Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Denial of Coverage for "Exotic Car" (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Amex Denial of Coverage for "Exotic Car" (Canada)

Apologies if an answer to this has been posted elsewhere, but I can't seem to find anyone else with a similar issue. I have the standard Canadian Amex Platinum. Thought I knew most of the exceptions (vehicles over $85k, pickups, vans, exotic cars, etc), but have run into an issue with being denied coverage. Reserved a rental in Germany with Hertz. Reserved a mid-size or full-size (don't have the docs here at the moment) Ford Mondeo or Similar, and when we picked up we received a Jaguar XE 2.0d sedan with 70k kms. Didn't think anything of it at the time. It's a compact, 4 cylinder diesel sedan, MSRP in Canada would be approx. $45k.

Had a minor accident (thankfully). Submitted a claim immediately to Amex within the 72 hour window. Hertz liability coverage took (I assume, never heard anything else) care of the third party's damage. From the time of the accident, to driving to the closest Hertz outlet to exchange the car and dealing with paperwork, we were back on the road within 2 hours (gotta love German efficiency).

Anyway, Amex Canada's insurer RSA has denied coverage for the vehicle, because they claim the car is an "exotic" vehicle under their policy. Here's the definition in Amex's Certificate of Insurance in Canada, where you'll see the issue I've encountered:
"Exotic” means any automobile which is not a standard Rental Auto offered by most of the Rental Agencies in the province or state, or in a country without provinces or states, where the vehicle was rented or is a vehicle totally or partially custom made, hand made, hand finished or is a vehicle of limited production (under 2,000 vehicles per year by the manufacturer). Exotic automobiles include, but are not limited to the following models: Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, De Lorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jaguar, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce and limousines.

As you can see, Jaguar is listed as an exotic vehicle. But the Hertz office had a number of them in the garage, along with lots of other base model Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. and the XE sells way more than 2000 per year and is not hand made or custom. Given that that definition includes Bricklin, De Lorean, and Excalibur, I think the definition likely hasn't been updated in a while. I mean, you'd think a Tesla Model S would be more exotic than a Jaguar XE. I have submitted an appeal of the decision to RSA, and am waiting for it to be considered, but wondering if anyone else has had similar experience or tips for resolving this sort of ludicrous situation. I'd prefer not to be personally responsible for a few thousand dollars in damage.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:09 pm

I hope it works out. I had a similar incident in the US with an XE at LAX, Hertz and Amex exchanged pleasantries and I never heard another word.
If you get a chance to speak with a representative ask them would they have covered an Escalade? that's a $90,000 truck and it's in Hertz standard fleet.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
What da?!?! A Jaguar is an Exotic car?!?! Seriously?!?!

So if you rent BMW M or maybe 7 Series or MB S-Class, these cars cost a lot more than a crappy Jaguar!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It's absurd that they're counting it among Astons and Lamborghini; give me a break Amex. Not every Jaguar is expensive.

Good luck
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I wouldn't consider a Porche Macan an exotic car, but AMEX obviously would.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:01 am

OP, your best bet would be to show AMEX which category of car you've booked your reservation, and that it falls within their coverage. You chose a Ford, but the rental decided to give you (as an upgrade?) a Jaguar. And that you have no control over.

This would also involve getting someone within Amex that has power to do more than just read and apply coverage terms, so you might have to try many times.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joburghfx
.... Here's the definition in Amex's Certificate of Insurance in Canada, where you'll see the issue I've encountered:
[i]"Exotic” means any automobile which is not a standard Rental Auto offered by most of the Rental Agencies in the province or state, or in a country without provinces or states, where the vehicle was rented or is a vehicle totally or partially custom made, hand made, hand finished or is a vehicle of limited production (under 2,000 vehicles per year by the manufacturer).....
While the list of excluded makes is helpful, this is the actual definition. Do other rental agencies in that area of Germany offer Jaguars?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Sorry a bit off topic but I'm curious if Centurion cards will cover "exotic" cars...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
OP, your best bet would be to show AMEX which category of car you've booked your reservation, and that it falls within their coverage. You chose a Ford, but the rental decided to give you (as an upgrade?) a Jaguar. And that you have no control over.

This would also involve getting someone within Amex that has power to do more than just read and apply coverage terms, so you might have to try many times.
Yes, that's what I did in my appeal email. The RSA representative who my partner spoke with about it was very nice and seemed to understand the absurdity of the situation. This was his recommendation for the appeal. They said they'd process the appeal within 10 business days, but it's now been more than a month and we're still waiting. I'm hoping that no news, is good news, as someone with some sense reconsiders the denial.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
While the list of excluded makes is helpful, this is the actual definition. Do other rental agencies in that area of Germany offer Jaguars?
Yeah, I agree with you that this is problematic, and if they deny the appeal, I'll have to do a broader search to determine what the other agencies in Germany/Dusseldorf are offering. But, that still to me doesn't bring every vehicle into a definition of "exotic" just because it's not used by other agencies in that area regularly. There are many standard vehicles that are not exotic that sell in low numbers, that could be found in a random rental fleet, and not be found anywhere else in the country. The definition, IMO, is a complete mess.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I wouldn't consider a Porche Macan an exotic car, but AMEX obviously would.
Yeah, that's the thing for people in Canada using Amex insurance. I'm really worried there are other people out there or people who could in the future be impacted by this. My bill is only a few thousand dollars, which is a huge financial pain, but not ruinous. If someone totalled a $50k car and didn't have any other insurance that could cover it, that's just terrible.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joburghfx
Yeah, that's the thing for people in Canada using Amex insurance. I'm really worried there are other people out there or people who could in the future be impacted by this. My bill is only a few thousand dollars, which is a huge financial pain, but not ruinous. If someone totalled a $50k car and didn't have any other insurance that could cover it, that's just terrible.
Tell them your "cousin"
(Forum_User had a similar incident in the US with an XE at LAX, Hertz and Amex)

Same car, etc. and was covered
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Regardless of what you think ought to be "exotic," by the contractual definition of "exotic" to which OP agreed, a Jaguar is covered by its terms.

Maybe somebody at Amex will decide to extend coverage as goodwill, all depending on OP's value as a customer.

The best OP can hope for is either pity or an error.

For others, all points to the need to be absolutely familiar with the contract terms. Either refuse the Jaguar or purchase coverage for it.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Regardless of what you think ought to be "exotic," by the contractual definition of "exotic" to which OP agreed, a Jaguar is covered by its terms.

Maybe somebody at Amex will decide to extend coverage as goodwill, all depending on OP's value as a customer.

The best OP can hope for is either pity or an error.

For others, all points to the need to be absolutely familiar with the contract terms. Either refuse the Jaguar or purchase coverage for it.
But the definition is contradictory. The Jaguar XE doesn't fit either of the 2 requirements for an exotic car in the first part of the definition. Therefore, how is that Jaguar model considered to be including as an example of an exotic Jaguar at the end of the definition?
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, it is not contradictory in the least.

An automobile could be "exotic" either because it fits the first clause, e.g., not a "standard Rental Auto" or because it is a named exclusion. Jaguar is a named exclusion and therefore not covered. A plain reading does not require that both parts of the definition be true, only one or the other or both.

"Exotic” means any automobile which is not a standard Rental Auto offered by most of the Rental Agencies in the province or state, or in a country without provinces or states, where the vehicle was rented or is a vehicle totally or partially custom made, hand made, hand finished or is a vehicle of limited production (under 2,000 vehicles per year by the manufacturer). Exotic automobiles include, but are not limited to the following models: Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, De Lorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jaguar, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce and limousines.
KDS777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.