FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX (Canada) Refer-A-Friend now have an "Annual Limit" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1683281-amex-canada-refer-friend-now-have-annual-limit.html)

alc May 28, 2015 6:58 am

AMEX (Canada) Refer-A-Friend now have an "Annual Limit"

Not sure if it should be a separate thread or merge it in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2015-a.html thread, but there is a annual maximum of referral points/miles you can get. What I wonder is whether this is per product type, per card, or same product type or same card type for the year.

Here is a quick list:

AMEX MR - 225K MR
Aeroplan - 225K AP
AirMiles - 7.5K AM
SPG - 75K SPG (T&C state 75K while the main screen show 150K)

--- Added ---

Just realized the AMEX MR and Aeroplan maximum above applied to Platinum card, for Gold Card, it is less. Based on the math calculation, it is really 15 successful referral per calendar year, hence the SPG max above will be 150K, look like someone just did an error during copy and paste.

heraclitus May 28, 2015 8:08 am

Interesting - thanks for sharing that.

Cana2013 May 28, 2015 8:09 am

I couldn't find this info on Amex website. Do you have a link?

alc May 28, 2015 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013 (Post 24881497)
I couldn't find this info on Amex website. Do you have a link?

It is just where the refer-a-friend page after you click on the card for Step 1.

Twickenham May 28, 2015 10:13 am

It's written in the footnotes.

I for one don't mind this type of limit, if it means the continuation of the program. Better this than have it killed totally.

1011TriStar May 28, 2015 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham (Post 24882107)
It's written in the footnotes.

I for one don't mind this type of limit, if it means the continuation of the program. Better this than have it killed totally.

+1.

jerryhung May 28, 2015 10:52 am

150K for Gold/Aeroplan Gold (vs. 225K) I think, but yes, it's 15 referrals

Not a drastic enhancement vs. AMEX USA one-time life bonus policy
but makes one wonder if AMEX Canada will do it in future to limit welcome bonuses

I'm glad it's implemented and probably only affect 1% of people (bloggers?)

alc May 28, 2015 11:39 am

what I also wonder if this is a way for them to crack down those do not follow "Step 1" to select the card that they currently got. As a lot of have stated that they select the Plat Card for Step 1 and get 15K MR or AP referral bonus, even if they have the Gold Card.

heraclitus May 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 24882605)
what I also wonder if this is a way for them to crack down those do not follow "Step 1" to select the card that they currently got. As a lot of have stated that they select the Plat Card for Step 1 and get 15K MR or AP referral bonus, even if they have the Gold Card.

If that is in fact what they wanted to address, they could have done it in a much more direct manner than this.

alc May 29, 2015 7:50 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 24881183)
SPG - 75K SPG (T&C state 75K while the main screen show 150K)

so, they updated the T&C to state 150K now.

We all just need to know if the annual limit for this year will count from yesterday (or whatever it was started) or since Jan. Like many had said, it doesn't affect most of us, but do would like to know just in case AeroplanPlus Gold card decided to do a FYF again. I will have a hold line up of friends and relatives will get the referral from me :)

jerryhung May 29, 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 24886712)
so, they updated the T&C to state 150K now.

We all just need to know if the annual limit for this year will count from yesterday (or whatever it was started) or since Jan. Like many had said, it doesn't affect most of us, but do would like to know just in case AeroplanPlus Gold card decided to do a FYF again. I will have a hold line up of friends and relatives will get the referral from me :)

I doubt Aeroplan FYF will come back (or SPG FYF+15K)

My guess that it was a counter-off for TD introducing Aeroplan, and now TD/CIBC/AMEX all have Aeroplan and seem to be stable, no need to stir up the market

But yeah, I welcome any new AMEX FYF "better-via-Referral" offer :)
Even AMEX Gold isn't "referral" friendly now @@

seankearns Jun 2, 2015 1:35 pm

CSR confirmed the referrals are based on Calendar year FYI and although they didn't say it outright it seems that it is retroactive till January of this year.

jerryhung Jun 8, 2015 12:03 am

ha, the bloggers are not happy they can only get "15" referrals a year

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/06...riend-program/

Now, this won’t affect most people, but many people, myself included, make substantially more referrals a year than the cap allows. Although this is relatively easy to bypass, especially if you have another person in your household who churns, it is irritating and a devaluation of the program.

grandgourmand Jun 9, 2015 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 24935137)
ha, the bloggers are not happy they can only get "15" referrals a year

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/06...riend-program/

Now we know how he earned "millions of miles" via churning as per that CBC article. didn't mention the hard sell to friends/family/strangers for referral points. or, I guess links on the blog.

I am actually happy about this change. AS others have mentioned, this cap is better than seeing the referral system go away. No way I get close to that cap.

heraclitus Jun 9, 2015 3:08 pm

To play devil's advocate, wouldn't Amex want to encourage bloggers to drive business their way? Even with the millions of points they pay to busy bloggers in referrals, it must still work out to less than however much it costs to pay someone to sit at a kiosk in a mall or an airport and sign people up, or to take out ads in newspapers and magazines, no?