Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) refreshed Green Card (October 2019).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express (USA) refreshed Green Card (October 2019).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:29 pm

It should give 3x on mortgage payments, student loan payments, and utilities payments. I’m guessing they’d get 300 million applications and either go out of business or be the number one card issuer by far.
GTITAN and lax01 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Reportedly the new Green Card will be made from reclaimed ocean plastic:

Later this year, American Express will introduce redesigned Consumer and Corporate Green Cards which will each be made primarily with reclaimed plastic collected from beaches, islands and coastal communities by Parley for the Oceans, an organization focused on combating marine plastic pollution
..and there will be a card recycling program.

American Express is introducing the company’s first Card recycling program. Rolling out in 2020 for U.S. Consumer, Small Business, and Corporate Cards, the program will enable Card Members to send back their expired or non-working Cards to American Express who will ensure that they are properly recycled.
Read more here, but no information about rewards or benefits:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...irst-Ever-Card
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia
Reportedly the new Green Card will be made from reclaimed ocean plastic:

..and there will be a card recycling program.

Well, it is the "green" card.
mia and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
New Green card coming soon

Looking on Amex website, I found this:

"Coming Soon: The New American Express® Green Card
Coming this Fall, the new Green from Amex will include new benefits, features, and an innovative design using 70% reclaimed plastic. Learn more"

Link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...een-from-amex/
sdsearch and m.photog like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Logging into the Amex app already confirms this new design on the corporate green card.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
There was a leak posted on reddit from the AMEX website adverting $100 off with Away luggage. I know this has been rumored but it seems like a weird partnership for a Green Card. Seems a better fit for the Gold or Platinum. Also, there is an official landing page noting the card is coming this fall with no other info.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...een-from-amex/
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JHake10
There was a leak posted on reddit from the AMEX website adverting $100 off with Away luggage. I know this has been rumored but it seems like a weird partnership for a Green Card. Seems a better fit for the Gold or Platinum. Also, there is an official landing page noting the card is coming this fall with no other info.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...een-from-amex/
Probably $8 credit a month with $12 credit in December toward purchasing Away luggage.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
But how would this work? Do you pay monthly or yearly?

When is AMEX going to do bar/brewer/winery 4x card??
Or redeem MR points for craft beer?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
If they added a rideshare/travel spend bonus category, I would pick the card up as that is the main one they seem to be missing.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Logging into the Amex app already confirms this new design on the corporate green card.
There's now an option to choose the new recycled plastic card when ordering a replacement corporate green card (note there's also separate option to request a contactless card, but the chat agent confirmed to me that the recycled card would be contactless). Mine should by Monday. Not sure if it's an option yet for regular green cards.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

I’m hearing the following rumors (take with grain of salt):
  • New AF $150
  • 3x points on Airfare and Transit (not 100% on what transit means but I assume it includes Uber/Lyft)
  • $100 towards CLEAR (not sure if this is a benefit or part of the sign up)
  • $100 towards Away luggage (not sure if this is a benefit or part of the sign up)

If this is true it’s pretty lackluster. I rather pay for the Chase Sapphire Reserve which is essentially $150/yr after the easy to use travel credit. I’ll then get 3x on all travel and dining and a Priority Pass membership including restaurant locations.

Last edited by JHake10; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
  • New AF $150
  • 3x points on Airfare and Transit (not 100% on what transit means but I assume it includes Uber/Lyft)
  • $100 towards Away luggage (not sure if this is a benefit or part of the sign up)

If this is true it’s pretty lackluster. I rather pay for the Chase Sapphire Reserve which is essentially $150/yr after the easy to use travel credit. I’ll then get 3x on all travel and dining and a Priority Pass membership including restaurant locations.
If tAMEX is not including unlimited 2x on non-bonus won't even consider adding this on .....

Safe Travels
JHake10 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by GTITAN
If tAMEX is not including unlimited 2x on non-bonus won't even consider adding this on .....

Safe Travels
Agree. If this is it I'm pretty underwhelmed for a $150/yr card. If you have the Plat or Gold the 3x on airfare is redundant or downgrade.

On the consumer side Amex sorely needs a simple card or way to earn at least 1.5x to compete with Chase Freedom Unlimited or Citi Double Cash.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
  • New AF $150

For those that are already on the Platinum and Gold (5x airfare, 4x dining, 4x grocery), it basically completes the loop by adding 3x transit (Uber and Lyft). Theoretically, people who have the Platinum and Gold can replace Chase/Citi (which are essential given Amex doesn't offer an Uber/Lyft spend category) and go all in on MR (provided they don't need 3x on hotel spend).

In all honesty? I think I will stick with my CSR. It is a $150 fee to add some diversity to the points earning, pairs well with the Freedom Unlimted and Freedom, etc. It's also good to have a Visa or Two without FX fees.

Citi Premier + Double Cash is also a good, cheaper combo.
mia, GTITAN and notquiteaff like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
For those that are already on the Platinum and Gold (5x airfare, 4x dining, 4x grocery), it basically completes the loop by adding 3x transit (Uber and Lyft). Theoretically, people who have the Platinum and Gold can replace Chase/Citi (which are essential given Amex doesn't offer an Uber/Lyft spend category) and go all in on MR (provided they don't need 3x on hotel spend).

In all honesty? I think I will stick with my CSR. It is a $150 fee to add some diversity to the points earning, pairs well with the Freedom Unlimted and Freedom, etc. It's also good to have a Visa or Two without FX fees.

Citi Premier + Double Cash is also a good, cheaper combo.
Chase Sapphire Reserve is a keeper for me due to the low effective annual fee, it’s a visa, and board travel category. Hotels generally cost hundreds of dollars for a stay and I want to get some type of bonus on that. We’ll see how this shakes out.
notquiteaff and cuthroat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.