Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) refreshed Green Card (October 2019).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express (USA) refreshed Green Card (October 2019).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by 355F1
I also got the 45k offer on Safari Incognito.

I'm still trying to get a 100k offer for the personal platinum card.....LoL....been trying for over a year. I think I need to just take the 60k points.

there’s a 70k incognito platinum offer I see all the time.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In some ways it could be seen as a more useful card than the Amex Gold if you don't max out groceries.
I do like how the travel category isn't restricted to AMEX travel purchases. Perhaps AMEX will loosen up a little and strip the requirement from the Platinum for hotel purchases, seeing as the cardholder gets screwed unless they're booking with the Fine Hotels program. It's not possible to use your AAA discounts and such through AMEX travel, where I routinely save $30 a night at some places.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
HAHA that is exactly what I did. 45k SUB, plus already purchases Away, got the 10% off and just paid Comcast today and hoping to use the Clear with delta. I consider today a win win for me ...
I mis-spoke - its $109 for Clear...so basically $9 as a SkyMiles Member...I also have Global Entry / TSA Pre and never wait in line but I guess it can't hurt to have Clear in case you get stuck somewhere with long TSA Pre lines - I mean, for $9? Why not
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
I mis-spoke - its $109 for Clear...so basically $9 as a SkyMiles Member...I also have Global Entry / TSA Pre and never wait in line but I guess it can't hurt to have Clear in case you get stuck somewhere with long TSA Pre lines - I mean, for $9? Why not
I think it's actually $119 for skymiles and 109 for elite, so for me it would be $20. But yeah, for $20 not bad.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jags86
there’s a 70k incognito platinum offer I see all the time.

haha....I’m still trying!!!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:13 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I think it's actually $119 for skymiles and 109 for elite, so for me it would be $20. But yeah, for $20 not bad.
I was locked into a $99 clear membership from a few years back just as a basic Skymiles member with no elite status.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
If you ask me, it looks like AMEX is trying to put out compelling individual cards but does not want people holding 3 or 4 cards earning maximum rewards on everything.
I think they said something along these lines on the investor call. They were not trying to create a combination of cards for a cardholder to carry together. The only exception was those who held a corporate card, they wanted to pitch the personal cards more to that group.

They definitely did lift travel quite a bit. I am intrigued people are interested in the Away bonus. The bags are really expensive, but I don't think they are Tumi-like standards. eBags (another common Offers partner, now owned by Samsonite) tends to have a lot more choices (from low price to more expensive). Of course, eBags does a lot of marketing spend on discounts that stack all over.

The annual fee is a bit high though for the entry card, but AmEx has been pretty clear on focusing on the AF products. I don't think they will completely get rid of cards like Everyday and Magnet, but they could.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you ask me, it looks like AMEX is trying to put out compelling individual cards but does not want people holding 3 or 4 cards earning maximum rewards on everything.
I was thinking about this tonight as I walked home and thought you know a Green/Gold/Plat combo would really cover nearly all expenses in a bonus category. But it would require $950/yr in gross AF spend, with $920/yr in potential credits. So the question then becomes - what % of face value do you assign to all the credits, and can you continue to use them (esp in light of recent changes in the wind of airline credits). I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't and haven't paid for a Clear membership, so I mentally don't count that as an offset.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:55 pm

When I went through the process, it was $109 when you have a SkyMiles account associated with a Delta Sky Miles AMEX card...
miadukes likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 355F1
haha....I’m still trying!!!
Have you checked the referrals thread? That's where I got my 70K Platinum offer. (I did have to try 5 browsers on 2 computers before it came up correctly, however).
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Have you checked the referrals thread? That's where I got my 70K Platinum offer. (I did have to try 5 browsers on 2 computers before it came up correctly, however).
Embarrassingly enough, I have not. 🙄😒

I don’t really know anything about those referrals but I guess I am now going to read that thread now!

thank you!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I agree that this card is a Chase Sapphire Preferred competitor, and a good one. It could even give CSR a run for its money if you're someone who doesn't use the PP membership or the Chase travel portal. (That travel portal has saved my ... several times when trying to economize on trips.)

It's bizarre how Amex's "high-end" Platinum is actually a pretty limited point earner, whereas this little green card could be a dynamo.

I wonder if you're considered a prior holder of this card if your old green card was upgraded to gold?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I agree that this card is a Chase Sapphire Preferred competitor, and a good one. It could even give CSR a run for its money if you're someone who doesn't use the PP membership or the Chase travel portal. (That travel portal has saved my ... several times when trying to economize on trips.)

It's bizarre how Amex's "high-end" Platinum is actually a pretty limited point earner, whereas this little green card could be a dynamo.

I wonder if you're considered a prior holder of this card if your old green card was upgraded to gold?
I actually agree with you on this. Seems like a pretty good card to get and might even be easier to get than a CSR since it’s a charge card.

My question is if AMEX is as generous as Chase’s definition of travel? Does all OTAs, transit, ferries, hotels, and travel agencies qualify as travel? If so, I could see this at least replacing CSP.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
I actually agree with you on this. Seems like a pretty good card to get and might even be easier to get than a CSR since it’s a charge card.

My question is if AMEX is as generous as Chase’s definition of travel? Does all OTAs, transit, ferries, hotels, and travel agencies qualify as travel? If so, I could see this at least replacing CSP.
Yes. But not all travel places accept amex.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Yes. But not all travel places accept amex.
Oh...you’re right. Aside from that, you sure the AMEX Green covers as much categories as CSP/CSR? It would be nice to see an in-depth comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.