Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New or forgotten Plat card. Need Centurion lounge access.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New or forgotten Plat card. Need Centurion lounge access.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lily23
The front desk person punched my card number into her computer and I assume the system was able to verify that it was a valid Amex plat card. I had never used the HKG lounge before either - just happened to be able to list off the card number by heart because I online shop too much
I'm going to ask if the HK Centurion Lounge can do that.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:31 pm

I can tell you with a US card and at a US centurion lounge not hard to get in without your card. They ask you for some info and look you up, and then scroll through the list of your cards to see which one is the platinum.
But I had a US driver's license and also a Social, which as a UK person you wouldn't have.

In terms of carrying the platinum card around, it is only good for perks, not good for spend, so not my go-to card. Sometimes I don't have it.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I can tell you with a US card and at a US centurion lounge not hard to get in without your card. They ask you for some info and look you up, and then scroll through the list of your cards to see which one is the platinum.
But I had a US driver's license and also a Social, which as a UK person you wouldn't have.

In terms of carrying the platinum card around, it is only good for perks, not good for spend, so not my go-to card. Sometimes I don't have it.
Centurion lounge in the US can look up your SSN? That will work for me.

US Platinum is good for spend on airfare, but I usually book online so I rarely bring the card with me when I go out.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
Centurion lounge in the US can look up your SSN? That will work for me.

US Platinum is good for spend on airfare, but I usually book online so I rarely bring the card with me when I go out.
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving my SSN to some lounge agent.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving my SSN to some lounge agent.
Really bad idea? If you call AMEX, they'll ask as well, but usually the last 4 digits.
DC9 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:59 pm

Slightly off topic.

I sneakily used a cancelled AMEX ultimate card that was still in date to gain access to the SYD lounge.

I was expecting the lounge lady to swipe the card and deny me entry, instead she took a photo copy of the card and made me sign the copy and let me in?

Im still a AMEX customer with a different card and was sort of expecting to get a please explain or a lounge charge but nothing came off it, this was last year.

DC9 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by dukesy
So we are on family vacation with me, wife, 2 kids and parent in laws (6 in total). (Wife is my additional cardholder on my platinum account)

The idea WAS that I would sign kids in (8 & 11 years old)…and wife would sign her parents in. Realised yesterday that she hasn't brought her physical card with her so I contacted Amex UK to ask them to email the MIA lounge to confirm her eligibility.

They have replied saying that they can't do this from the UK as they don't have a phone number or email address that they can contact their own lounge with!

Does anyone have any ideas that might help please
I didn't need to show my physical card in SFO Centurion if I signed in, in advance, with the app. I just walked up, showed ID and boarding pass, and they waved me in.

I read this feature was going to be rolled out to other lounges but not sure if it's working in MIA yet.
lsquare and DC9 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by synzero
I didn't need to show my physical card in SFO Centurion if I signed in, in advance, with the app. I just walked up, showed ID and boarding pass, and they waved me in.

I read this feature was going to be rolled out to other lounges but not sure if it's working in MIA yet.
Which app? AMEX app?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:29 am

Which app? AMEX app?
Yes, of course -- you can check in from the Amex app. But like I said not sure if it's active for Miami.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:57 am

Which app? AMEX app?
I just checked this morning and I can see Miami unfortunately doesn’t have the app check in functionality (you can see a “begin online checkin” button at the bottom of the lounge page in the app if it supports it).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Quick update !

Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

Thought it only polite to let you all know the outcome in case it helps anyone in the future

​​​​​​MIA isn't yet "live" in the app, but I went to the lounge armed with s photo of my wife's card, the guy on reception manually punched the numbers on and said"that's fine, you are good to go". He did seem happier that I had a photo of the actual card though so YMMV..

Hope this helps someone and thanks again for advice
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:10 pm

Glad it worked out!

The UK Plat is different than the US Plat? The US Plat allows immediate family in on just 1 card and I don't think there is a limit.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think the two parents-in-law traveling with the OP are considered to be immediate family for this purpose. Immediate family covers the kids, and then a second card is needed for two additional guests.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I was *lucky* in SEA a few months back. Had different AMEX card on me; they were able to verify information this time. Said I shouldn't be used to it however. So YMMV.

Glad the OP's family got in ^
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Something similar occurred to me a few months ago. I was able to pull up a recently paid Amex pdf statement that showed my wife as an additional cardholder. Lounge was OK with that.
origin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.