Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: LH Sen
I wonder what sort of sign up reward they'll offer..??
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Who the hell cares about the bonuses.

1. Will this get me into Delta Sky Clubs
2. Will this get me into Centurion Lounges
3. Does it come with Priority Pass
4. Does it come with Plaza Premium Network
5. Does it come with complimentary hotel/rental car statuses
6. Does anybody really give a hoot about their obvious attempts to get millennial business?
BenSenise likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson

6. Does anybody really give a hoot about their obvious attempts to get millennial business?
Lots of people care about the bonuses. I agree that it won't replace my biz platinum if it doesn't have good lounge access, but I'd certainly get one if the sign-up/referral bonuses are good enough to make the annual fee worthwhile.
msat likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

You can sign-up for the Platinum card to get those benefits. This card is not meant to replace it

And I give a hoot about AMEX getting millenial business, because it means more cardholders out there which would entice more merchants to accept AMEX which would make it easier to earn MR points and also reach the welcome bonus minimum spend requires for all AMEX cards
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
And I give a hoot about AMEX getting millenial business, because it means more cardholders out there which would entice more merchants to accept AMEX which would make it easier to earn MR points and also reach the welcome bonus minimum spend requires for all AMEX cards
Good point. I love Amex and would ditch my Visa completely if Amex were more universally accepted. It's great to get 5x points on groceries and dining but the best grocery stores around here don't accept it and neither do most restaurants in this area.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Good point. I love Amex and would ditch my Visa completely if Amex were more universally accepted. It's great to get 5x points on groceries and dining but the best grocery stores around here don't accept it and neither do most restaurants in this area.
There might be more AMEX accepting restaurants near you than you'd think. Find your nearby AMEX accepting restaurants and businesses with this AMEX online map tool:
https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:17 am

There might be more AMEX accepting restaurants near you than you'd think. Find your nearby AMEX accepting restaurants and businesses with this AMEX online map tool:
https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome
No, there are a few and I use it when possible, but there are alot more places that I like to go that don't accept it. Thanks for the link, but the list it generated for my area included several businesses that are no longer in operation or multiple entries for the same business.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Low Roller
No, there are a few and I use it when possible, but there are alot more places that I like to go that don't accept it. Thanks for the link, but the list it generated for my area included several businesses that are no longer in operation or multiple entries for the same business.
haha sometimes you shouldn't even ask if a business takes AMEX because you know what their answer will be

Also guys do you know what other card is cobalt-colored? 3 letters. Has a C, S, and R.

anyways despite me being critical I am fully supportive of AMEX coming out with more products and destroying the Canadian banks with their absolute craptastic products and service
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Interesting, but not for me. And I don't see the point to it actually, except that it is a pure "marketing" effort, it's not like they need "another" offering in their already saturated list of cards for you to choose from.

I have an AMEX platinum card and their Simply Cash card, and haven't gotten any news about this one yet. Geez, they send me 1-2 promotional emails every other day it seems.

As to AMEX acceptance, I rarely find merchants saying they don't take it here in Calgary anymore on the same frequency that they used to, and when I do get that response, I educate them that AMEX has changed their posture regarding interchange fees and that they should call their POS terminal rep. Got my dentist hooked up when they told me they didn't take AMEX. Cited a 5% discount rate as the reason (unverified). He called and they got signed up at under 2%. They matched his VISA rate.
MasterGeek likes this.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
My prognosis - it will be placed between Gold and platinum in price point. This is why they removed FYF from Gold Card so that there would not be such a huge nexus between Gold and Cobalt. Since the target group is millennials, I would guess $299, to justify a $399 there will have to be significant tangential benefits such as lounge access whereas the card seems to be leaning towards earn rather than perks.

If Amex is negotiating with Marriott, then the card will be part of their strategy of where SPG cardholders will go unless the Marriott deal is tempting. They have shored up their numbers with the sign up bonus now they have to tell Marriott the card offerings must be worth keeping.

Initial sign up needs to be enticing, but the public offer on Platinum is 50,000 so I will say 40,000.

I also think the card will become part of referral programme but maybe not straight away unless it only allows referral to the same card. Why would Amex reward Platinum cardholders or Biz Plat cardholders for signing people up to a card that Amex hopes there will be buzz about anyway.

I do wonder about the MR transfer partners. 5 points per $ on grocery = 2.5 SPG if that were an option, that is a huge bonus over the SPG branded card. I cannot see Aeroplan having and reluctance whatsoever to selling any number of points to Amex given its predicament.

Oh the anticipation Lets hope it is not a disappointment!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:00 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by markandrew
My prognosis - it will be placed between Gold and platinum in price point. This is why they removed FYF from Gold Card so that there would not be such a huge nexus between Gold and Cobalt. Since the target group is millennials, I would guess $299, to justify a $399 there will have to be significant tangential benefits such as lounge access whereas the card seems to be leaning towards earn rather than perks.
Really? I thought this would be a lower end card given there was no mention of travel benefits like lounge access or travel credit in the video. Other cards in the 300 fee range all have lounge access and priority benefits.

Also, cobalt is a pretty cheap metal no? Much lower than that of gold and platinum.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KDS777
Interesting, but not for me. And I don't see the point to it actually, except that it is a pure "marketing" effort, it's not like they need "another" offering in their already saturated list of cards for you to choose from.

I have an AMEX platinum card and their Simply Cash card, and haven't gotten any news about this one yet. Geez, they send me 1-2 promotional emails every other day it seems.

As to AMEX acceptance, I rarely find merchants saying they don't take it here in Calgary anymore on the same frequency that they used to, and when I do get that response, I educate them that AMEX has changed their posture regarding interchange fees and that they should call their POS terminal rep. Got my dentist hooked up when they told me they didn't take AMEX. Cited a 5% discount rate as the reason (unverified). He called and they got signed up at under 2 %. They matched his VISA rate.
Sweet! I'm gonna be educating merchants too about the actual AMEX acceptance fees. One restaurant claimed AMEX would charge 11% when I inquired about why they won't take AMEX
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Every little bit helps right ?

FWIW, until this June, I worked for a large multi-national North American software company. One of our products was an integrated POS system with our programs. So, this is, from my end anyways, not second hand information, as I have set it up myself.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:17 am

Sweet! I'm gonna be educating merchants too about the actual AMEX acceptance fees. One restaurant claimed AMEX would charge 11% when I inquired about why they won't take AMEX
Yeah, when I asked a Giant Tiger cashier whether they took Amex, she lectured me on how expensive it was and how it would raise prices so much that they wouldn't be able to compete. If I hadn't been so shocked by her tone (how dare I even ask about Amex), I would have mentioned that their two biggest competitors (Walmart and Dollarama) both take Amex and seem to be doing ok.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
haha sometimes you shouldn't even ask if a business takes AMEX because you know what their answer will be

Also guys do you know what other card is cobalt-colored? 3 letters. Has a C, S, and R.

anyways despite me being critical I am fully supportive of AMEX coming out with more products and destroying the Canadian banks with their absolute craptastic products and service
In the early 2000's AMEX had a Cobalt card in the US. It was marketed to Tweens.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.