Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Euro Amex (German / DE vs ICC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Euro Amex (German / DE vs ICC)

I live in Germany, but have a UK Amex Platinum card. My Dad is my supplemental plat holder, and my girlfriend has a supplemental green card.

I travel to the UK a lot, so being able to spend in Sterling comes in useful.

But living in Germany, every time I use my card here I have to pay a non-sterling transaction fee.

I was thinking about getting either an ICC Euro card, or a German Amex card - but can't quite work out the differences between the respective ICC cards vs the German equivalent (so ICC green vs DE Green, ICC Gold vs DE Gold, ICC Plat vs DE Plat).

What is really irritating is that in Belgium Amex have a miles and more card that gets 1.5 points per euro, if only that card existed in Germany The miles and more credit card here isn't Amex, and is 1 point per 2 Euro, which is shocking!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
How do you redeem Membership Rewards points?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Usually by transferring to BA at the mo.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:49 pm
mia

Membership Rewards Germany site is down now for maintenance, but here is the link to check their partners and transfer ratios tomorrow:

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.d...e2btravelsleep

The ICC site is here, BA is a partner and the ratio is 3(MR):2(Avios):

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....ansferpartners

See also some recent discussion here:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29953649
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:46 am
mia

Membership Rewards Germany site is back up. BA is a transfer partner, and the ratio is 5(MR):4(Avios) which is more attractive than the International Euro Card's rate.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Membership Rewards Germany site is back up. BA is a transfer partner, and the ratio is 5(MR):4(Avios) which is more attractive than the International Euro Card's rate.
Given how a pound is worth more than a euro, a 5:4 ratio is probably as close to the UK 1:1 in spending terms as I am going to get.

Some excellent info, many thanks for the links Mia I guess I will be applying for a DE Amex soon, hopefully I can use global transfer AND a referral...

Last edited by mia; Aug 16, 2018 at 7:38 am Reason: Cleanup after COPYING this post to another thread.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I am also based in Germany for 1.5years or so but instead have been relying on ICC EUR Platinum card. Fee-wise quite good (EUR 550) although, there was no sign up bonus when I got it. Otherwise you get all the perks, insurance, hotel memberships, etc. Offers-wise, you get a few from time to time for restaurants and hotels but nothing impressive. There is though typically one complimentary "Afternoon Tea" or similar offer every quarter or so at selected venues (typically London or Dubai), but have not had the chance to enjoy these yet.

MR ratio indeed not great but, for example, you get 1 to 1 MR to Singapore airlines miles.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
As mentioned, Amex acceptance in Germany is poor, to the extent where it is impossible to rely on it as a sole card.

Up to now, my strategy has been to have the Amex Gold as my first choice card and the DKB Hilton Visa as my back-up. I am now seriously considering ditching the Amex completely and just using the Hilton card.

I have not really investigated the Miles & More affiliated cards, as the program does not suit my flying pattern at all. However, it might be worth a look for M&M people as I believe it stops miles from expiring.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As mentioned, Amex acceptance in Germany is poor, to the extent where it is impossible to rely on it as a sole card.
I think this is a bit of a cliché/overstatement. My Amex charge is about 10x what my MC charge is, per month. Mind you, in many mid-market restaurants and shops Amex is indeed not accepted. There is a Chinese restaurant in Berlin that advertises that it ONLY accepts Amex as a card!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think this is a bit of a cliché/overstatement. My Amex charge is about 10x what my MC charge is, per month. Mind you, in many mid-market restaurants and shops Amex is indeed not accepted. There is a Chinese restaurant in Berlin that advertises that it ONLY accepts Amex as a card!
It is getting better, but acceptance is far from universal. The company I work for accepts Visa and MC (only for the last 2 years), but not Amex, which as a heavily tourist orientated business is frankly crazy.

I have even come across some reasonably sized non-chain hotels that don't take credit cards. Credit card acceptance in Germany is getting better, but is still the lowest in the developed world.

The reason for this is that Germany is a very cash orientated society and there is quite a cultural aversion to debt.
Mackle likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

There also seems to be a PayBack VISA card which might be a decent backup for when Amex isn’t accepted.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Good luck. As I reported elsewhere, for me it did not seem to work (and I was in the same situation with UK Plat since 2012) so I had to resort to ICC.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFSV
Good luck. As I reported elsewhere, for me it did not seem to work (and I was in the same situation with UK Plat since 2012) so I had to resort to ICC.
DE banking and finance seems to work in strange ways!

And thanks. Did you ever find out why it didn’t work for you?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:33 am
mia

Moderator action

A number of posts describing the Global Transfer process (UK to DE) have been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...periences.html
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
ICC MR:Marriott transfer rate?

As a non-EU German resident, I have a gold amex. The MR transfer options are miserable and customer service can be really random.

What is the SPG/Marriott transfer rate for the amex ICC card? In germany it is 3:2, 1/3 less than before with SPG. Is it 1:1, as it is elsewhere?

No ICC Euro card signup bonus, is this ever offered?

Last edited by vanabb; Sep 19, 2018 at 3:10 am Reason: signup bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.