Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Shop Small: Extra Point or Percent on most USA Amex Cards at Small Biz to 12.31.2016

Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Only the primary Card Member on the account can enroll. You will not earn 2X rewards on any bonus you already enjoy with your Card, such as when you spend on certain types of purchases or at certain merchants. Rewards Caps apply.

Excluded cards: Prepaid and Corporate Cards, American Express Cards issued by other financial institutions, The Plum Card, Clear from American Express, Blue Cash InStore, Blue Cash Rebate Card, Blue for Students, American Express Platinum Cash Rebate Card, Optima, and One from American Express are not eligible.

Offer Terms and Conditions
Shop Small Offer
You must enroll your eligible American Express Card at amex.co/shopsmalloffer to start earning 2X Rewards on purchases at qualifying small businesses through 12/31/16. If you have more than one eligible Card, you must separately enroll each Card. The following explains how eligible enrolled Cards earn 2X Rewards during the offer period:

Blue Cash Rewards Offer: Earn an additional 1% cash back per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Blue Cash Everyday Card or Blue Cash Preferred Card at qualifying small businesses. You will receive cash back only in the form of Blue Cash Reward Dollars which can be redeemed for statement credits.

Blue Sky Points Offer: Earn one additional Blue Sky point per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Blue Sky from American Express or Blue Sky Preferred from American Express at qualifying small businesses.

Delta Miles Offer: Earn one additional mile per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express, Delta SkyMiles Options, Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card or Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card at qualifying small businesses.

HHonors Points Offer: Earn three additional Hilton HHonors Bonus Points per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Hilton HHonors Card from American Express or Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express at qualifying small businesses.

Lowe's Business Rewards Points Offer: Earn one additional Lowe's Business Rewards point per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Lowe's Business Rewards Card from American Express at qualifying small businesses.

Membership Rewards Points Offer: Earn one additional Membership Rewards Point per dollar of purchases using one of the following enrolled Cards at qualifying small businesses: Centurion Card from American Express , The Platinum Card from American Express, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Traditional Gold Card from American Express, Senior Gold Card from American Express, Gold Card from American Express, American Express Green Card, American Express Traditional Green Card, Senior Member Card from American Express, Zync from American Express, Blue from American Express, Amex EveryDay Card, Amex EveryDay Preferred Card, The American Express Gold Card for Ameriprise Financial, The Platinum Card from American Express for Ameriprise Financial, Platinum Card from American Express for Charles Schwab, Fidelity American Express Green, Fidelity American Express Gold, Fidelity American Express Platinum, Centurion Card from American Express for Goldman Sachs Clients , The Platinum Card from American Express for Goldman Sachs, The Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express, Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz, Morgan Stanley Credit Card from American Express, Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley, Business Centurion Card from American Express, Business Platinum Card, The Business Gold Rewards Card, Business Green Rewards Card, Business Management Account, The Business Membership Rewards Card from American Express, Blue for Business Credit Card or Business Platinum Credit Card. Enrollment in the offer and the Membership Rewards Program is required. For Amex EveryDay Card products, when we calculate the extra points available as a bonus to Amex EveryDay Card Members, points awarded under this offer will not be included. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP EARN (297-3276) for more information. The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more, go to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo.

Plenti Point Offer: Earn one additional Plenti Point per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Plenti Credit Card from Amex at qualifying small businesses.

SimplyCash Cash Back Offer: Earn an additional 1% cash back per dollar of purchases using an enrolled SimplyCash Business Credit Card or SimplyCash Plus Business Credit Card at qualifying small businesses. You will receive cash back in the form of a statement credit.

Schwab Cash Back Offer: Earn an additional 1.5% cash back per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Charles Schwab Investor Credit Card from American Express at qualifying small businesses. Cash back will be automatically deposited into your eligible Schwab brokerage account.

Starpoints Offer: Earn one additional Starpoint per dollar of purchases using an enrolled Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card at qualifying small businesses.

You will not earn 2X rewards (i) on any bonus you may already receive with your Card, including any additional points/miles/cash back that you may already receive when you spend on certain types of purchases or at certain merchants or (ii) on any other bonus/rewards you may earn with a different promotion or offer from American Express. This offer applies to the first $250,000 in purchases for each eligible Card Account issued to a business and the first $100,000 in purchases for each eligible Card Account issued for personal use, starting from the time you complete enrollment through 12/31/16.

Qualifying Small Business
Qualifying small merchant locations appear on the Shop Small Map (including the searchable directory), available at shopsmallnow.americanexpress.com. Please note that the merchants listed on the Shop Small Map may change. In addition, business location and other information provided on the Shop Small Map may contain inaccuracies or errors as a result of information provided by third parties. Purchases with political campaigns or political action committees as well as purchases at gas or service stations do not qualify, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small Map.

