FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex fraud detection software (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1733192-amex-fraud-detection-software.html)

tmiw Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Speaking of fraud prevention, AmEx apparently declined my attempted GWR rail ticket purchase (via their website) a few months ago but eventually approved it after a couple of attempts. I didn't have to call to speak to anyone either, which was weird and possibly not a good thing. Later use of the same card at hotels in the UK had no issues, probably due to the chip being used.

KDS777 May 29, 2018 5:07 pm

AMEX fraud attempt today

Got an email from AMEX today. Called in and apparently a fraud attempt was made.

Someone ran $1 charge thru Copa Airlines, and then a $16K charge.

AMEX flagged it, as I have never charged anything with Copa Airlines, nor did it meet with my historical travel patterns.

I'll have a new platinum card in 48 hours........plastic of course.......us Canucks dont get the good stuff.

RichardNixon May 30, 2018 1:47 pm

I bought something online in a foreign currency a week ago and I was pleased to see that it triggered a system that texted me a code I had to input in order to complete the transaction. Extra secure, very nice!

tmiw May 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by RichardNixon (Post 29810298)
I bought something online in a foreign currency a week ago and I was pleased to see that it triggered a system that texted me a code I had to input in order to complete the transaction. Extra secure, very nice!

I haven't run into that yet but it sounds like AmEx is implementing 3D Secure a lot better than Chase. ^ (Not that I've had issues personally but there are a lot of reports on FT about Chase cards not working.)

Bretmd Jun 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Received a text, email, app push notification, and phone call within one minute of a fraudulent transaction. The transaction was declined. I quickly was able to talk to a rep who issued me a new card number within two minutes. Since it’s a plat, it will arrive within 48 hours.

This is my first exposure to Amex fraud prevention and I’m impressed. It was more difficult and long winded with BOA and Chase.

Diplomatico Jul 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 29877127)
Received a text, email, app push notification, and phone call within one minute of a fraudulent transaction. The transaction was declined. I quickly was able to talk to a rep who issued me a new card number within two minutes. Since it’s a plat, it will arrive within 48 hours.

This is my first exposure to Amex fraud prevention and I’m impressed. It was more difficult and long winded with BOA and Chase.

This happened to me this morning on my PRG. Someone tried to order $295 in merchandise from Dell Bed online and AMEX caught it. AMEX called and sent an email - as soon as I confirmed the transaction as fraudulent, they set me up with a replacement card that will arrive tomorrow via FEDEX overnight. ^ ^

Kagehitokiri Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

good to hear simultaneous email / call as well, interesting

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 2019 11:44 am

Very impressed, I think. I got an email this morning that an attempted gas purchase in Texas was declined and could it have been me? I'm nowhere near Texas (and had some chip and pin purchases yesterday nowhere near Texas, plus I always use an AmEx card for flights and rental cars), but I'm now wondering how someone could have gotten the number to clone a card. I haven't used it in a at least a month anywhere that there could be a skimmer and the card was last out of my sight several weeks ago in a hotel restaurant where I've eaten before that doesn't seem at all sketchy. I've only entered the card online in the last couple months when making chain hotel reservations and for one conference registration on what was supposedly a secure website from my desktop.

mia Nov 9, 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31719366)
.... attempted gas purchase ....wondering how someone could have gotten the number to clone a card

The card number could have been compromised months ago in a bulk breach. Pay-at-the-pump gasoline is a common way to test if a purchased number is usable.

fliesdelta Nov 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31719366)
and had some chip and pin purchases yesterday

Is your Amex card US-based? If so, how did you get a PIN on it for purchases?

mradey Nov 13, 2019 5:40 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 22661111)
I had a recent fraud attempt which the folks in the Fraud department caught very nicely, and denied. Doing my own followup, it became pretty clear that the cause of the fraud was the Target incident.

The main hassle with getting a real fraud alert is that they send you a card with a new number and you have to go through and change all your automatic pay accounts. The last time they helped with this by emailing me a list of those charges that looked to them to be regularly-timed ones.

That's not my experience with my Amex (Centurion). Cancelled cards still have payments going through for my automatic, regular, charges. For example, monthly Google Ad bills still get charged to one of my cancelled cards. Same with cards which have been replaced d/t date expiry. Admittedly, I've cleaned up my act recently and updated all my Billings now, this is a couple of years ago.

damon88 Nov 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mradey (Post 31731870)
That's not my experience with my Amex (Centurion). Cancelled cards still have payments going through for my automatic, regular, charges. For example, monthly Google Ad bills still get charged to one of my cancelled cards. Same with cards which have been replaced d/t date expiry. Admittedly, I've cleaned up my act recently and updated all my Billings now, this is a couple of years ago.

This is correct

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9a3ca1c8f.jpeg
From AMEX website