FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

Gig103 Apr 14, 2017 1:45 am

I was excited that UberEats was working for other folks, and was hoping it was going to be like the Airline credit that "can't be used for airfare" but gift cards usually work.

So, I finally signed up for an Uber account and added my PLT as my only payment. At Ubereats checkout, my payment "couldn't be validated". I did not try without the "credits" checked because I wasn't interested in paying the $5 delivery out of pocket for a restaurant 2 miles away.

travelbugging Apr 14, 2017 1:54 am

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28168603)
Now on my THIRD 'disabled' message after they claimed to have 'fixed' the issue...

I am curious whether there are others in this thread who only signed up because of the AXP benefit.

The inability to use either app (uber or uberEats) is seriously and rapidly devaluing the Platinum card and will cause me to question whether I want to maintain it come renewal time...

I have and I had the biggest headache trying to sign up for an account because they wouldn't accept my Google Voice number. It was a nightmare and their reps are useless and incompetent. If it wasn't for this amex promo I would never ever gone through all the troubles I did for a damn uber account.

dhuey Apr 14, 2017 4:14 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28174516)
It's pretty clear from the terms (cannot be applied to other Uber services) that UberEats is not intended to be part of this benefit, and we should assume it will disappear. However, it's also clear that Uber is experiencing some technical challenges implementing the benefit, and fixing this may not be top of their to-do list.

That's my take as well. Let's enjoy $15/mo. of free UberEats while we can. These fixes might seem simple from the outside, but I'm sure it takes some serious IT work.

michelle227 Apr 14, 2017 10:27 am

And now up to SEVEN times seeing the error messages and immediately having my account disabled...so much for the claim from UberSupport last night that they had fixed the problem. They had asserted in a message that there was some sort of an issue making their system believe it was a fraudulent use of the card, which says THEY have a software problem given that AXP has repeatedly assured me there is no issue with the Platinum card...

mia Apr 14, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28178602)
...issue making their system believe it was a fraudulent use of the card...

Can you try another credit card to test if the problem is specific to the card account?

acarney Apr 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28177217)
That's my take as well. Let's enjoy $15/mo. of free UberEats while we can. These fixes might seem simple from the outside, but I'm sure it takes some serious IT work.

Ugh, I wish they would at least let the credit apply to their service fee... but of course they wouldn't be as likely to make money off people. They want an Uber ride to be $30 or something and the credit to just discount the service, not "free rides".

STS-134 Apr 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28174516)
It's pretty clear from the terms (cannot be applied to other Uber services) that UberEats is not intended to be part of this benefit, and we should assume it will disappear. However, it's also clear that Uber is experiencing some technical challenges implementing the benefit, and fixing this may not be top of their to-do list.

Given what I know about Uber, I'm not sure it's technical challenges as much as them not wanting to do it. That said, if the UberEats loophole disappears, my finger will be pretty close to pushing the cancel button on this card, because they will have raised the fees and in exchange provided a benefit that I find completely useless.

TheMadBrewer Apr 14, 2017 10:23 pm

I had such a bad experience signing up for Uber a couple years ago I just use Lyft (where I can). My AF won't go up until next May so we'll see if I use the Uber benefit enough to keep the card.

My Uber experience was this: There was a (I guess) dormant account with my phone number (my number was fairly new then, less than 6 months old). They would not let me complete the sign up saying "phone number in use." Now the usual way around this is to call/text the number to prove I own it. Nope, took three weeks of back and forth with their support until they finally fixed it. By then the trip where I was going to use it had passed.

For company supposedly based on their "amazing technology" it was a big fail.

4aks Apr 15, 2017 10:29 am

I have Apple iOS, my default payment is Plat card, my credits appear, my credit selection slider is 'on' ... I took two rides last night, and they are showing as pending charges at full price -- is my account broken ?

hiima Apr 15, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 28182710)
I have Apple iOS, my default payment is Plat card, my credits appear, my credit selection slider is 'on' ... I took two rides last night, and they are showing as pending charges at full price -- is my account broken ?

Check your receipt. And the pending charges won't post.

4aks Apr 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 28182815)
Check your receipt. And the pending charges won't post.

The help desk responded, my account was set to 'family profile' - and the benefit fine print says they won't credit rides initiated under this setting ... I found the button to switch it to personal profile ... but disappointing they distinguish the two , for what reason I don't know -- AMEX should have been better about not allowing arbitrary restrictions that leave customers confused and with a bad experience

mia Apr 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 28183496)
... won't credit rides initiated under this setting ... I found the button to switch it to personal profile ...

