Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Optima Platinum Card autoconverted to Everyday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Optima Platinum Card autoconverted to Everyday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:05 am

No annual fee on the everyday they switched me to. Been using it for groceries and any Amex offers I get on it. Will probably convert the points to Hilton down the road.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Safetravel3
...it seems that you have to pay an annual fee to get the rewards.
This is inaccurate. You can earn rewards with a free card, and the most expensive card does not earn higher rewards than a card with lower fees.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP
Thanks. You are all right. I have been doing my homework on the different available cards.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:45 pm

Ok, this is what I have decided to do with my Optima card: I will cancel it. I applied when I was still a student, and I think that it's time to move up a notch or two.

To choose a new Amex card, as I am temporarily based in Asia and the foreign transaction charge is an issue, I am probably limited to 3 options: Amex Platinum, PRG, and SPG cards.

The Amex Platinum would probably be great if I didn’t have airline and hotel elite statuses and if I were mostly based in the US. I really tried to justify the $450 annual fee and the $175 supplementary card fee for my spouse (it would be absurd to even consider giving supplementary Amex Platinum cards to kids anyway), but I probably won’t maximize the platinum benefits based on my current travel and expense pattern.

Amex PRG seems to be the right choice for me. $195 annual fee is more reasonable, and the first year is free. The supplementary card for my spouse is free. I like the 25,000 reward points, which is quite substantial. I would use the PRG card around the world while traveling for business and leisure and avoid the foreign transaction charge. I had about $20,000-30,000 annual expenses on the Optima card for business travels (my employer covers foreign transaction charge), but now I can put more personal expenses on the PRG. I can easily put an additional $20,000 a year on the PRG.

Finally, I am an SPG Platinum and Lifetime Gold member, so the SPG card benefits are somewhat redundant. Most importantly, if I change my job in the future and don't travel the same pattern, then the SPG card might be of limited use.

In summary, I am choosing the PRG and will try it for one year. Optima seems to be a low-end card anyway – student class.

Last edited by Safetravel3; Nov 25, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:15 pm

In summary, I am choosing the PRG and will try it for one year. Optima seems to be a low-end card anyway – student class.
The Optima is not a student card. What it is opposed to the other cards which are charge cards, is a credit card. Since there is no annual fee there is no reason to cancel it. Better for your credit history to keep it.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Charles4515
The Optima is not a student card. What it is opposed to the other cards which are charge cards, is a credit card. Since there is no annual fee there is no reason to cancel it. Better for your credit history to keep it.
Thanks. Yeah, I know that I better leave the old Optima account open, as I had it for over two decades, to maintain my FICO score. But it's kind of really really annoying. I am thinking.....
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:48 am

Thanks. Yeah, I know that I better leave the old Optima account open, as I had it for over two decades, to maintain my FICO score. But it's kind of really really annoying. I am thinking.....
Unless you have other cards open that are as old, I'd convert to the Everyday. Use it once every six months on anything. A 2.7% FTF is next to nothing on a $1.00 purchase.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Unless you have other cards open that are as old, I'd convert to the Everyday. Use it once every six months on anything. A 2.7% FTF is next to nothing on a $1.00 purchase.
I got PRG and SPG. With sufficient headroom/credit line, I am going to cancel the Optima card as soon as the rewards points are posted. Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:17 pm

I got PRG and SPG. With sufficient headroom/credit line, I am going to cancel the Optima card as soon as the rewards points are posted. Thanks!
Why? Leaving it open doesn't hurt you, is easy to manage since it's in the same Amex account, and helps your credit score quite a bit once it would have fell off in ten years.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Why? Leaving it open doesn't hurt you, is easy to manage since it's in the same Amex account, and helps your credit score quite a bit once it would have fell off in ten years.
Thanks. Yes, I will leave it open.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all,

Years ago I recall Amex charging a fee for membership rewards participation. I cancelled MR due to it. I was recently noticing the Amex Sync MR offers, some of which are not available as $'s off and was considering using my Amex Optima card to access. But I was wondering if Amex still charges a fee to participate in MR or if that fee has been done away with long ago. Anyone versed in this care to share?

Originally Posted by Centurion
I do not future plans. I know many people with the Platinum Optima card that looks very much like the Platinum card and have seen many arguments with the frustrated Delta Sky Club agents. It is a good Amex card with no annual fee. Long ago you had to have pay extra if you wanted it to be part of the MR program or have another Amex card that participated in MR.
I recall having to pay an fee to participate in MR via my Optima card so I turned off MR way back when (to avoid the fee). Has this changed nowadays? That is, can I use my Optima without fee and earn MR (I don't mean annual fee, I know that's $0). I mean fee for MR.

Also - re MR, can I redeem for hotels/air or is the Optima MR some sort of "light" program as another poster mentioned?

Last edited by mia; Nov 19, 2017 at 4:11 am Reason: Combine cross posted questions
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't believe there is a "fee" for MR account. The fees are tied to individual cards.

IIRC, there is an Everyday card that qualifies to earn MR points that does not have any type of fee.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Table on this page shows the cards for which there is a Membership Rewards fee. Most of these are discontinued products, but the fee could apply if you still hold one. In most cases you would be better to apply for a current product instead:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...v=footer-tandc
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I still have my Amex Optima card and no letter forcing conversion. Recently I noticed some nice Amex Offers on it (saving me $50-$100 on an upcoming MGM Resorts stay) so I'm going to use it for the first time in >15 years. Will be interesting to see if it's even accepted without me having to speak to an agent.

I never cancelled it because it was my first card (opened in the 80s) and I thought it helps with credit score. I see above that Amex doesn't report this any longer, so if I wanted I could cancel and not affect my credit score? (I don't want to cancel - just want to understand options).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I have an old Blue for Students from 2003 that consistently gets the juiciest offers (I also have BBP, new Green, and Aspire). I'm starting to think card age plays into the algorithm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.