FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express Canada application and reward strategies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1886843-american-express-canada-application-reward-strategies.html)

zoqfotpik Mar 17, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm missing the $200 annual travel credit on my plat card. I know I haven't used it this year so I called AMEX and they said they will look into it. Anyone else having the same issue?

dtolen Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike (Post 29534072)
Datapoint (others may be aware of this but I had never stumbled upon it):

Opened SPG Amex last August. $120 annual fee or whatever. Met min spend. Received SPG Points.
Cancelled just now. Received a $60 credit from the annual since only had the card open for 6 months?

Pleasant surprise I hadn't read about elsewhere.

In what form did you receive the $60 credit? Do they send out a check? As the card was canceled it follows that you cannot use it anymore for the credit.

Just curious as I am thinking of having an early cancelation of my SPG card and hoping for a prorated annual fee.

xtremester Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm

I cancelled my Amex Bus Gold on 12/25 and re-applied just last week. I didn't get an instant approval and called in on Monday to push the application along (they wanted to double check identity) and was approved on the spot. Today though I got a letter on the mail saying that they are unable to process my application at this time because I recently submitted an application for the same American Express card. They then said that my original application was approved and I will receive a new card in 7-10 days and the additional application will not be processed. Has anyone else got this before? Would I still qualify the welcome bonus or is the gig up? Thanks

grandgourmand Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by xtremester (Post 29548213)
I cancelled my Amex Bus Gold on 12/25 and re-applied just last week. I didn't get an instant approval and called in on Monday to push the application along (they wanted to double check identity) and was approved on the spot. Today though I got a letter on the mail saying that they are unable to process my application at this time because I recently submitted an application for the same American Express card. They then said that my original application was approved and I will receive a new card in 7-10 days and the additional application will not be processed. Has anyone else got this before? Would I still qualify the welcome bonus or is the gig up? Thanks

Did you change the name of the business on the card? Might be they would just re-open the old card if it's the same.

Otherwise, you might not get the card because of the quick re-application. Or, you might just get it in the mail as per the second email and you'll be fine.

I don't think "the gig is up". When cancelling and re-applying for the same card in such a short time frame you're bound to trigger some IT glitches at their end.

xtremester Mar 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand (Post 29551332)
Did you change the name of the business on the card? Might be they would just re-open the old card if it's the same.

Otherwise, you might not get the card because of the quick re-application. Or, you might just get it in the mail as per the second email and you'll be fine.

I don't think "the gig is up". When cancelling and re-applying for the same card in such a short time frame you're bound to trigger some IT glitches at their end.

If the card comes I'll double check the card number. If it is a new number, does that mean they didn't reopen the old card?

CanadianMike Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by dtolen (Post 29537555)
In what form did you receive the $60 credit? Do they send out a check? As the card was canceled it follows that you cannot use it anymore for the credit.

Just curious as I am thinking of having an early cancelation of my SPG card and hoping for a prorated annual fee.

Credited to the cancelled card. The card remains on the online AMEX portal for a while (although says cancelled at the top).
Going to call and transfer it to one of my other cards.

xtremester Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Changes to the Perkpolis/Venngo offers for Amex Personal Gold... higher minimum spend but thankfully not the worse that can happen...

Say YES to the American Express® Gold Rewards Card – As a Perkopolis Member, pay a $150 annual fee* and receive a statement credit of $150 when you spend $1,500 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership2. Plus, receive an additional 2,500 Membership Rewards points annually upon renewal**.
Earn a Welcome Bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards points when you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership1

JJonahJ Mar 22, 2018 8:09 am

It's Mar 22, 2018. The day of anticipated changes to the Business Platinum Membership Rewards card's referral program.

As of 9:50am, Mar 22, PC web browser at Amex Biz Plat page still shows 25K referring bonus and 75K welcome bonus after $7K
  • You¹ could earn a referral bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards® points² for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by March 21st, 2018

But on the Amex mobile app the Business Platinum page shows:
  • You could earn a referral bonus of 15,0000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral.

xtremester Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ (Post 29554152)
It's Mar 22, 2018. The day of anticipated changes to the Business Platinum Membership Rewards card's referral program.

As of 9:50am, Mar 22, PC web browser at Amex Biz Plat page still shows 25K referring bonus and 75K welcome bonus after $7K
  • You¹ could earn a referral bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards® points² for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by March 21st, 2018

But on the Amex mobile app the Business Platinum page shows:
  • You could earn a referral bonus of 15,0000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral.

Looks like the sign-up bonus is lower too. Just checked my referral link...

Earn 60,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points through this referral offer when you charge $7,000 in purchases to your Card in the first 3 months of Cardmembership9. Offer subject to change at any time.

Low Roller Mar 22, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by xtremester (Post 29554305)
Looks like the sign-up bonus is lower too. Just checked my referral link...

ouch.

gonebabygone Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am

A dark day indeed.

I know we've been spoiled for awhile now...but increased annual fee + decreased sign-up bonus + increased minimum spend, all within a few months. Definitely ouch.

Oh well. In the churning game, it never goes too good, or too bad, for too long :)

coljung Mar 22, 2018 9:26 am

Sad day indeed.

Low Roller Mar 22, 2018 9:38 am

It looks like changes may be coming to the SPG referrals too. My referral page now says:

You could earn a referral bonus of 5,000 Starpoints®* for each approved referral if your friend applies for the Card by April 16th 2018.

agjil Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller (Post 29554541)
It looks like changes may be coming to the SPG referrals too. My referral page now says:

They cut the referral rate from 10K to 5K only a few months ago.
Are they getting rid of referrals entirely this time?

Low Roller Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 29555160)
They cut the referral rate from 10K to 5K only a few months ago.
Are they getting rid of referrals entirely this time?

That would be my guess. I was going to apply got the SPG business card later in the spring but may move it up to mid-April to get the extra 5K.