FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex offers free Experian Credit Score? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1627093-amex-offers-free-experian-credit-score.html)

SteveT Dec 12, 2020 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 32879583)
I have a Platinum Card. Has access to the FICO 8 score (Experian, IIRC) in Account Services been removed?

I only see View Credit Score and that link takes me to the MyCredit Guide and VantageScore 3.0.

To get your FICO Score: Account Services > Profile > Scroll down and click FICO score.

Kacee Dec 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 32880778)
To get your FICO Score: Account Services > Profile > Scroll down and click FICO score.

Thanks.

So you can get both the worthless Vantage fake score and your Experian FICO 8 (but onl as of a specific date each month).

I'll note as data points that my VantageScore 3.0 is currently 46 points below my Experian FICO 8. Also, as of today, AMEX shows my November 14 Experian score, which is 15 points below my current score. Their algorithm can be extremely sensitive to monthly fluctuations in closing credit card account balances if a heavy spend month takes you over one of their percentage thresholds (in my case, 10% of total credit limit).

sdix Dec 12, 2020 12:30 pm

I check mine in many different places and never are they the same even tho they all call them similar names.

dayone Dec 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 32880778)

Thanks. I think I forgot the Profile step.

SteveT Dec 12, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32881184)
Thanks.

So you can get both the worthless Vantage fake score and your Experian FICO 8 (but onl as of a specific date each month).

I'll note as data points that my VantageScore 3.0 is currently 46 points below my Experian FICO 8. Also, as of today, AMEX shows my November 14 Experian score, which is 15 points below my current score. Their algorithm can be extremely sensitive to monthly fluctuations in closing credit card account balances if a heavy spend month takes you over one of their percentage thresholds (in my case, 10% of total credit limit).

The Experian FICO score is based on the dates they do their periodic soft pull review. with some folks, it's once a month, others are more frequent.

My Vantage score is about 15 points lower than my FICO 8.

cfabar1 Dec 13, 2020 2:09 pm

I find the easiest way to find the FICO score with Amex is through the iPhone App, and not the website. If you want to view the fake score that they have, the website is easier than the app.

vanillabean Dec 13, 2020 4:32 pm

It wasn’t until recently that I dipped into the free credit services of Chase and Amex, the credit card companies primary to me. Not having applied for any credit for nearly six years, my wife and I each got a few new cards, so given they had our reports already, I figured we might as well enjoy the splash of alerts stemming from inquiries, new accounts and balance fluctuations that these free services have to offer, flavored by letting many “dormant” accounts report a balance.

Inspired by creating My Equifax accounts, we even signed up for the free Experian service with alerts and the bonus of a FICO 8 score every so often and the free Transunion reports while we were at it, not to forget Credit Karma that we hadn’t checked for years and which provides Equifax and Transunion data.

Of course "Through April 20, 2021, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax will offer all U.S. consumers free weekly credit reports through AnnualCreditReport.com to help you protect your financial health during the sudden and unprecedented hardship caused by COVID-19.” but no alerts.

On top of it, I got an iPhone 12 two weeks ago and am now more than before impressed by various apps, perhaps Chase’s Credit Journey in particular, and for Amex I agree that

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 32883518)
I find the easiest way to find the FICO score with Amex is through the iPhone App, and not the website. If you want to view the fake score that they have, the website is easier than the app.

Yes, the bottom of the website lists CreditSecure (and MyCredit), but not FICO Score, while the app under Account lists FICO Score (and MyCredit), but not CreditSecure.

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 32610117)
With all the CC companies now offering some level of "free" FICO scores my score bounces up and down like a yoyo. My paid for Amex Credit Secure seems the most reliable and consistent with some changes monthly but not drastic. The scores from Chase or Citi can easily be 50 or more points different. Worse thing is I hust applied for a refi since the rates are so so low - I got an immediate 30 point hit on Credit Secure.....

I am beginning to doubt whether I still need it, but it’s certainly nice having the three reports lined up in a single display.

lsquare Dec 26, 2020 7:31 am

No longer possible to view credit score on my AMEX account?

I was able to see my Fico 8 score before. I just logged into my account and I got an error message when clicking on my credit score.

mia Dec 26, 2020 7:38 am

1) Scroll back to post 76 to confirm that you are following the procedure to view the FICO 8 score, rather than another.

2) Tell us what the Error Message says.

lsquare Dec 26, 2020 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32914017)
1) Scroll back to post 76 to confirm that you are following the procedure to view the FICO 8 score, rather than another.

2) Tell us what the Error Message says.

Oh...I definitely made a mistake. Did AMEX changed the way to view FICO score? I don't think I had to go to profile to see my FICO score. I just clicked account services and there's a link to see the credit score. It took me to AMEX's own credit website and then there was an error message.

mia Dec 26, 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32914087)
. I just clicked account services and there's a link to see the credit score.....

Two credit scores are offered from different providers. There is some discussion earlier in the thread.

serpens Dec 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32914087)
Did AMEX changed the way to view FICO score? I don't think I had to go to profile to see my FICO score. I just clicked account services and there's a link to see the credit score.

I didn't keep notes, but I believe that Amex changed, changed back, and changed again. As you said, it was not necessary to go to profile to see the score.

A big thank you to SteveT for explaining how to do it now.