FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex fraud detection software (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1733192-amex-fraud-detection-software.html)

SanDiego1K Dec 28, 2015 10:20 am

My husband's Groupon account was hacked a few weeks back. The robber bought two Samsung phones for $500 each and had them shipped to an address in Stockton, CA. I noticed the charges when auditing the monthly statement. AMEX was awesome in immediately reversing the charges.

kxc262 Dec 28, 2015 1:10 pm

AMEX Plat - chip/signature card - was used at Victoria's Secret for $89. Called AMEX and they are investigating the charge. New card coming tomorrow next day air. They did not alert me, but as always, they provide some of the best customer service in resolving the matter.

mia Dec 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 (Post 25926520)
AMEX Plat - chip/pin card -

In which country is your card issued, and in which country did the fraud occur? Cards issued in the USA are Chip & Signature, card issued elsewhere may be Chip & PIN. Both are often still processed as swipe cards in the USA, which means the presence of the chip is irrelevant.

tmiw Dec 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 25926718)
In which country is your card issued, and in which country did the fraud occur? Cards issued in the USA are Chip & Signature, card issued elsewhere may be Chip & PIN. Both are often still processed as swipe cards in the USA, which means the presence of the chip is irrelevant.

I presumed that he was outside the US when I read that post, but some Americans (and banks/credit unions, unfortunately) do seem to use those terms interchangeably. Probably for the best I suppose.

kxc262 Dec 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 25926718)

Actually you are correct. The card is not chip/pin but rather chip/signature since it is issued in the USA. I'm guessing the card number got stolen somewhere.

tfred Dec 28, 2015 3:05 pm

thieves use a low level test of the card - KFC or self serve gas station -to see if the card has been cancelled. it is easy for them to "get away" if it has been blocked

unityofsaints Dec 28, 2015 9:31 pm

AMEX card numbers and expiration date are not random - any crook can determine those if they know the date the previous card for that account holder was cancelled due to faud so you could, in theory, keep finding out the new number every time the old one is cancelled. The trick is getting the first one cancelled.

There was an article on this online somewhere, a quick google should find it (on a restricted connection so I can't right now).

That being said, AMEX fraud department is amazing. The whole process was very painless and intuitive when someone tried to buy J tickets on my card ~3 years ago.

tmiw Dec 28, 2015 9:46 pm

My one experience with AmEx's fraud department was a while ago. Back then I had to HUCA in order to get someone who could see the pending fraudulent charge; the first CSR tried to claim it was a phishing text message/email that I had received despite me being able to see the transaction when logged into my account with a browser. That did not leave a good taste in my mouth at all, though it did get resolved after the second phone call.

Hopefully things have improved in that regard since then (and it sounds like it may have).

DeltaAddict Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

AmEx fraud purchase..

AmEx how do they know?? On Monday I was on DAL flight 275 DTW to NRT. I bought WiFi Gogo pass using my platinum card. Not even 5 hours after landing in Tokyo. I get a call from AmEx for 7 fraud online purchases. Has anyone been in the same situation after purchasing WiFi onboard an unsecured network on an airplane. I'm skeptical that my card # was stolen while purchasing the Gogo WiFi. AmEx voided all charges and reissued me a new card.

fliesdelta Dec 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict (Post 29207346)
AmEx how do they know?? On Monday I was on DAL flight 275 DTW to NRT. I bought WiFi Gogo pass using my platinum card. Not even 5 hours after landing in Tokyo. I get a call from AmEx for 7 fraud online purchases. Has anyone been in the same situation after purchasing WiFi on board an unsecured network on an airplane. I'm skeptical that my card # was stolen while purchasing the Gogo WiFi. AmEx voided all charges and reissued me a new card.

The Gogo WLAN on the planes is not secure, but the online transaction to purchase the access is encrypted, so I doubt your card number was compromised during that.

As for Amex fraud detection, in my limited experience with one of my cards, it works superbly well.

DeltaAddict Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 29207446)
The Gogo WLAN on the planes is not secure, but the online transaction to purchase the access is encrypted, so I doubt your card number was compromised during that.

As for Amex fraud detection, in my limited experience with one of my cards, it works superbly well.

thanks for the good info. The only other time I used my card was before I departed. I booked my hotel on the FHR website online at DTW. And again when I checked in at The Conrad Hotel in Tokyo. It has to be one of these transaction when my account was stolen. Never before had issue with AmEx until this week.

AAExpDFW Dec 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict (Post 29207481)

thanks for the good info. The only other time I used my card was before I departed. I booked my hotel on the FHR website online at DTW. And again when I checked in at The Conrad Hotel in Tokyo. It has to be one of these transaction when my account was stolen. Never before had issue with AmEx until this week.

An enterprising set of eyes watching you book your hotel or on the plane buying your Wi-Fi ... it’s happened before

DeltaAddict Dec 23, 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW (Post 29207542)

An enterprising set of eyes watching you book your hotel or on the plane buying your Wi-Fi ... it’s happened before

possibly but while booking my hotel I was sitting all alone in the corner at the DTW sky club and I was flying D1 with the privacy door closed

Kacee Dec 23, 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict (Post 29207481)
It has to be one of these transaction when my account was stolen. Never before had issue with AmEx until this week.

The theft could have happened weeks or months ago.

My Plat was compromised this week. Was contacted at 1 am by fraud detection when someone tried to run a $1200 charge through apple. I suspect it was a gas station purchase, as I otherwise use this card only for airline tix and FHR bookings. (And I only used the Plat for gas to redeem an AMEX offer for ExxonMobil . . . that turned out to be a really bad deal).

Taking AMEX forever to get me a replacement card.

conde Dec 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29208602)
The theft could have happened weeks or months ago.

My Plat was compromised this week. Was contacted at 1 am by fraud detection when someone tried to run a $1200 charge through apple. I suspect it was a gas station purchase, as I otherwise use this card only for airline tix and FHR bookings. (And I only used the Plat for gas to redeem an AMEX offer for ExxonMobil . . . that turned out to be a really bad deal).

Taking AMEX forever to get me a replacement card.

My American Express card was also compromised this week, with a fraudulent attempted purchase from Apple also. I don't believe American Express is to blame, as there have been some recent scary large data breaches such as with Equifax and Alteryx. I have reason to believe that my email address and phone number were also part of the data set compromised/stolen. So far, American Express has been good to deal with toward resolving my account with them. Beware of phishing emails that appear to be coming from Apple with titles such as "Learn more about your new Apple product". With that said, this thread is about American Express Fraud prevention. The recent data breaches will require even more sophisticated security, as current measures may not always be adequate.