Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold or BBP to save MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Cool Gold or BBP to save MR?

I'm having terrible luck on getting a second year retention offer on Amex Plat so I will likely close it. I want to preserve my MR and am wondering if I should do the Amex Gold with the elevated offer of 90k ($4000 in 6 months) or the BBP which right now is showing 75k ($15k spend in 12 months).

The Amex Plat is the only Amex I have. I am 3/24. I'll be eligible for the CSP/CSR SUB again in August or September so I can potentially get lounge access again which is the only thing I'll really miss from the Plat. I am not a big spender (put less than $3k/month on credit cards) so I can't do anything concurrently.

If you had to choose one, which one and why? Or even better, which one should I choose?

ETA: I have a FHR booking from my $200 hotel credit in October and I know I need an Amex card. I know Gold would work, but unsure on BBP.

Last edited by MrsCodoma; Jul 7, 2023 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:52 pm

I would do Gold due to elevated offer ONLY if you eat out frequently or buy groceries (4x). Otherwise, get BBP since it's no AF.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinkoh
I would do Gold due to elevated offer ONLY if you eat out frequently or buy groceries (4x). Otherwise, get BBP since it's no AF.
Thanks. I would say that restaurants and groceries are about a third of my cc spending is on looking over my budget.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Also found this offer, but not sure how it compares to the 90k.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by MrsCodoma
… to preserve my MR … wondering if I should do the Amex Gold with the elevated offer of 90k ($4000 in 6 months) or the BBP which right now is showing 75k ($15k spend in 12 months). …
BBP (for you right now) is a no brainer, that's a comparatively massive SUB with sufficiently long timeframe to meet the minimum spend. AmEx Gold often has similar SUB offers and NLL offers (for Gold biz allowing for multiple identical accounts each with a SUB). BBP on the other hand usually has no or a rather pathetic (10K-15K) SUB and we’ve not seen any reports of NLL offers for BBP. Additionally BBP is frequently mentioned as a strongly viable way to keep MR alive, considering no AF possibly “forever”, even with the minimal SUB. If you’re lucky enough to have been targeted, get it while the getting is good. The Gold (offer) will (probably) still be there for you.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
BBP (for you right now) is a no brainer, that's a comparatively massive SUB with sufficiently long timeframe to meet the minimum spend. AmEx Gold often has similar SUB offers and NLL offers (for Gold biz allowing for multiple identical accounts each with a SUB). BBP on the other hand usually has no or a rather pathetic (10K-15K) SUB and we’ve not seen any reports of NLL offers for BBP. Additionally BBP is frequently mentioned as a strongly viable way to keep MR alive, considering no AF possibly “forever”, even with the minimal SUB. If you’re lucky enough to have been targeted, get it while the getting is good. The Gold (offer) will (probably) still be there for you.
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know the SUB was rare for BBP. Found it on doctor of credit.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:16 am
Original Poster

So I went ahead and tried to apply but it requires me to log in to get the 75K BBP offer. Once I log in it says it's no longer available. Boo. Now I'm stuck again.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....requires me to log in to get the 75K BBP offer. Once I log in it says it's no longer available. ....
This means that you were not targeted for the offer. This is one of the perils of "finding" offers online.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This means that you were not targeted for the offer. This is one of the perils of "finding" offers online.
Yep. I got too excited because I saw the offer on the link I clicked, but didn't realize I needed to login. I was having decision fatigue last night so I wasn't thinking it through. Now I'm stuck again with which card to choose. Sigh.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Now I'm stuck again with which card to choose. Sigh.
Another card you could consider is the Everyday Amex. I have one in my sock drawer in case I decide to close my Plat.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...amex-everyday/
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:40 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Yep. I got too excited because I saw the offer on the link I clicked, but didn't realize I needed to login. I was having decision fatigue last night so I wasn't thinking it through. Now I'm stuck again with which card to choose. Sigh.
I think the Gold for 90k is also a very good offer. Back-up is always the Everyday.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Another card you could consider is the Everyday Amex. I have one in my sock drawer in case I decide to close my Plat.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...amex-everyday/
oh boy another to add to the mix 😂 I have to stick to BBP or gold for my sanity.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… requires me to log in to get the 75K BBP offer. Once I log in it says it's no longer available. …
Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Another card you could consider is the Everyday Amex. …
Just in case you (MrsCodoma) are a (points/miles/credit card SUB) nugget*:
(Doctor of Credit) … Some people are being offered a sign up bonus of 75,000 points after $15,000 in spend on the American Express Blue Business Plus card. …
That’s DoC’s way of writing it’s a “targeted” offer, made by email or snail mail or upon logging into your account, either as a pop-up or in the list of AmEx Offers to one specific individual or business, occasionally transferrable to another person or biz. As MIA wrote, if you haven’t been targeted, upon application you’ll see some version of (paraphrasing) “get lost”.

Yes, it is frustrating and annoying when one is not targeted for a lucrative desirable offer. Targeting as an incentive may be more directed at those with less use of AmEx cards, rather than those who have lots of AmEx cards, AmEx probably thinks they don’t need to offer additional incentives. Although they recent spate of targeted NLL biz plat and gold offers goes against that theory. Some of us take some consolation in the knowledge that we’ve already ripped AmEx off for received from AmEx many SUBs and points.

Everyday is an excellent option but it will count toward (Chase’s) 5/24. Some prefer the BBP for that reason. Like most of this game, it’s a highly individual decision, no one correct answer for everyone.
oh boy another to add to the mix 😂 I have to stick to BBP or gold for my sanity.
Yup, that’s the ongoing struggle in this game, points and miles and SUBs and applications and recon calls VERSUS sanity. Sometimes it seems like the 2 are mutually exclusive .

(*”Nugget”, Naval Aviation slang for newbie or FNG, F..ing New Guy, a lump of raw precious metal. “A Nugget was defined as a brand-new Naval Aviator who’d just received his wings of gold and was now enrolled in advanced flight training.” “A Nugget is a first-tour Naval Aviator or Flight Officer, especially applicable during their first deployment.”)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:44 am Reason: typo correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.