Perhaps you could summarize the rule, the setting, and where to look and change it in the Wikipost at the top of the thread?

dinanm3atl Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Those that have seen that 15 credit via UBEReats can you answer some questions for me. To note both apps are the most up to date(confirmed before placing order).

UBER app - Has the AMEX Plat and says "Benefits". It shows there is a benefit there.
UberEATS app - Just has the DL AMEX Plat and the AMEX Plat. No mention of benefit.

Will it just 'auto' post if you order via UBEReats?

Explorer789 Apr 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging (Post 28176979)
I have and I had the biggest headache trying to sign up for an account because they wouldn't accept my Google Voice number. It was a nightmare and their reps are useless and incompetent. If it wasn't for this amex promo I would never ever gone through all the troubles I did for a damn uber account.

Well, my main phone number is currently suspended for some stupid reason due to their own incompetence and ridiculousness, and they are currently refusing to reactivate despite my willingness to cooperate.

I was about to create a new account with a google voice number instead, even got to the point where it sent a verification code via sms, but decided not to go through with it. At what point did they recognize it was a google voice number?

STS-134 Apr 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28184495)
Well, my main phone number is currently suspended for some stupid reason due to their own incompetence and ridiculousness, and they are currently refusing to reactivate despite my willingness to cooperate.

I was about to create a new account with a google voice number instead, even got to the point where it sent a verification code via sms, but decided not to go through with it. At what point did they recognize it was a google voice number?

When you enter the verification code, it'll tell you that the number is not valid. If you call them and threaten to use Lyft instead (which works with Google Voice numbers by the way), they can have a human override their stupid system. At least they did for me.

Explorer789 Apr 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 28184506)
When you enter the verification code, it'll tell you that the number is not valid. If you call them and threaten to use Lyft instead (which works with Google Voice numbers by the way), they can have a human override their stupid system. At least they did for me.

*sigh* I hate calling customer service for anything. I might just go to one of their offices nearby and sort it out in person.

dhuey Apr 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl (Post 28184345)

That's been the experience for most of us, but it might cease at any point. As mia mentioned above, it doesn't seem like Amex intends for the credit to apply for UberEats.

dinanm3atl Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28184872)
That's been the experience for most of us, but it might cease at any point. As mia mentioned above, it doesn't seem like Amex intends for the credit to apply for UberEats.

Will report back then. Used it first time tonight on the card. See what happens.

gooselee Apr 16, 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl (Post 28184345)
Those that have seen that 15 credit via UBEReats can you answer some questions for me. To note both apps are the most up to date(confirmed before placing order).

UBER app - Has the AMEX Plat and says "Benefits". It shows there is a benefit there.
UberEATS app - Just has the DL AMEX Plat and the AMEX Plat. No mention of benefit.

Yes, that's what happened for me. BUT, I could also clearly see $15 Credits in the UberEats app under my payment options, and again just before ordering indicating that credits would be used as a payment method.

My email receipt received immediately after food arrived also shows the $15 credit and the final amount (with $15 removed) is what posted to my Amex the following day.

If your app shows no indication of credits at all, I suspect they will not be applied. And if your email receipt shows they were not applied, even more so.

dinanm3atl Apr 16, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28186208)
Yes, that's what happened for me. BUT, I could also clearly see $15 Credits in the UberEats app under my payment options, and again just before ordering indicating that credits would be used as a payment method.

My email receipt received immediately after food arrived also shows the $15 credit and the final amount (with $15 removed) is what posted to my Amex the following day.

If your app shows no indication of credits at all, I suspect they will not be applied. And if your email receipt shows they were not applied, even more so.

Agreed. Not sure why my card doesn't show as valid for credits in both apps.

michelle227 Apr 17, 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28178636)
Can you try another credit card to test if the problem is specific to the card account?

In theory I could, but if AXP Plat isn't going to work, then I have no use for them. The ONLY reason I was going to use ANY Uber app was the credits.

The latest excuse from them came over the weekend, this time claiming that they 'noticed' I was using a BlackBerry and that they 'no longer support' BlackBerry. Only problem with that claim is that my BBY is using the Android OS (Marshmallow if anyone needed to know), not the proprietary BB10. When that was pointed out, they then asked for screen shots of the OS...have not heard back yet (interestingly enough, both of the emails from them came yesterday [Easter Sunday]).

mia Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28190331)
...if AXP Plat isn't going to work, then I have no use for them. .

