FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1646902-transfer-membership-rewards-points-airline-hotel-program-2015-2021-a.html)

bobu Jul 26, 2015 9:56 am

Originally Posted by finloopio (Post 25157729)
Love Avios but it would scare me to carry a balance if I could have the points in a flexible program instead. British Airways partner award chart could change at any moment. They already gutted premium cabin award redemption. I'd keep the Amex Rewards until you know what you want to do with them. Also consider Singapore Airlines instead of Aeroplan if you want to fly the Star Alliance.

How can you convert to Singapore airlines points? I'm looking at the conversion options and I don't see that.

mia Jul 26, 2015 10:13 am

Singapore Airlines is a transfer partner in some versions of Membership Rewards (e.g. USA), but not in others (e.g. Canada). reivilo is asking about Canada.

Note that the Wikipost at the top of this thread includes links to the lists of transfer partners and redemption ratios for many countries.

bgriff Jul 26, 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bobu (Post 25174820)
How can you convert to Singapore airlines points? I'm looking at the conversion options and I don't see that.

What country are you based in? Not every country offers the same set of transfer partners. If you are in the US, it should show up alongside the other airline transfer partners. Not sure which other countries do or don't offer SQ transfers.

bgriff Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am

Originally Posted by reivilo (Post 25151280)
Looking some advice here.

I have 70k on my Amex (Canada) and wondering if I should transfer to Avios (currently 1.25x), transfer to Aeroplan or just wait.

I have no clear plans so far but I am based in BCN and would probably be using them to book flights home (CDG/LHR->YUL) or for a trip to SE Asia.

Thanks in advance!

Avios tend to offer decent redemption options for shorthaul travel, but are not great for longhaul travel -- so for both of the trips you mention it is likely that you would be able to get a flight for fewer miles and/or fees with Aeroplan than Avios, even after accounting for the Avios transfer bonus. (Though of course you should wait until you are actually ready to book something before you make the transfer to Avios.)

Some people like to keep a balance with Avios for redeeming on short-haul flights -- for example especially if you have any need to go to LHR or MAD (by air) occasionally, which should require relatively few Avios from BCN. But where you don't have a ton of MR points it is probably not worth making a speculative transfer.

bobu Jul 26, 2015 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 25174893)
Singapore Airlines is a transfer partner in some versions of Membership Rewards (e.g. USA), but not in others (e.g. Canada). reivilo is asking about Canada.

Note that the Wikipost at the top of this thread includes links to the lists of transfer partners and redemption ratios for many countries.

yeah I'm in Canada too, and he asked about Canada, that's why I got all confused. So I guess I'm sticking with Avios or Aeroplan lol.

reivilo Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

Running a quick search on both sides... seems like I could book a LHR-YUL for around 20k avios and a CDG-YUL for 60k areoplan (both in economy). I know Aeroplan offers more flexibility and I'll probably have to book long before if I want to use my Avios, but it seems much more beneficial to go with Avios.

Is there something I forgot to consider ?

bgriff Jul 28, 2015 11:30 am

Originally Posted by reivilo (Post 25185398)
Running a quick search on both sides... seems like I could book a LHR-YUL for around 20k avios and a CDG-YUL for 60k areoplan (both in economy). I know Aeroplan offers more flexibility and I'll probably have to book long before if I want to use my Avios, but it seems much more beneficial to go with Avios.

Is there something I forgot to consider ?

I believe the 60K figure you quote is for a roundtrip, while the 20K is for a one-way award -- so 40K roundtrip. So there is still a gap but not quite that big. But, I believe the 20K figure is also for a peak award, whereas if you can find flights you want on an off-peak date on BA, it would be only 13K Avios one-way, which would be quite a good deal. (All flights involving partner airlines are priced at the peak rates.)

Avios does charge high cash fees on most awards, but Aeroplan is only marginally better in that regard, so Avios may be a better option for you. But I would still recommend waiting as long as you can before making the transfer, in case some other interesting alternative arises.

uPantcho Jul 30, 2015 7:28 pm

quick question: is there an easy website that shows award redemption rules?

im not a constant flyer but i have 80k united miles and 80 amex MR. im planning on a 2 person trip from california to brazil next year.

my original plan was to do a stopover in rio and later an openjaw at the destination with the possibility of a second openjaw on the way back to california. i know that united would allow this but i cant find the rules on partners. is there a specific website for all this? my google fu isnt helping because of the generic keywords involved

edit: nevermind, i just found that ANA allows 3 openjaws (??) and 1 stop over on roundtrips! it is also the cheaper from north america to brazil at only 50k points coach :)

steamboater Jul 31, 2015 7:41 am

What is best transfer program to get a first/business redemption in 3 weeks to Spain. Currently I only see the option for 295k Delta miles which is a total ripoff but may have to use it. Do any European carriers tend to release first/business award space as the flight approaches?

bgriff Jul 31, 2015 8:07 am

Originally Posted by uPantcho (Post 25198929)
quick question: is there an easy website that shows award redemption rules?

im not a constant flyer but i have 80k united miles and 80 amex MR. im planning on a 2 person trip from california to brazil next year.

my original plan was to do a stopover in rio and later an openjaw at the destination with the possibility of a second openjaw on the way back to california. i know that united would allow this but i cant find the rules on partners. is there a specific website for all this? my google fu isnt helping because of the generic keywords involved

edit: nevermind, i just found that ANA allows 3 openjaws (??) and 1 stop over on roundtrips! it is also the cheaper from north america to brazil at only 50k points coach :)

Be aware that ANA has fairly strict rules about booking awards for other people. I believe you have to be related (direct family or spouse) and somehow prove it to them.

