Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Location is in A-West:

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
For food they had challah french toast, a lamb and eggs dish, potatoes, kale and potatoe borekas (also really good) and oatmeal.
People never seem to agree on food -- and this Lounge's food REALLY sparks disagreement. On the web, I see reviews describing this lounge's food as both fantastic and awful. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves.

I am surprised you would label the borekas as "really good." Is that on a "lounge scale" -- where everyone, including me, doesn't really expect good food -- or on a "would I eat this at home or in a restaurant scale"? For me, the borekas epitomize AMEX's effort to serve unusual but not particularly tasty food in their lounges. Even something as ordinary as a "pig in a blanket" would be tastier to me than their boreka. And, as I've said, I'm somebody who's spends several weeks a year in "unusual" foreign countries eating local food.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by CMK10
...They were pouring mimosas from when I first arrived so I went to ask for a Kir Royale. The bartender told me she wasn't allowed to serve alcohol until 10:30 (not sure if that's a local rule or club policy) but she would have the drink ready to go at 10:30. ...
Seems to be a national Centurion Lounge policy - they'll serve standard mimosas and bloody marys, but nothing else. (E.g., I once asked for a bloody mary with gin instead of vodka and was told, not before 10:30.)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
People never seem to agree on food -- and this Lounge's food REALLY sparks disagreement. On the web, I see reviews describing this lounge's food as both fantastic and awful. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves.

I am surprised you would label the borekas as "really good." Is that on a "lounge scale" -- where everyone, including me, doesn't really expect good food -- or on a "would I eat this at home or in a restaurant scale"? For me, the borekas epitomize AMEX's effort to serve unusual but not particularly tasty food in their lounges. Even something as ordinary as a "pig in a blanket" would be tastier to me than their boreka. And, as I've said, I'm somebody who's spends several weeks a year in "unusual" foreign countries eating local food.
I'm easy to please when it comes to food in general and when I'm at an airport lounge I'm comparing it to other airport lounge options which in this case would be the Admirals Club or United Clubs at PHL. Therefore, I really enjoyed the spread at the CL. It was filling and it lasted me to dinner and the different flavors were fun. Obviously the borekas aren't restaurant quality but they were different and tasty enough for my taste.

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Seems to be a national Centurion Lounge policy - they'll serve standard mimosas and bloody marys, but nothing else. (E.g., I once asked for a bloody mary with gin instead of vodka and was told, not before 10:30.)
That's very interesting. Unfortunate too as I love a madras in the morning.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Even something as ordinary as a "pig in a blanket" would be tastier to me than their boreka. And, as I've said, I'm somebody who's spends several weeks a year in "unusual" foreign countries eating local food.
Please no pigs in a blanket, no hot dogs, no cheeseburgers, and no cheesesteaks (even for the PHL lounge). I would never touch any of those sitting in the lounge.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Amazingly quiet (5-6 people) on a Monday around lunch (12:30) but by the time I left at 1:30 the crowd started filling out with nearly every seat taken. I wonder if this is really a product of AA's banking policy.

Had sometime to speak with the front desk for once without anyone in line behind me, they confirmed showers would "take a few months" before they could be used.

For the holidays they had set-up a photobooth and decorate-your-own gingerbread station
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
Please no pigs in a blanket, no hot dogs, no cheeseburgers, and no cheesesteaks (even for the PHL lounge). I would never touch any of those sitting in the lounge.
But you'd eat a "boreka"? Why? Because it's different? It's not like they're healthy or anything. And I'm pretty sure these borekas would lose any public taste taste to a stupid hot dog piece in a crescent roll.

Weird food isn't good food. It still has to taste good. There's probably a good reason that 99% of Americans don't know what a boreka is.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peetahvw
For the holidays they had set-up a photobooth and decorate-your-own gingerbread station
Those look good, and will be fun for the family next week. As I've alluded to before, I'd toss the Israeli menu but keep the desserts! Whoever in charge of the sweets is doing a great job.

But what exactly is a "photobooth"? Do I have to post my gingerbread on social media to brag about what a wonderful life I have (and get everyone to sign up for a Platinum card)?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
But you'd eat a "boreka"? Why? Because it's different? It's not like they're healthy or anything. And I'm pretty sure these borekas would lose any public taste taste to a stupid hot dog piece in a crescent roll.

