FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tried transferring points to Virgin Atlantic (VS) but points returned (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1976437-tried-transferring-points-virgin-atlantic-vs-but-points-returned.html)

happyvoid Jul 2, 2019 1:32 am

Tried transferring points to Virgin Atlantic (VS) but points returned

Tried transferring points to virgin atlantic today but points returned. Anyone ever had this happen? Know what the reason could be?

mia Jul 2, 2019 6:47 am

Was the transfer to primary cardholder's Flying Club account?

jgor123 Jul 2, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31260726)
Tried transferring points to virgin atlantic today but points returned. Anyone ever had this happen? Know what the reason could be?

That happened to me about 1.5 months ago. I had to call Amex and they were able to do the transfer over the phone. They didn't see anything wrong with the initial transaction and blamed Virgin's system. Points showed up instantly when the rep initiated the transfer.

kciflyer Jul 2, 2019 4:07 pm

I had the same problem. AmEx said that Virgin Atlantic rejected the transfer. VA had an outage/update problem yesterday with their Flying Club website that maybe caused the problem. Of course, I didn't find out about it until today when I was checking my account and the transfer bonus is no longer going. AmEx wouldn't give me any relief. VA recognized that it was probably due to some updates to their website they were doing, but wouldn't give me any courtesy points due to their screw up. I have transferred points successfully before, so it wasn't the wrong Flying Club number and I'm the primary cardholder so it's not being transferred to an authorized user's Flying Club account. Virgin Atlantic told me to talk to American Express and American Express told me to talk to VA. Very frustrating.

TravelStar Jul 3, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31260726)

Maybe Virgin (or Amex) was in the process of bringing down whatever programming they need to do to remove the 30% transfer bonus they had in place for two months that ended on 7/1/19. That could explain a snafu.

Based on your post date it appears you missed the bonus by one day?

happyvoid Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am

I just got a phone call from the membership rewards department, got all worried. and when i called back and ask why they call they said it was just to verify that the rejected points came back to my account

Stgermainparis May 4, 2021 7:50 pm

This happened to me twice tonight. I'm an AU but have full account access and successfully did a MR to VA transfer a few days ago. Instant transfer. Tonight my points bounced back after what looked like a successful transfer. Amex chat didn't know why but confirmed points returned. I figured I made some sort of typo when entering the card info so I tried again. Same problem. I'll try again later, but it's annoying.

Update: Tried again this morning. Amex points deducted from MR but not posted to VA even after an hour and log out/back in. The transfers I did last week were all instant. 😐

Update 2: Three hours later and there they are in VA.