With your 80k/80k split, it is going to be hard to book 2 roundtrips unless you earn more miles. It also sounds like maybe you are thinking of booking one person's ticket through UA and one person's through ANA? That can be risky since after booking one ticket the seats might disappear on the other program. (If you are going to go that route, though, best to book the other person's trip through UA and your own through ANA, given what I said above.)

You might have better luck booking two separate one-ways for two people each. It won't get you a bunch of open jaws or stopovers, so you might have to book some segments separately on paid cash tickets, but it could open up some more flexibility -- for example maybe Star Alliance has the dates you want on the way down but not the way back, so you could book through a oneworld or SkyTeam carrier instead for the return trip.

Being together on the same ticket in each direction is also better if there are disruptions -- for example if a flight is cancelled and you are on separate tickets, you might get rebooked on completely separate flights. Whereas if you are together on the same ticket you should be able to stay together more easily.

uPantcho Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 25200974)
[...]

i see, thanks for the help

i will look into 2 different one ways and not doing the stop over. i was planning on doing it on rio, but i guess i can just buy an extra rio-finaldestination and everything else keeps the same

now i got other questions though

ana's search doesnt find a lot of connecting flights. for those should i supply segment by segment on the "other redemption" screen? i tried that and i always land on a "This service is not available for the specified itinerary. Specify the flight criteria again." error

and elaborating on this topic... if i decide to book a ticket on united for instance and i want a stopover. it is necessary to call and book or is an online option (that i cant seem to find) to get a stopover?

thanks and sorry for the nb questions but im still learning the specifics

bgriff Jul 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by uPantcho (Post 25201676)
i see, thanks for the help

i will look into 2 different one ways and not doing the stop over. i was planning on doing it on rio, but i guess i can just buy an extra rio-finaldestination and everything else keeps the same

now i got other questions though

ana's search doesnt find a lot of connecting flights. for those should i supply segment by segment on the "other redemption" screen? i tried that and i always land on a "This service is not available for the specified itinerary. Specify the flight criteria again." error

and elaborating on this topic... if i decide to book a ticket on united for instance and i want a stopover. it is necessary to call and book or is an online option (that i cant seem to find) to get a stopover?

thanks and sorry for the nb questions but im still learning the specifics

I'm not an expert in either program but with United you may be able to book a stopover by doing a multi-city ticket search online. With ANA I believe you will need to call. Note that if you are looking at flights on United, there may be some options that are available using United miles that are not available through other Star Alliance programs like ANA. It is also possible ANA just isn't coming up with the same connecting options and you could call them and they might be able to find the options you're looking for.

Don't forget, if you are set on Star Alliance redemptions, that it is worth comparing ANA's award prices to Air Canada's.

uPantcho Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 25202587)

thanks again

im indeed checking all options. aeroplan doesnt seem to show some of the routes i was aiming for. i will later experiment more with multi destination and i guess if i cant finish the whole route i will have to call.

Thanks for your time!

bombadilio Aug 5, 2015 10:15 pm

Help Transferring Points to Maximize Benefit to a Newbie

I really want to be able to use points or some of my miles to book a flight to europe 1 way or round trip so I dont have to spend $1,000 - $1,400 I usually go from NYC to Europe . My issue is I have had the worst luck in regards to transferring points.

I have 260,000 Amex points
20,000 AA points
30,000 United Points
44,000 Delta Miles
4,529 Avios

I have to fly to Palma Mallorca on the 8/9/ or 10th and can fly from SFO, Reno Nevada, LAX Cali or NYC and then I plan to go from Frankfurt or Munich or Innsbruck Austria back. I read I could do a "Jaw Flight" But have had a hard time figuring this out. I had BA points but I think I lost my points years ago.

Any ideas?

Really appreciate the help!

tonei Aug 6, 2015 12:11 am

Not sure which month you’re talking about…Search for one way award availabilty in the programs you mention, particularly Delta since you can transfer your Amex points to Delta. It may also be worth taking a look at milez.biz to see which Amex transfer partners have the lowest mile requirements for the routes you’re looking for, and check those airlines for award availability.

An open jaw ticket just means flying from City A to City B, and then City C back to City A. For example, NYC-Palma Mallorca and Munich-NYC on a single ticket. Most programs also allow you to book one-way tickets which may be easier (and allows you to book e.g. one leg on Delta and the return on United).