Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) referral process questions and problems. [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Hoping to apply for an Amex Gold personal card today and would like to know the chances of sending out a referral before the elevated 50k bonus decreases on 1/9. I have seen that some of the cards were slow being sent out to high demand. Can you send a referral before you have the card in hand?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Can now answer my own question. Was able to immediately send out a referral for gold card immediately after approval. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Any problem with referring a spouse for referral bonus?

Perhaps the answer is obviously "yes," and that's why I can't find this discussed via a quick search here. But is there any problem with getting a referral bonus via referring a spouse for an Amex card (or other cards, such as Citi or Chase, for that matter)? And in turn, is there any problem with the spouse getting a sign-up/initial spend bonus through this process?

Thanks for any help with this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
"No problem whatsoever" is the answer to both of your questions.
krazykanuck and Gasolin like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"No problem whatsoever" is the answer to both of your questions.
Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:05 pm
Suspended

as an additional point, i have even referred myself for a card and gotten the bonus both as a referrer and as the referred. they have to be different cards though, e.g. a plat to a gold or v.v.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BenSenise
as an additional point, i have even referred myself for a card and gotten the bonus both as a referrer and as the referred. they have to be different cards though, e.g. a plat to a gold or v.v.
The First Rule of Fight Club - you don't talk about Fight Club.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The First Rule of Fight Club - you don't talk about Fight Club.
this has been talked about many, many times in this forum. that's how i found out about it.
i have no problem deleting this post though if the general consensus is that i should.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
AMEX Referral Bonuses

I have a referral offer for $100 on my old blue card. Can I refer a friend with this offer and still receive the bonus if the friend signs up for a Hilton Aspire card or does it not apply to co-branded cards?

Last edited by cmlsu; May 2, 2019 at 1:48 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:18 am

How to get the best referral offer?`

Would like to refer a friend to PRG card, my referral link shows 40k pts after $4k.
On some blogs (FM), their referral link is for 50K.
Is there any way to up my offer to bet available? Chat says no. HUCA?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think that Affiliate Marketing referrals (which pay cash to the referring business) are a separate channel from cardholder referrals. No reason the offers should always be the same.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:51 am

Question How long does Amex take to post referral bonus?

Referred someone who used my link and got approved. It’s been a month and still don’t see the bonus.

Now I know the official time frame is 8-12 weeks but want to know others’ experiences. Does it really take that long?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:16 pm

Friend applied 25 Aug, bonus posted 13 Sep so about 3 weeks.

Quick follow on question for anyone, if I product change my biz gold to a biz plat, will my referral link for the biz gold still work? Also, if I product change after a friend has been approved but before the bonus shows pending/posts, will I still obtain the bonus?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Dream of Flying
Referred someone who used my link and got approved. It’s been a month and still don’t see the bonus.

Now I know the official time frame is 8-12 weeks but want to know others’ experiences. Does it really take that long?

Referred wife, she got approved for the Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant and received the bonus at exactly almost 2 wks (before she received her card).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:27 pm
kyh

-----

Last edited by kyh; Dec 27, 2020 at 6:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.