Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to American Express Business Platinum in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to American Express Business Platinum in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Low Roller
There are still a few differences:
- the business version still doesn't include Hilton Honors gold status, which the personal one does
- the business version still offers a 25K referral bonus (vs. 15K for personal), although that may be changing on March 21st
- the business version still has a higher sign-up bonus

So the two on going benefit is the $200 travel credit and Hilton Gold Status.

Maybe soon there will be another benefit from a Hotel since they Fairmont severed its ties with ALL Credit companies including Visa Privilege.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
So the two on going benefit is the $200 travel credit and Hilton Gold Status.

Maybe soon there will be another benefit from a Hotel since they Fairmont severed its ties with ALL Credit companies including Visa Privilege.
Well, if comparing the 2 platinum cards, the $200 travel credit isn't really a benefit since you can pay $699 for the personal version and get a $200 credit or pay $499 for the business version with no credit.

As for hotels, this is new, but I don't know anything about it:

Abercrombie and Kent Villas Your Business Platinum Card opens doors to the exquisite private residences around the world known with Abercrombie and Kent Villas. Receive an exclusive Cardmember amenity valued at $250 USD with your stay.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Well, if comparing the 2 platinum cards, the $200 travel credit isn't really a benefit since you can pay $699 for the personal version and get a $200 credit or pay $499 for the business version with no credit.

As for hotels, this is new, but I don't know anything about it:
The A&K villas benefit has been here for a while, I've seen this in my welcome booklet.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
The A&K villas benefit has been here for a while, I've seen this in my welcome booklet.
Oh, I guess I just didn't notice it.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:22 pm

A&K Villas?! Never heard of it before but did a quick check! Very interesting, would have rather have a more "popular hotel". Good to know though...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Can the AMEX Biz Plat access the Centurion Lounge? But some info online says AMEX Biz Plat OPEN.

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Can the AMEX Biz Plat access the Centurion Lounge? But some info online says AMEX Biz Plat OPEN.

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access
Both the Business and Personal Plat cards are eligible for complimentary access to the Centurion lounges, plus 2 guests. You can even access the lounges upon arrival, without an ongoing boarding pass (i.e., not a layover), if the lounge is accessible.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:01 am

Well that sort of sucks. I was planning on cancelling my personal plat and keeping the biz as my main plat. Not so much the $100 fee increase, which isn't that bad, but the 25k referral potentially going to 15k.

Gotta try and sneak in another referral before cancelling this puppy. Has anyone held two of these cards at once? Different business name, I mean. 25K referral + 75k spending bonus for $399 isn't a bad deal at all.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Much weeping and gnashing of teeth in the heraclitus household as a result of the recently-announced changes (well, all coming from me as no one else cares, ha). I just jumped into the pool with a signup by my wife a couple of months ago. Now I suppose I'll throw down an extra hundred bucks and sign up for one myself to generate at least one juicy 25K referral to me before whatever bad news will come on March 22.

I envy those of you who have been smartly cashing in on a steady diet of 25K referrals!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Well that sort of sucks. I was planning on cancelling my personal plat and keeping the biz as my main plat. Not so much the $100 fee increase, which isn't that bad, but the 25k referral potentially going to 15k.

Gotta try and sneak in another referral before cancelling this puppy. Has anyone held two of these cards at once? Different business name, I mean. 25K referral + 75k spending bonus for $399 isn't a bad deal at all.
Well, earlier upthread I was only speculating that the 25K referring power would drop to 15K. Other potential changes could be the 75K welcome bonus could drop back down to its previous 'normal' of 50K as a referred signup (or to 60K to match the Personal Plat's offer?). Or, maybe Amex will decide to stop allowing the Biz Plat to refer to the other MR cards (Plat / Biz Gold)?

Again, all speculation on my part. Would be nice if someone with an Amex affiliation could give us some sneak-peek info before Mar 22nd arrives. A little knowledge could go a long way!

BTW, I think you mean $499 and not $399, as the new Biz Plat fee, right?

As for holding 2 Biz Plat cards concurrently, I recall someone had reported that two Biz Gold cards were successfully opened, by reason of having more than one business entity to tie them onto. YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, earlier upthread I was only speculating that the 25K referring power would drop to 15K. Other potential changes could be the 75K welcome bonus could drop back down to its previous 'normal' of 50K as a referred signup (or to 60K to match the Personal Plat's offer?). Or, maybe Amex will decide to stop allowing the Biz Plat to refer to the other MR cards (Plat / Biz Gold)?

Again, all speculation on my part. Would be nice if someone with an Amex affiliation could give us some sneak-peek info before Mar 22nd arrives. A little knowledge could go a long way!

BTW, I think you mean $499 and not $399, as the new Biz Plat fee, right?

As for holding 2 Biz Plat cards concurrently, I recall someone had reported that two Biz Gold cards were successfully opened, by reason of having more than one business entity to tie them onto. YMMV.
I meant 399/25k/75k. Lamenting what might be going away. You’re right...speculating at this point. But when is the last time we got something positive out of these dates?

i will suck it up and not do anything too aggressive.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:55 am

Got a flyer for this in the mail today.

You need to call to enrol in the new program. If you currently have a PP card, it will be updated in 5 days after you call in - if you don't have one they will issue a new membership for you.

Allows for you + 1 guest, also sup card holders can also get their own PP which I'm not sure is the case w/ personal cards .
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by syntxerr
Got a flyer for this in the mail today.

You need to call to enrol in the new program. If you currently have a PP card, it will be updated in 5 days after you call in - if you don't have one they will issue a new membership for you.

Allows for you + 1 guest, also sup card holders can also get their own PP which I'm not sure is the case w/ personal cards .
I called in yesterday to enroll.
Confirmed there's no additional fee for doing so for existing cardholders.
I said I already have a Priority Pass card from another program; the rep chose to issue me a new card which I'll receive in "2-3 weeks".
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jerry305
I called in yesterday to enroll.
Confirmed there's no additional fee for doing so for existing cardholders.
I said I already have a Priority Pass card from another program; the rep chose to issue me a new card which I'll receive in "2-3 weeks".
I called in yesterday. Rep said there was no need to call in. Told her I received a mailing that said I had to. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back and said she was mistaken, took my info and took about 5 to 10 minutes to complete an application. Read me a disclaimer and said I could use the existing PP card I got from this program when I got my Bus Plat.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:17 am

I guess I will call in to sign up for priority pass now that the visits are free. I've had a biz. platinum card for almost 2 years but didn't bother with priority pass since I didn't think most PP lounges were worth US$27/visit and most places I travel to have either plaza premium or centurion lounges, which I could access for free without a PP card. I just wish there was a way to do this online. Phone calls are such a pain
Hyacinthe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.