Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Letters saying Amex was unable to send statement notifications to e-mail address

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letters saying Amex was unable to send statement notifications to e-mail address

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had this happen to them? On several occasions I've received letters in the mail saying Amex wasn't able to send statement notifications to the e-mail I provided. But the e-mail I provided is correct and doesn't need to be updated.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Yeah just started up for me. Hate getting tons of statements from Amex in the mail when I have all of them paperless...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LWT3
Has anyone had this happen to them? On several occasions I've received letters in the mail saying Amex wasn't able to send statement notifications to the e-mail I provided. But the e-mail I provided is correct and doesn't need to be updated.
yeah. I think it is nonsense. I have gotten several such letters over the last few years, my email address works fine.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Unrelated to American Express, I've seen this issue with TIAA. I wonder if the corporate giants have some defective email processing system that returns or generates false information about valid email addresses.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
...the e-mail I provided is correct...
Do you open the emails?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you open the emails?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Why do you ask?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The sender can often see if an email is opened, and if you do not open X consecutive emails this might trigger a notice. Just speculation.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by mia
The sender can often see if an email is opened, and if you do not open X consecutive emails this might trigger a notice. Just speculation.
Good idea...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia

Thanks. I'm getting used to card issuers doing irrational things, but that could be a logical explanation.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

I also had that problem a few years ago with my Office 365 hosted company email.

I switched to my hotmail email for them and haven’t had an issue since.

Easier to switch than fight.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
That would be poor form on the sender's part. My understanding is that the sent email has a one pixel image that is linked to a URL unique to that message, so when the email client loads the image, the URL notes that it was accessed and the sender assumes the message has been seen. The receiver, however, can tell the email client not to load remote images, and thus could be reading the messages without triggering the sender's detection scheme.

I welcome corrections to my understanding.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by serpens
That would be poor form on the sender's part. My understanding is that the sent email has a one pixel image that is linked to a URL unique to that message, so when the email client loads the image, the URL notes that it was accessed and the sender assumes the message has been seen. The receiver, however, can tell the email client not to load remote images, and thus could be reading the messages without triggering the sender's detection scheme.

I welcome corrections to my understanding.
Correct. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nt-in-messages for Mozilla Thunderbird. I generally don't allow my laptop email client to access remote content, unless I determine the email is important and unreadable without the remote content.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the confirmation and the link, notquiteaff.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:39 am

Been happening for years. I'm annoyed at all the paper they are wasting, but I don't really pay attention to them and they go right to the shredder.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:15 pm

Did you have an autoresponder on your email at any point prior to this happening?

This same thing happens to me like clockwork every December when I go on vacation and set my gmail autoresponder. For the last 3 years. Their system mistakes my vacation autoresponder as the email bouncing back as though it was a sent to a bad email address. It's a PITA, because then you have to go into your account and change it back to paperless settings, for each account, individually, and you have to have the card in hand when you do, as it asks for the security code on the card. Hard to believe they either don't realize this is happening or can't fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.