Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
... INTERNATIONAL locations, but even that is pretty fraught with cost/benefit and consider the fact that probably the majority of plat/cent card holders at some international location (london, Frankfurt, hong kong, dubai, etc)...
Nonetheless: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ng-2017-a.html
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by silver02accord
If Uber eats is included in the Uber credit I am overly excited.
Sadly, no: "Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services."
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
After some thought, I think I'm going to downgrade my Plat to the basic green card as it's my oldest credit card account. I'm not into this increased fee at all. I don't use Uber, I use Lyft or the company black car service and $15/mo credit is kind of ridiculous. I'm hardly ever in Centurion Lounge airports so it's a benefit I can't really take advantage of. I still have my Biz Gold Card so if I am in one, I could pay the fee I suppose. And of course, I love my SPG AMEX.

To make up for the Plat benefits like Priority Pass and the travel credits when I get the Sapphire Reserve. Really quite disappointing what AMEX is doing here for the Plat though.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by silver02accord
...downgrade my Plat to the basic green card
You can downgrade to Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) for the same net cost, but don't do this if you have not already earned a new account bonus for PRG.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eyeNina
After some thought, I think I'm going to downgrade my Plat to the basic green card as it's my oldest credit card account. I'm not into this increased fee at all. I don't use Uber, I use Lyft or the company black car service and $15/mo credit is kind of ridiculous. I'm hardly ever in Centurion Lounge airports so it's a benefit I can't really take advantage of. I still have my Biz Gold Card so if I am in one, I could pay the fee I suppose. And of course, I love my SPG AMEX.

To make up for the Plat benefits like Priority Pass and the travel credits when I get the Sapphire Reserve. Really quite disappointing what AMEX is doing here for the Plat though.
What did you get the card for in the first place? Why was it worth it to you for $100 a year less?

Regards
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
What did you get the card for in the first place? Why was it worth it to you for $100 a year less?

Regards
Probably for the 100k Plat bonus? Add the 2x$200 airline credit during the first year and it substantially pays for itself. Whether they choose to keep it after the first year is entirely based on individual circumstances and uses. It makes sense for the other guy to downgrade or cancel if he does not plan to use any of the benefits.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Further devaluation here (2 guest policy - no exception for immediate family over 2):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...te-family.html
This is a good change - at least for me. The have to do something to reduce crowding.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Probably for the 100k Plat bonus? Add the 2x$200 airline credit during the first year and it substantially pays for itself. Whether they choose to keep it after the first year is entirely based on individual circumstances and uses. It makes sense for the other guy to downgrade or cancel if he does not plan to use any of the benefits.
Sure of course, that is obvious. But this particular posters wording struck me as implying that they had the card and perhaps would've kept it but the $100 increase was driving them to now cancel. I find that interesting because I usually can easily extract that amount of value in one FHR stay at a high end hotel.

Regards
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sure of course, that is obvious. But this particular posters wording struck me as implying that they had the card and perhaps would've kept it but the $100 increase was driving them to now cancel. I find that interesting because I usually can easily extract that amount of value in one FHR stay at a high end hotel.

Regards
I'm not speaking for the OP, however this is the difference between card holders. Some stay at high end hotels and resorts and find FHR useful. Other card members stay mostly at mid-level hotels in order to fit their budgets and be able to travel as much as they want. Amex reached out to both groups of travelers with the Plat card over the past 33 years. As the competition changes, Amex must decide how to maintain their bottom line, and if their strategy is to lose some of their less affluent customers, than so be it. They will only lose them as Plat card holders. These folks will still keep their other Amex accounts. When I call to cancel, I'm just making a rational decision. I'm not angry at Amex, and I'm keeping my other accounts open.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Regards
Chase's Luxury Hotel Collection has the same offerings. And Citibank Prestige offers the 4th night with few exceptions. I've used all three benefits in the last year and without question the Prestige benefit wins.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:36 am

So it seems like a lot of people on here will be canceling their cards due to the fee raise...I'm curious to see how this will impact the crowding at the Centurion lounges. I also think that most AMEX Plat users are probably not churners or loyal FT readers, so they won't even think twice about the annual fee increase. Obviously the CSR is looking like a better card right about now, but I'm curious to see how the fee raise will pan out re crowding at Centurion lounges.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
So it seems like a lot of people on here will be canceling their cards due to the fee raise...I'm curious to see how this will impact the crowding at the Centurion lounges. I also think that most AMEX Plat users are probably not churners or loyal FT readers, so they won't even think twice about the annual fee increase. Obviously the CSR is looking like a better card right about now, but I'm curious to see how the fee raise will pan out re crowding at Centurion lounges.
Good point.

I suspect there's a fair number of churners who apply for the (CSR/Prestige/Plat) purely to reap the 1st year benefits without any intentions of keeping it the following year. With Chase's 5/24, Amex once/lifetime and Citi 1/24, I expect significant attrition in cardmembers for all 3.

In my view, there will definitely be less overcrowding when the one and done crowd are done.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:56 am

Even if the Ameriprise platinum disappears, a couple can keep the gravy train rolling for a good 8 years

Platinum, Mercedes Benz platinum, schwab platinum, business platinum.. Multiplied by two.

With the Ameriprise, no big deal to sign up and just use it with the annual fee waiver. Small or no sign-up bonus anyways, so who cares about the once per lifetime rule
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Even if the Ameriprise platinum disappears, a couple can keep the gravy train rolling for a good 8 years
Pretty select group here. Assuming excellent credit, married, and both willing to churn cards with business profiles. And, starting fresh. 8 years is forever in the credit space--lots may change over that time.

Originally Posted by crimsona
Platinum, Mercedes Benz platinum, schwab platinum, business platinum.. Multiplied by two.

With the Ameriprise, no big deal to sign up and just use it with the annual fee waiver. Small or no sign-up bonus anyways, so who cares about the once per lifetime rule
Most I know already have had Plats, Bus Plats and Mercedes. And, if the Lounges are that important, a person would pay for the fee regardless of the bonuses.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
That's what I used to think in the past when AMEX eliminated lounge access on American and Continental Airlines, raised the annual fee from $300 to $450 and added the $200 annual credit - many people posted about cancelling their cards, but lo and behold it seems that the net number of cardmembers have stayed the same or even increased. Maybe people threatening to cancel are much higher than those who actually do cancel. Others may change their mind about cancelling after getting good retention offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.