Understood. Changing the card would be a diagnostic step, not a solution.

michelle227 Apr 17, 2017 12:54 pm

And now up to TEN failures followed by prompt disabling of the account. Each attempt today has followed the assurances by that crack Uber support staff that the issue was resolved and I could 'again' use the app...

I am to the point of believing what I saw in an early search that if, for whatever reason, your account is 'disabled,' you are permanently screwed in the Uber servers even when you did nothing wrong.

At this point, it will be interesting to see what AXP retention does come renewal time...I am not sure I can justify the renewal fee if I cannot have access to the benefit in a manner that allows its use...

travelbugging Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28184495)

When you try to get a ride or place an order (UberEats) :mad:. Frustrating! If the system knows it is a google voice number why even send a verification code?

Mirk Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am

I am in the UK and got the UK Amex Plat card recently. When I added the card in my Uber account, it displayed for a little while the 15$ credit but it disappeared shortly after.

I'm wondering if the credit will come back when I fly back to the US in a few weeks.

If not, I will do some attempts by removing the card and adding it again + change the billing country.

Any other data points with non-USA Amex Plat cards ?

michelle227 Apr 18, 2017 3:22 pm

By way of quick update, they FINALLY figured something out...they won't respond to WHAT the issue was, but they had DM'ed me back on Twitter and said to try it again and it worked.

The true test will be if it works the next time I try to use it...

Credits were applied for those so interested...

majorkirkus Apr 24, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by twkidM3 (Post 28107234)
does anyone know if we can use the credit to buy giftcards on uber?

Have you tried this?

michelle227 Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm

latest update seems to have closed the ability to use the credits on UberEats...

GiantCow Apr 24, 2017 1:13 pm

I wonder if the credits will go through if I just don't update... Still seeing the $15 credit on mine.

Stgermainparis Apr 25, 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow (Post 28224035)
I wonder if the credits will go through if I just don't update... Still seeing the $15 credit on mine.

Same here. I first downloaded the app about 5 days ago.

STS-134 Apr 25, 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28223978)
latest update seems to have closed the ability to use the credits on UberEats...

How did you determine this? I highly doubt that this is done on the app side, it's likely done on the server side. Otherwise people would hack the app, forge packets, use credit card number generators, etc., to generate credits that they aren't due.

michelle227 Apr 25, 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 28227362)
How did you determine this? I highly doubt that this is done on the app side, it's likely done on the server side. Otherwise people would hack the app, forge packets, use credit card number generators, etc., to generate credits that they aren't due.

As it turns out, I typed too soon...

I did not see the 'use credits' slider when I placed the order and my AXP was pre-auth'ed for the order amount. However, looking online today, the amount actually charged was the amount less the remaining credit.

my bad...

Was a little less than thrilled that the 'booking fee' has gone up another dollar though...at least for the area I was ordering.

dhuey Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28228054)

Thanks for correcting. Still, I think it's likely they'll discontinue allowing the credit on UberEats.

STS-134 Apr 25, 2017 12:37 pm

I did not see the 'use credits' slider when I placed the order and my AXP was pre-auth'ed for the order amount. However, looking online today, the amount actually charged was the amount less the remaining credit.

my bad...

Was a little less than thrilled that the 'booking fee' has gone up another dollar though...at least for the area I was ordering.

Well that's good. Pushes back the date I have to call them and ask for at least a $100 AF credit and I cancel if they don't give it to me...although that's still over a year off because the higher AF doesn't hit me until next year.

mrlemm Apr 25, 2017 1:21 pm

my bad...

I just used uberEats and the credit box was checked when i was paying but dont see anything reflecting on the receipt that i used my credits.... i guess i will wait a day to see what is charged.

I did not update the app yet either..

**UPDATE**

Looked online and the credit went thru, i was charged $1.66 instead of 16.66

travel_mav Apr 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28223978)

Does the emailed receipt after delivery no longer apply the credit?

mrlemm Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav (Post 28228725)
Does the emailed receipt after delivery no longer apply the credit?

the receipt showed credit being applied

Credits -15.00

CHARGED $1.66
Personal ••••

mattvorwald Apr 27, 2017 9:21 am

So... I discovered last night there is a way to get multiple $15 credits per month. That was neat. :)

hiima Apr 27, 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mattvorwald (Post 28236533)
So... I discovered last night there is a way to get multiple $15 credits per month. That was neat. :)

Which is... Pm me?

mattvorwald Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 28236545)
Which is... Pm me?

Which is an awesome loophole that if spread publicly would be shut down immediately.