FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Shop Small: Extra Point or Percent on most USA Amex Cards at Small Biz to 12.31.2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1796814-shop-small-extra-point-percent-most-usa-amex-cards-small-biz-12-31-2016-a.html)

FreakingFlyer Oct 16, 2016 11:53 am

Shop Small: Extra Point or Percent on most USA Amex Cards at Small Biz to 12.31.2016

Can't imagine there isn't a thread on this already, but just in case, here goes.

See this link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...p-small-offer/

Basically, you register your Amex and you get an extra MR point, Delta mile, SPG point, etc. up to certain limits at ShopSmall businesses through the end of the year.

Gotta register!!!!!

Works for biz and personal cards.

Definitely worth registering just to see what you hit accidentally, but there should be some good plays out there too.

Points Scrounger Oct 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks - two cards successfully enrolled!

krazykanuck Oct 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Now the hard decisions... When going out to lunch at work, since basically all of our usual spots are listed on the shop small map, 3x on dining with CSR, or 2x SPG... #firstworldproblems

mymilesandpoints Oct 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 27355088)
Now the hard decisions... When going out to lunch at work, since basically all of our usual spots are listed on the shop small map, 3x on dining with CSR, or 2x SPG... #firstworldproblems

Not that I'm suggesting transfer from Chase UR point to Marriott point is ever worth it, but if you get 2 SPG points at your lunch spot, which is convertible to 6 Marriott points, then that's a much better Marriott outcome than just using your Chase UR 3x dining bonus - since Chase UR only transfer 1 to 1 with Marriott.

Again, not saying anyone should, but if anyone needs mad Marriott points (perhaps for the miles + hotel stay promo), 2x SPG might be better than 3x Chase UR.

TravelinSperry Oct 17, 2016 3:10 am

I saw the offer when I logged into my Amex account and enrolled. Not sure if/when I'll show up at these small businesses, but free to enroll so I'll take what I get. No way I'm sifting through that ridiculous website to find small merchants though. https://shopsmallnow.americanexpress.com Also looks like US only merchants.

Just going to get accidental usage from me.

eajusa Oct 17, 2016 12:46 pm

I registered my five cards,but have to be careful. For example since there is no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points, I wouldn't use PRG or HH Surpass at a small business restaurant, grocery, or gas station, but my SPG and Delta cards would get bonus points/miles at such establishments.

mia Oct 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa (Post 27357895)
...no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points,.

That is not the way I read the rule:

You will not earn 2X rewards (i) on any bonus you may already receive with your Card, including any additional points/miles/cash back that you may already receive when you spend on certain types of purchases or at certain merchants or (ii) on any other bonus/rewards you may earn with a different promotion or offer from American Express.
I think this means that the Shop Small promotion will add one extra point per dollar, but it will not "double" the total amount earn by the card's category bonus feature.

eajusa Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 27357916)

I think this means that the Shop Small promotion will add one extra point per dollar, but it will not "double" the total amount earn by the card's category bonus feature.

I hope you're right. That will make deciding which card to use much easier.

Points Scrounger Oct 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa (Post 27357895)
I registered my five cards,but have to be careful. For example since there is no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points, I wouldn't use PRG or HH Surpassat a small business restaurant, grocery, or gas station, but my SPG and Delta cards would get bonus points/miles at such establishments.

Is it only DL platinum that has bonus categories like that?

josephstern Oct 17, 2016 4:50 pm

The only DL Platinum bonus category is Delta.

eajusa Oct 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 27358967)
The only DL Platinum bonus category is Delta.

Yes. Delta Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards offer only one mile per $ except on Delta tix.

Points Scrounger Oct 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa (Post 27359630)
Yes. Delta Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards offer only one mile per $ except on Delta tix.

Then what did you mean by "My SPG and Delta cards would get bonus miles at such establishments"?

pallhedge Oct 18, 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 27357916)

I read it exactly as you do.

levilevi Oct 18, 2016 7:37 am

This is really confusing - i generally trust mia on all things, so will lean that way - to clarify: i.e. PRG - going to a shop small elligible coded grocey store, I would be getting 3x MR (2x category bonus and 1x on the actual spend)? and the terms are basically saying its not going to be 4x (2 x 2)?

mia Oct 18, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by levilevi (Post 27361255)
... clarify: i.e. PRG - going to a shop small elligible coded grocey store, I would be getting 3x MR (2x category bonus and 1x on the actual spend)? and the terms are basically saying its not going to be 4x (2 x 2)?

Correct. I read the (poorly worded) terms to mean:

• 1 base point for spending a dollar
  • 1 bonus point for grocery
  • 1 bonus point for Shop Small

...rather than "doubling" the full amount otherwise earned.