Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: New Amex premium card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by skimple
You may be surprised to learn that some people don't measure their self-worth by what type of gadget they carry in their pocket - even affluent people.
But a lot of people do!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by skimple
Someone's been drinking their Apple Kool-Aid today.

You may be surprised to learn that some people don't measure their self-worth by what type of gadget they carry in their pocket - even affluent people.
You are 100% correct. I carry the Amex Platinum, Citi Prestige and Chase Reserve as well as about 15 other live cards right now. I have a very old style FLIP PHONE and pay $35 per month. That's it, no other electronic gadgets at all.
The key word in your statement is "some".
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Coldmode
But a lot of people do!
A lot of people also don't want their phone model or upgrade cycle dictated by a credit card company. It's not like the phone in the proposal is free.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:59 am

The amount of discussion about this "free smartphone" issue is kind of funny given how insanely unrealistic it is that Amex is going to start sending out hundreds of thousands of free iPhones to card members every year.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:23 am

I raised the issue so I'll comment. My point is Amex must do something big and unique like this to draw the attention of the millennials enraptured by Chase Sapphire. Amex's Membership Rewards is nowhere near as robust as Chase's Ultimate Rewards.

The overwhelming majority of well-off millennials are daily and heavy users of flagship smartphones. I have noticed that those complaining about my proposal, have not put forth any alternatives.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Back to topic please
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76
Back to topic please
You must not have read two sentences into my post. I did steer this back to topic.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
The overwhelming majority of well-off millennials are daily and heavy users of flagship smartphones. I have noticed that those complaining about my proposal, have not put forth any alternatives.
Based on the response to the CSR, it's pretty obvious that what millennials want is 100k points or more. Can't get much better swag than that.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:27 am

Chase wasn't the first to offer 100k points. Citi (AA Exec) and Amex (Plat) have done the same; where were those Businessweek cover stories?

I will concede, however, Chase's 100k offer is far more lucrative, simply because of the strength of Chase UR.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase wasn't the first to offer 100k points.
Indeed, American Express has offered 250,000 points in 2016.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Indeed, American Express has offered 250,000 points in 2016.
For certain, though I don't think the same caliber of people are getting approved for Amex Platinum that Chase is approving for CSR.

I think the issue is that Amex still wants to be exclusive, where Chase is on the corner asking every Joe if they want some. Will a new Amex card change that? I wouldn't expect it to. All the more reason that I think Amex will make changes to the existing Platinum, not introduce a new card. Given the churning going on, I know that most hope that I'm wrong.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Coldmode
But a lot of people do!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Personally, I'm leaning towards them tweaking Platinum instead of coming out with a brand new card. For instance, they could do the following:

• Platinum: PRG bonus categories + $300 travel credit + lounge access + free primary CDW.
  • PRG: 3x dining/travel. Lower AF to $95/yr and eliminate the travel credit entirely.
  • Eliminate Green/Gold for new cardholders.
  • Combine EveryDay/EDP into one no-AF card (1.5x for all purchases or maybe 5x in rotating categories?)
  • Change "once per lifetime" rule to something closer to Citi's or Chase's terms.

This way, PRG more closely competes with the CSP, while the Platinum competes more with the CSR/Prestige/etc. AmEx EveryDay also ends up more akin to Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited. Of course, a new card would be better for the signup bonus, especially if AmEx doesn't change the "once per lifetime" rule.

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I do not want a metal card. I like having contactless Amexes.
Honestly, I'm not sure it matters much. AmEx contactless cards are still opt-in (vs. opt-out in many other countries), so they could just send a plastic card if you wanted contactless. I also don't see the opt-in bit changing for a while to come.

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
And if you're in a situation where the card needs to be inserted into a machine, you'll be far less likely to experience the card getting jammed or stuck.
I haven't had problems with metal cards getting stuck in such machines but I do get the concern.

Add the card to Apple Pay.
I personally prefer contactless to be on the card for smaller purchases mainly because cashier training has been, let's say, less than great in the US. It's less awkward overall if they just see a card in your hand and activate the terminal (thinking you're going to swipe/insert) vs. trying to explain that you want to pay with a phone.

To be fair though, I've been putting as much as possible on the CSR while trying to make minimum spend and training definitely seems to have gotten better in the past few months.

Last edited by tmiw; Sep 29, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA
The main thing that seems weird about introducing a new premium competitor to the Reserve is that one imagines the annual fee would have to be in the same neighborhood as the Reserve--and therefore the Platinum--in order to justify providing benefits that are comparable to or better to the Reserve. And if the benefits are comparable to or better than the Reserve's, that essentially makes them better than the Platinum's (other than Centurion lounge access)--and then what's the point of the Platinum anymore?

I suppose they could do something like leave Centurion lounge access off of this new card, especially since the lounges are already pretty packed, but that would be a somewhat frustrating move because then there would no longer be a clear "best" Amex travel card, and I can't imagine a lot of people are going to spend successive years paying multiple $450 simultaneous AFs to Amex.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
As a Platinum card holder. few months ago, I received a long survey (took more than 15 minutes to complete) from Amex for a premium card. My initial impressions from the survey were that it was very specific and Amex wanting to know if I was willing to pay separately for all the perks.

So, for instance, they could give us a card for free, or charge a massive AF and then give all of it in rebate like the Australian Amex Explorer, but with 1.5x rewards, some category rewards and traditional Amex perks. They could create three or four baskets that we could add for say $75 each.

Again, just as an example, you could have basket 1 that gave you Priority Pass and Centurion lounge access, basket 2 that offered 12 GoGo passes and unlimited Primary car rental; basket 3 with FHR and status with various hotels and car rental companies, and basket 4 with travel insurance that is better than Prestige.

At first I thought Amex was thinking about making changes to Platinum. After the introduction of Chase Reserve and also the fact that there are now nine (Platinum, Prestige, Chase Reserve, Ritz Carlton, City Crystal, Delta Reserve, United Club, Citi AA Exec, Amex Centurion) premium cards with overlapping perks and benefits, many may not want many of the benefits, and I think it might be a new Premium card that offers flexible perks as well as rewards category (similar to Amex Business Gold).

For someone like me, I would not care for any of the four baskets but would still like a premium card that offers better Membership Rewards earnings card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.