FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex Centurion Lounge IAH [opened 24 June 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1696250-amex-centurion-lounge-iah-opened-24-june-2016-a.html)

kirkwoodj Jul 22, 2016 5:16 am

Here early today, delicious breakfast. Hot food came out at 6am. Pleased to see that there are now 2 local beers on tap, Karbach Hopadillo IPA and Southern Star Bombshell Blonde. Of course they're not available until later in the day.

krazykanuck Jul 22, 2016 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 26952121)
Here early today, delicious breakfast. Hot food came out at 6am.

So is there no food before 6? I was going to stop by yesterday at 5:30 when it opens but decided that wouldn't leave me much time to do anything with a 6:25 departure on Delta.

kirkwoodj Jul 22, 2016 10:57 am

The cold stuff was out, like fruit, yogurt. I arrived 5:45a.

lonelycrowd Jul 27, 2016 10:51 am

Stopped in while lounge-hopping at IAH yesterday. There was really no comparison between this and the Priority Pass and United Club locations - food and beverages were excellent, as was the service and general ambiance. The chicken in avocado cream was probably the best airport lounge dish I've ever had in North America. Definitely will return!

beckoa Jul 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 26953496)
The cold stuff was out, like fruit, yogurt. I arrived 5:45a.

That's what LAS does which is annoying.

SEA has its 'hot' mini quiches at 5 AM sharp (Yes I've been the first one in several times now - wish it opened earlier with the ANC redeye bank). But those things really don't count.

Glad to see AMEX expanding its profile ;)

krazykanuck Aug 21, 2016 6:19 am

Only a handful of people here this morning around 7-7:30, probably the emptiest I've ever seen a CL. Was told the bar doesn't open until 10:30 am on Sundays. I presume because the TABC says you can't have a bloody mary until after you're finished at church :rolleyes: I know it's not just Texas, but these ridiculous blue laws at least need an exemption for bars located in airports :D

kirkwoodj Aug 21, 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 26984628)
That's what LAS does which is annoying.

SEA has its 'hot' mini quiches at 5 AM sharp (Yes I've been the first one in several times now - wish it opened earlier with the ANC redeye bank). But those things really don't count.

Glad to see AMEX expanding its profile ;)

Good to know. See you in a few weeks!

billatq Aug 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Not too packed at 5PM. As a bonus, I watched a lounge dragon chew out a kid for trying to get a drink while underage. I was surprised he didn't get kicked out.

sapman986 Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 26952121)
Pleased to see that there are now 2 local beers on tap, Karbach Hopadillo IPA and Southern Star Bombshell Blonde. Of course they're not available until later in the day.

They also have Shiner Bock on tap, but for some reason, the handle is unlabelled. It has been this way for my last 3 visits.

TennisNoob Aug 23, 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by billatq (Post 27098577)
Not too packed at 5PM. As a bonus, I watched a lounge dragon chew out a kid for trying to get a drink while underage. I was surprised he didn't get kicked out.

First time I heard the lounge dragons ever doing anything like that. Usually they just run back to there desks and start playing on their phones.

billatq Aug 23, 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 27107226)
First time I heard the lounge dragons ever doing anything like that. Usually they just run back to there desks and start playing on their phones.

I'd overheard that he'd told him something about not being able to use the bar and I assume he was watching the kid on the camera when he went up to the bar anyway.

Duke787 Sep 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Here right now (~745pm CST). Definitely not crowded though in fairness all the long hauls except LHR, IST, TPE, and PEK have already left from the D gates though there are a number of SA flights from the E gates that are still here.

Small selection of food but the fried chicken is fantastic (a ton of actual chicken in there not just a bunch of fried coating). Bar menu is solid, with Rittenhouse Rye a particularly welcome option.

First time using a Centurion Lounge since getting the card and only the 2nd one I've been too (went to SFO last summer). Definitely better than any domestic UC I've been to (seems on par with the LHR UC).

kirkwoodj Oct 6, 2016 3:52 pm

Moderately busy, seats are available. Craft beers available in cans & bottles as well as draft. Had the pleasure of meeting joseeantionor in passing! New autumn food choices are delicious!

Duke787 Nov 6, 2016 10:54 pm

Back here today - more crowded than my last post. Food was not as good as that post either (went from fried chicken to sketchy chicken and nothing really appealing overall).

Nonetheless it's still a solid place and the bartender is great. It certainly makes IAH an appealing place to connect vs. ORD/IAD where no AMEX exists - though seriously what does it take to get one in IAD/ORD.

krazykanuck Nov 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Was here from 7-9 tonight. Really crowded around 7 but many people cleared out by 7:30. Dinner was decent. Chicken was really good and there was a potato/butternut puree that was a bit odd based on the look and menu card, but actually good. Soup looked sad.

Had a Centurion card holder at the bar next to me and one of the Cent beverages here is Los Dragones tequila, which retails for $200+ a bottle. The guy liked it so much, he wasn't from Texas, and asked the bartender what's the nearest place I can buy this?

Cross post from the "what's in your beer fridge" thread:

Currently stocked in the Centurion Lounge IAH beer fridge:

On tap, we have Southern Star Bombshell Blond (currently drinking this)

In can/bottle:

Buffalo Bayou More Cowbell (up next on my list)
St. Arnolds Christmas Ale
Shiner Bock
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Rahr and Son's

And for the crap we don't drink...

Macrobrew Swill (Bud Light, Miller Lite)
AB InBev Sellout Sympathy for the Lager
AB InBev Sellout Karbachtoberfest