Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge LHR T3 (Opened 12 October 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Centurion Lounge LHR T3 (Opened 12 October 2021)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...bs/2208906002/

A 7,000-square-foot lounge will open at London’s Heathrow Airport next year, occupying a post-security location in Terminal 3.
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I welcome the additional choice when it comes, but I'm not sure that I prefer it being at LHR T3 over the other terminals at LHR.

That said, this is good news for LHR-departing flyers on Emirates, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Vueling, Iran Air, PIA, MEA, Garuda, the Oneworld airlines when not using LHR T5/T4, and perhaps a rag tag bunch of others. In other words, this seems like the most sensible LHR terminal to have a Centurion lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Not sure I see the logic. 3rd party lounges are rare in the US and airline clubs are dumpy, so Centurion works as an incentive for card members. Heathrow already has higher end 3rd party lounges like Plaza Premium where access can be gained through credit cards, so Centurion's USP is diminished
af fp likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. Good add for DL flyers who aren't PM/DM plus AA Gold and below who don't have OW lounge access.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
....not sure that I prefer it being at LHR T3 over the other terminals ....
T3 is terrific for me, because all of the nonstop flights to Miami (AA, BA, VS) use Terminal 3, although each of those airlines already has a good lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
T3 is terrific for me, because all of the nonstop flights to Miami (AA, BA, VS) use Terminal 3, although each of those airlines already has a good lounge.
I am looking to maximize free agency in my air travel purchase habits, and that’s why I’m not sure I prefer it at LHR T3.

“That said, this is good news for LHR-departing flyers on Emirates, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Vueling, Iran Air, PIA, MEA, Garuda, the Oneworld airlines when not using LHR T5/T4, and perhaps a rag tag bunch of others. In other words, this seems like the most sensible LHR terminal to have a Centurion lounge.”

But T3 is where I would prefer an Amex Plat/Centurion Fast Track security screening line, at least when originating out of LHR.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I wonder if 7,000 sq. ft. will be large enough.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:18 pm
mia

Size doesn't seem to be the only factor. Miami is 8,000 square feet, La Guardia is 5,300. Lots of complaints about crowding at MIA, but few at LGA. Heathrow Terminal 3 is well served by other lounges, which should reduce the demand for access to any one lounge. In any event, I expect American Express had to go after a space that was available, and they have demonstrated a willingness to expand when they can (DFW, MIA, SEA).
xcollon likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Size doesn't seem to be the only factor. Miami is 8,000 square feet, La Guardia is 5,300. Lots of complaints about crowding at MIA, but few at LGA. Heathrow Terminal 3 is well served by other lounges, which should reduce the demand for access to any one lounge. In any event, I expect American Express had to go after a space that was available, and they have demonstrated a willingness to expand when they can (DFW, MIA, SEA).
LGA has an overcrowding problem too -- it's hit me repeatedly -- but it's not as extreme as at other lounges in the US because of its landside location. When a lounge is located landside and you're departing on a flight and need to clear security to get airside, you can't hang around in the lounge as long since you have to pad time for whatever variance the TSA/airport security screening checkpoint line and process may throw your way at the time of wanting to clear the screening checkpoint.

LHR is a different beast than LGA. I expect that a lot of Amex Plats/Centurions entitled to use airline lounges for LHR T3 departures will start skipping the use of some of those airline lounges and default to using the Amex lounge there. At LHR T3, I probably will be one such person doing so and repeating it most weeks of the year unless and until the lounge offering is poor(er) in one or more ways than the airline lounges which I can use as an alternative.

The Amex lounge may even incentivize me to use LHR T3 more than I already do.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by GUWonder
L.... I expect that a lot of Amex Plats/Centurions entitled to use airline lounges for LHR T3 departures will start skipping the use of some of those airline lounges and default to using the Amex lounge there. .....
Why? (I'm not disagreeing, just asking.)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Why? (I'm not disagreeing, just asking.)
— maybe because I assume some others will behave at times sort of like I have and will.

More seriously, a variety of reasons including: additional/higher included guest benefit; becoming a default habit due to familiarity; using a benefit they feel has come at a personal expense; and some others.

I suspect that Priority Pass lounge use by AmexPlat/Cent drops somewhat when an Amex Centurion lounge facility of some sort is opened in the same terminal. From Amex Plats/Cents there probably is some substitution out of pre-existing lounge facilities and out of airline lounge facilities and into the Amex lounge facilities. I don’t see why LHR T3 would be an exception unless T3 Amex Centurion lounge is made more of a downmarket lounge in terms of quality and comfort — something I suspect Amex wouldn’t want to do at LHR of all places.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Does anyone know when the centurion lounge will open at T3?
They are still saying 2019. My experience of watching lounges being built at UK airports is that you can probably add 6-9 months to that. The Aspire lounge in Gatwick South is currently six months or so behind. Until you see how tough the security rules are for the contractors on getting materials and machinery in and out on airside spots you can't begin to realise how hard it is.

Last edited by mia; May 13, 2019 at 11:41 am Reason: Moderator COPIED post to second thread.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is anything like the HKG Centurion lounge, there will be no compelling reason to choose it over most of the other lounge choices many flyers would have. I'd certainly choose the VS Clubhouse and CX lounge over something comparable to HKG Centurion. Of course compared to the priority pass lounges (No 1 and Aspire I think?), I'm not sure, haven't been in those, Centurion could be preferred.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:52 pm

Terminal 3 Heathrow lounges

Does anyone know when the Centurion Lounge will open?
Also I have access to No 1 Lounge and Club Aspire. Could someone tell me which is best -- terminal 3 Heathrow for departing AA. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Sadly, the Centurion Lounge has abandoned its original intent: an exclusive lounge for Centurion Card holders. The first lounge, I believe, opened at Las Vegas and was an exclusive oasis: offering top end drinks (I recall Johnnie Walker Blue Label being available for self-serve). The dining options were an array of dishes, freshly delivered, from the celebrity chefs of the city's finest hotels and restaurants. I am fortunate to have visited that lounge several times; before the doors were flung open to all and any Platinum Card holders. Now, the only advantage to a Centurion Card holder is complimentary champagne. Food has become a ubiquitous chicken melange of little merit. Priority Pass serves me better now. That said, most UK airline and third-party Lounges far surpass their US counterparts. I shall hope to find a recreation of that original Las Vegas Centurion Lounge arising in T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.