FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA]. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1749111-once-lifetime-bonus-policy-now-applies-both-personal-business-cards-usa.html)

JustinTI Apr 17, 2016 1:19 am

I tried searching, but didn't find anything...Will AMEX approve you if you are not eligible for the bonus?

I ask because there are some cards that I know I have had in the past, but I asked over chat for a list of my past cards and did not have them in the list. I'm not the most confident that the asking for a list over chat actually signifies anything meaningful, but it's the best I've got.

Specifically, I'm considering applying for the 100k Hilton Surpoass offer, and I don't want the card without the bonus.

happyvoid Apr 17, 2016 1:26 am

They will still approve your card. But after getting approved you will get denied for the bonus later on.

Rasar Apr 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Can I get AMEX Sky Miles bonus more than once?

I got my Sky Miles AMEX card 5 years ago, met its min spend and got the bonus miles 4 years ago but still have the card. Can I reapply for another Sky Miles card and get the bonus miles again or do I have to close the card and wait a certain amount of time before I qualify for the bonus again? In general, when they say you have to wait (for instance 24 months) to get the reward for the same card, does it mean 24 month from the last time you received the bonus, or 24 months from the time you canceled the card that had gotten the same bonus?

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

mia Apr 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by Rasar (Post 26502893)
... Can I reapply for another Sky Miles card and get the bonus miles again or do I have to close the card and wait a certain amount of time before I qualify for the bonus again?

You need to read the terms of the offer. Most American Express card offers include this sentence:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

This means you cannot receive a new card bonus if you have ever had the identical card. However, as a practical matter their live database appears to go back about 7 years. If you closed the previous account in 2008 or earlier it is probably safe to apply again.

Read the Wikipost at the top of this thread for a complete discussion of the rule. (If you cannot see the Wikipost it is most often because you are using Flyertalk's Mobile View. Wikiposts are only displayed in the full Desktop View.)

You can apply for a different Skymiles card. For example, if you closed a personal Gold card five years ago, you could apply for a Business Gold or Platinum or Reserve now.

HawaiiO Apr 23, 2016 5:48 am

Amex bonus pts are a one-time thing?

I had some bonus pts when i signed up for amex gold in usa.

If i cancel the card and wait for a year, will i still be eligible for other bonus signup offers?

Thank u!

Los_Pepes Apr 23, 2016 6:43 am

The short answer is they are once in a lifetime bonuses.

However, last year I churned both the Amex Biz Gold and Amex Bz Platinum and received both bonuses. In the past 7 days whenever I log into americanexpress.com I am actively solicited to apply for both and receive a 75,000 bonus for gold and 100,000 for platinum.

mia Apr 23, 2016 9:01 am

Moderator action

Originally Posted by HawaiiO (Post 26524211)
If i cancel the card and wait for a year, will i still be eligible for other bonus signup offers?

I have merged your question into the established thread on this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of thread to understand the the nuances. (Wikiposts are not displayed in Flyertalk's Mobile View, you must use the full Desktop View.)

When you apply for an American Express card you must read and save a copy of the terms of the offer. Most public offers include this sentence:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

This means that if you have ever had the same card you are not eligible for a new account bonus. As a practical matter American Express looks back "about" seven years. If you closed an account in 2008 or earlier it should be safe to reapply in 2016.

As Los_Pepes mentioned, many people receive individual targeted offers by mail or email from American Express. If that offer does include this sentence, or another restriction, there is none.

HawaiiO Apr 23, 2016 11:15 am

Thank u for the replies!

TOMFORD Apr 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Any reports of if targeted offers override the one bonus per lifetime rule? I got a targeted offer for the Business Gold card ($10k spend in 3m for 75k points). Nothing in the terms says anything about no bonus for previously having had this card.

Happy Apr 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD (Post 26525775)
Any reports of if targeted offers override the one bonus per lifetime rule? I got a targeted offer for the Business Gold card ($10k spend in 3m for 75k points). Nothing in the terms says anything about no bonus for previously having had this card.

If you do not see the restrictive language on the targeted offer you are good to go.

All targeted offers have unique, one-time used code that when you go thru that it would pre-fill your personal data on the app page which has less questions then non-targeted app page. It also warns you at the top of the screen if you are not so and so, dont use this app, call a toll free number instead.

I got a PRG 50K/$3K spend targeted offer 2 months ago and got the bonus again despite I had the same bonus in 2012.

TOMFORD Apr 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Got it, awesome. Thank you!!

nsx Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm

I have had the personal SPG Amex, canceled last year. I applied for the business SPG Amex and the bonus did not post on the first statement. Does Amex have a policy to deny the bonus due to having had a similar but not the same card? Or should I just be patient and wait for the next statement before calling them?

Edited to add: the other point is that my approval was delayed a couple days past the 3/30 offer expiration, so that may have caused an error in the automated bonus processing.

mia Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 26554551)
... Does Amex have a policy to deny the bonus due to having had a similar but not the same card?

No. You should be eligible for the bonus if you have not previously held the Business version. However, this type of bonus posts off-cycle. I would not wait for the next statement, ask on Tuesday.

headinclouds Apr 30, 2016 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26503441)
You need to read the terms of the offer. Most American Express card offers include this sentence:

This means you cannot receive a new card bonus if you have ever had the identical card. However, as a practical matter their live database appears to go back about 7 years. If you closed the previous account in 2008 or earlier it is ,safe to apply again.

Is this a new requirement? I had a personal SPG card until Aug 2014. Closed the account. Opened new personal SPG account in Nov 2015. I only applied because the T & C stated something like "Have not had this card within the past 12 months". I printed the T & C at the time of application. When I called today to ask about my bonus SPG points, I was denied due to having had this type of account before. I applied and met the spend requirement by 15-Feb-2016, which predates this thread. Do I have a valid case for earning the bonus before AMEX changed the T & C?

mia Apr 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds (Post 26557860)
..."Have not had this card within the past 12 months".

Those were the terms of the SPG Business card. The personal card has stated This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product....since 2014. Look carefully at what you printed to see if you can determine whether they are the terms for the business or personal version.