Weird food isn't good food. It still has to taste good. There's probably a good reason that 99% of Americans don't know what a boreka is.
Why is boreka in quotes? The fact that 80% of Americans are uncultured swine who wouldn't recognize good food if it hit them in the face and dragged them to a decent restaurant doesn't mean that lounges in international airports have carte blance to serve crud. There's plenty of places to find pigs in a blanket and other garbage. I'm pleased that at least one lounge has the decency to serve decent food.

Which reminds me, the Cent lounge in MIA had a wonderful osso bucco with coucous that I have yet to top. Which just means I need better osso bucco places, but I'd love to take suggestions.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 16, 2017 at 8:04 am Reason: Did the math on the percentage of swine
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Why is boreka in quotes? The fact that 80% of Americans are uncultured swine who wouldn't recognize good food if it hit them in the face and dragged them to a decent restaurant doesn't mean that lounges in international airports have carte blance to serve crud. There's plenty of places to find pigs in a blanket and other garbage. I'm pleased that at least one lounge has the decency to serve decent food.
Sorry, but I've been to about 100 countries and I think, on average, the USA has the best food. I will admit that France and Italy might give America a run for its money, however.

But this is irrelevant. If AMEX were to open a Centurion Lounge at TLV and feature cheesesteaks, I would similarly argue that such a move was insane.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're mixing things up at the PHL Centurion lounge. The famous "Centurion cheapo chicken parts" have appeared, replacing the not-very-good-but-different meatball kababs. Thighs, wings, etc. I challenge anyone to say they're "delicious."

Some of the sides are different, too. Chickpea stew, Persian rice, etc. About as good as the previous sides.

Oatmeal cookies have replaced chocolate chip. Boo! But they're pretty good. Malabi tastes worse than last time.

Try the green hornet drink.

Gingerbread station looks fun, You also get a free gift for Christmas -- male or female. Male is like a biz class toiletry kit. I'm not so into that stuff, so I don't know if the shampoo and such is any good,

EDIT;

Watch your molars on the gingerbread cookies. Hard as rocks today!

Last edited by iahphx; Dec 19, 2017 at 10:31 am Reason: more
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Lounge comfortably busy this morning at 7:30 am.

Lots of holiday traffic based on the number of young children. Don't mind the kiddos but one family has used their luggage to block a hallway so their toddler can have a makeshift playpen. (In front of the flight display bosrd) Really???? They also have an alcove sitting area off the bar so it's not like they didn't have other options.

Food is slowly improving... maybe. Shashuka has been replaced by a spinach mushroom quiche. French toast is dry like they didn't soak it long enough before cooking. Yogurt no longer offered.

Oh well, off in search of breakfast in the terminal!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Segments
Lounge comfortably busy this morning at 7:30 am.

Lots of holiday traffic based on the number of young children. Don't mind the kiddos but one family has used their luggage to block a hallway so their toddler can have a makeshift playpen. (In front of the flight display bosrd) Really???? They also have an alcove sitting area off the bar so it's not like they didn't have other options.

Food is slowly improving... maybe. Shashuka has been replaced by a spinach mushroom quiche. French toast is dry like they didn't soak it long enough before cooking. Yogurt no longer offered.

Oh well, off in search of breakfast in the terminal!
I visited on the 23rd and found plenty of greek yoghurt... don't think that it's a permanent change
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A

Which reminds me, the Cent lounge in MIA had a wonderful osso bucco with coucous that I have yet to top. Which just means I need better osso bucco places, but I'd love to take suggestions.
I completely agree! I just wish that they would change up their evening offerings once in a while. Each time I've visited in the evening (at least 5x), they've had the exact same layout every time. It's great food for an airport lounge, but gets boring after a bit.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 am

rolled through the phl cent lounge last night around 5 pm. empty, my gf and i were the only ones at the bar. loved the rice and meatballs, headed back next month en route to DUB. Seems pretty small, can see it filling up really fast.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Finally made it to the PHL amex lounge. ~830 on a Wed morning. The staff could not be more friendly which is a stark contrast to the rest of the airport. The space is not huge and there was a steady stream of people coming in, but overall it still felt relatively open.

The breakfast selection but actually quite tasty. The boreka was very good. The quiche was probably my favorite and I don’t usually even like quiches.
Update. Just ran into Michael Solomonov at the lounge. Said hello and he was such a gracious guy.

Last edited by SP03; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.