FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX (Canada) Refer-A-Friend now have an "Annual Limit" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1683281-amex-canada-refer-friend-now-have-annual-limit.html)

zer0k1 Jun 9, 2015 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 24944527)
To play devil's advocate, wouldn't Amex want to encourage bloggers to drive business their way? Even with the millions of points they pay to busy bloggers in referrals, it must still work out to less than however much it costs to pay someone to sit at a kiosk in a mall or an airport and sign people up, or to take out ads in newspapers and magazines, no?

Or perhaps the Amex perks are good enough that bloggers will still find it beneficial to publicize current Amex promos

jerryhung Jun 9, 2015 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1 (Post 24944586)
Or perhaps the Amex perks are good enough that bloggers will still find it beneficial to publicize current Amex promos

^

AMEX could also easily "fix" it by matching the offers, thus removing incentives to use referral
Case in point, AMEX Gold WAS 15K public/20K referral (I think) and I got a few referrals back then

but now, it's 25K either way so most people may just go via GCR for $50 cashback. Only cards that should use referral links are AMEX Plat and Biz Gold, but these 2 are super niche cards with high spending $ requirement too

On top of that, people are doing "self-referral" from Gold themselves

jerryhung Jun 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I secure messaged AMEX to clarify the referral limit, this is their reply after 3-4 days from backoffice

I have just received a response from the concerned department. As per the information they have provided a referral bonus is limited to a maximum of 15 referrals per Card Member in a year.

So, it is not per Membership Reward account.
so if I read it right, it is PER AMEX Card, yes?
e.g. if I have Gold, and Plat, I can refer 15 max. on each card in a year, even if they're linked to the same AMEX MR account

drwilliams Jun 21, 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 24997972)
so if I read it right, it is PER AMEX Card, yes?
e.g. if I have Gold, and Plat, I can refer 15 max. on each card in a year, even if they're linked to the same AMEX MR account

I would say it is 15 in total. You are one cardmember, regardless of the number of cards.

a referral bonus is limited to a maximum of 15 referrals per Card Member in a year.

zer0k1 Jun 21, 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams (Post 25004250)
I would say it is 15 in total. You are one cardmember, regardless of the number of cards.

a referral bonus is limited to a maximum of 15 referrals per Card Member in a year.

I've asked before and was told it is per card

loun80 Jun 28, 2015 1:33 am

Has anyone been able to confirm whether the referral bonus limits is based on per card or per card member?

jerryhung Jun 28, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by loun80 (Post 25037451)
Has anyone been able to confirm whether the referral bonus limits is based on per card or per card member?

See the 3 replies above you :)

loun80 Jun 28, 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 25038836)
See the 3 replies above you :)

Yes. 1 reply says it's per card. 2 replies says it's per card member, as one card member would have multiple cards.

So, I wasn't sure which answer is correct.

jerryhung Jun 28, 2015 11:24 am

Originally Posted by loun80 (Post 25038931)
Yes. 1 reply says it's per card. 2 replies says it's per card member, as one card member would have multiple cards.

So, I wasn't sure which answer is correct.

I think per card = per card member, which makes the most sense, the tracking is done based on the AMEX card #

otherwise AMEX probably would've said "per member" if they meant "per person"

but I can't be 100% sure since I'm not AMEX

loun80 Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Based on what I am experiencing, it seems like the referral limit is based per person as I have recently referred an AMEX Gold and an AMEX Platinum application and approval and received no referral bonus.

zer0k1 Jun 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by loun80 (Post 25045137)
Based on what I am experiencing, it seems like the referral limit is based per person as I have recently referred an AMEX Gold and an AMEX Platinum application and approval and received no referral bonus.

You referred 32 people since January?

I assume you are saying that you attempted to refer using both an Amex Gold and Amex Platinum card, both of which have reached the maximum of 15 referrals per calendar year. And now, you attempted to refer 1 from each and did not received the referral points after waiting the full 10 weeks.

...Because otherwise, you may just have to give it some time :)

seankearns Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm

I can confirm the referral limit is not retroactive to Jan 1st. I've had successful referrals recently and had over 15 prior to the announcement.

Still don't know if it's per card or cardholder, but still assuming card.

loun80 Jun 29, 2015 7:48 pm

I have referred 15 people since January 1 with my AMEX Gold and received my referral bonuses. Now if I referral with my Gold, Platinum or SPG, I get no referral bonus. I hope I'm making sense.

Anyone have a different experience?

rankourabu Jun 30, 2015 7:35 am

How soon before the bloggers ruin this program entirely?

grandgourmand Jun 30, 2015 9:52 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 25048056)
How soon before the bloggers ruin this program entirely?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I agree with what your sentiment, but:

1) Amex is not as entrenched here as in the U.S., so they need this "distribution"
2) Losing the Costco relationship didn't do much to help Amex's Canadian presence (and FYI...they had much lower purchase volume growth than Visa/MC for the past three years alerady)
3) I suspect that of the people taking the referrals, many are not cancelling the card. Churning, based on what I've heard, represents less than 10% of card holders.

I'm glad this limit is around. I'll not get close to 15 referrals a year (can't see myself pushing cards on friends & acquaintances that much). So it doesn't penalize me while putting limits on those with more aggressive referral strategies. Like bloggers.