Purchases
Purchases may fall outside of the offer period in some cases (and therefore not qualify for the offer), such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the purchase. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped) Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible to enroll in this offer, but you earn 2X Rewards for qualifying purchases made by any Additional Card Members on your account. The following do NOT count as purchases and will not qualify for this offer: fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents. A purchase may not qualify for this offer if it is not made directly with the merchant, if made through a third party payment account or using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

Fulfillment
To earn rewards with this offer, your Card Account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time of fulfillment. What you earn with this offer: (i) is in addition to any other rewards you may get from using your Card Account; (ii) will be posted to your account within 10-12 weeks after the end of the offer period; and (iii) may be reversed if a qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke this offer at any time for any reason in its sole discretion.

Ineligible American Express Cards
The following American Express Cards are not eligible for this 2X Rewards Offer: Prepaid Cards, Corporate Cards, Cards issued by other financial institutions, Blue Cash, Blue Cash InStore, Blue for Students, Cash Rebate Card, American Express Platinum Cash Rebate Card, Clear from American Express, One from American Express, Optima products, Blue Cash for Business, Business Cash Rebate Card, Business Gold Card, Business Green Card, Business Purchase Account, Executive Business Card, Platinum Business FreedomPass Credit Card, Platinum Business Premium Cash Rebate Card, The Plum Card.
Print Wikipost

Shop Small: Extra Point or Percent on most USA Amex Cards at Small Biz to 12.31.2016

Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Can't imagine there isn't a thread on this already, but just in case, here goes.

See this link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...p-small-offer/

Basically, you register your Amex and you get an extra MR point, Delta mile, SPG point, etc. up to certain limits at ShopSmall businesses through the end of the year.

Gotta register!!!!!

Works for biz and personal cards.

Definitely worth registering just to see what you hit accidentally, but there should be some good plays out there too.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks - two cards successfully enrolled!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Now the hard decisions... When going out to lunch at work, since basically all of our usual spots are listed on the shop small map, 3x on dining with CSR, or 2x SPG... #firstworldproblems
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Now the hard decisions... When going out to lunch at work, since basically all of our usual spots are listed on the shop small map, 3x on dining with CSR, or 2x SPG... #firstworldproblems
Not that I'm suggesting transfer from Chase UR point to Marriott point is ever worth it, but if you get 2 SPG points at your lunch spot, which is convertible to 6 Marriott points, then that's a much better Marriott outcome than just using your Chase UR 3x dining bonus - since Chase UR only transfer 1 to 1 with Marriott.

Again, not saying anyone should, but if anyone needs mad Marriott points (perhaps for the miles + hotel stay promo), 2x SPG might be better than 3x Chase UR.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I saw the offer when I logged into my Amex account and enrolled. Not sure if/when I'll show up at these small businesses, but free to enroll so I'll take what I get. No way I'm sifting through that ridiculous website to find small merchants though. https://shopsmallnow.americanexpress.com Also looks like US only merchants.

Just going to get accidental usage from me.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I registered my five cards,but have to be careful. For example since there is no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points, I wouldn't use PRG or HH Surpass at a small business restaurant, grocery, or gas station, but my SPG and Delta cards would get bonus points/miles at such establishments.

Last edited by eajusa; Oct 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
...no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points,.
That is not the way I read the rule:

You will not earn 2X rewards (i) on any bonus you may already receive with your Card, including any additional points/miles/cash back that you may already receive when you spend on certain types of purchases or at certain merchants or (ii) on any other bonus/rewards you may earn with a different promotion or offer from American Express.
I think this means that the Shop Small promotion will add one extra point per dollar, but it will not "double" the total amount earn by the card's category bonus feature.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by mia

I think this means that the Shop Small promotion will add one extra point per dollar, but it will not "double" the total amount earn by the card's category bonus feature.
I hope you're right. That will make deciding which card to use much easier.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I registered my five cards,but have to be careful. For example since there is no bonus points in categories that already receive bonus points, I wouldn't use PRG or HH Surpassat a small business restaurant, grocery, or gas station, but my SPG and Delta cards would get bonus points/miles at such establishments.
Is it only DL platinum that has bonus categories like that?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:50 pm

The only DL Platinum bonus category is Delta.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
The only DL Platinum bonus category is Delta.
Yes. Delta Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards offer only one mile per $ except on Delta tix.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Delta Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards offer only one mile per $ except on Delta tix.
Then what did you mean by "My SPG and Delta cards would get bonus miles at such establishments"?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by mia

I read it exactly as you do.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:37 am

This is really confusing - i generally trust mia on all things, so will lean that way - to clarify: i.e. PRG - going to a shop small elligible coded grocey store, I would be getting 3x MR (2x category bonus and 1x on the actual spend)? and the terms are basically saying its not going to be 4x (2 x 2)?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:45 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by levilevi
... clarify: i.e. PRG - going to a shop small elligible coded grocey store, I would be getting 3x MR (2x category bonus and 1x on the actual spend)? and the terms are basically saying its not going to be 4x (2 x 2)?
Correct. I read the (poorly worded) terms to mean:

• 1 base point for spending a dollar
  • 1 bonus point for grocery
  • 1 bonus point for Shop Small

...rather than "doubling" the full amount otherwise earned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.