Search

AMEX Platinum Losing Boingo [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
AMEX Platinum Losing Boingo [USA]

Just saw this reported by DoC

Effective May 1, 2019, Boingo Preferred Plan will no longer be a benefit on the Platinum CardŽ. Card Members who are enrolled in Boingo Preferred Plan as of 4/30/2019, will continue to have access to this benefit until 12/31/2019
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ternet-access/

I actually liked this benefit. I installed the iOS profile and would automatically connect to Boingo hotspots in several US airports. Outside the USA I used the Boingo app which got me on various hotspots. To bad to see it go.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JHake10
Just saw this reported by DoC

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ternet-access/

I actually liked this benefit. I installed the iOS profile and would automatically connect to Boingo hotspots in several US airports. Outside the USA I used the Boingo app which got me on various hotspots. To bad to see it go.
Amex cost-cutting in action.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Amex cost-cutting in action.
...and a reminder that none of these benefits are permanent: Uber; Airspace, Delta, Escape, Priority Pass; Saks, these are all contracted benefits which could end.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That's terrible news. Wonder when Amex will communicate this. Probably same true then for other cards that offered that benefit. Hope Amex will look for a replacement!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Interestingly it’s already gone from the list of benefits for my Plat when I log in to my AMEX account, but still shows up under my SPG/Bonvoy cards.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I actually use this benefit quite a bit. I wonder if they paid a fee, or a pay for use amount to boingo. I don’t foresee my keeping the plat more than another year at this point.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I actually use this benefit quite a bit. I wonder if they paid a fee, or a pay for use amount to boingo. I don’t foresee my keeping the plat more than another year at this point.
I am certainly in the same boat. I find it very hard to justify the renewal. For the nearly the same earning and spending potential as the Platinum / Gold card combination, I can just use my Prestige and be done with it.

In terms of MR cards, I'll keep my EDP and Blue for Business Plus.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

I actually could never get this to work. I also installed the iOS profile but it always told me that I needed to be connected to WiFi to be able to search for available WiFi connections.

Oh well....
lax01 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtree
I am certainly in the same boat. I find it very hard to justify the renewal. For the nearly the same earning and spending potential as the Platinum / Gold card combination, I can just use my Prestige and be done with it.

In terms of MR cards, I'll keep my EDP and Blue for Business Plus.
Does the Citi Prestige offer this benefit? On the Boingo website where they list plans they note an AMEX plan and a MasterCard plan. Do we know which MasterCards offer this?

Originally Posted by QtownDave
I actually could never get this to work. I also installed the iOS profile but it always told me that I needed to be connected to WiFi to be able to search for available WiFi connections.

Oh well....
Installing the iOS profile easily connected me to select hotspots in airports like DTW or EWR (passpoint secure). The app on iOS isn't the best and is a bit janky but helped in Asia connect to various hotspots.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This blog article from 2017 indicates that the MasterCard Boingo offer was not available to USA issued cards:

https://awardwallet.com/blog/free-bo...rcard-holders/

Things do change, and it's easy to verify if your MasterCard is eligible here:

https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Headline: Bedtime For Boingo.
mia, kennycrudup, hi55us and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave

Oh well....
The few times I tried, it never worked for me as well...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JHake10
Does the Citi Prestige offer this benefit? On the Boingo website where they list plans they note an AMEX plan and a MasterCard plan. Do we know which MasterCards offer this?

Installing the iOS profile easily connected me to select hotspots in airports like DTW or EWR (passpoint secure). The app on iOS isn't the best and is a bit janky but helped in Asia connect to various hotspots.
I have had Boingo work for unlimited internet access at dozens of airports in Europe and also at many other airports and other places. The app has gone better at connecting me than used to be the case.
kennycrudup, JHake10 and roundtree like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:51 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

A disappointing development... I use Boingo at airports often and most recently this past Sunday at PHX.

Hopefully a new benefit is in the works. I would welcome inflight WiFi reimbursement or more relaxed parameter for airline travel reimbursements as a substitute for losing this benefit.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
A disappointing development... I use Boingo at airports often and most recently this past Sunday at PHX.

Hopefully a new benefit is in the works. I would welcome inflight WiFi reimbursement or more relaxed parameter for airline travel reimbursements as a substitute for losing this benefit.
At this rate just pick an airline and any charge from that airline qualifies. Still not as competitive as other cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.