Order Confirmation Number: XXXXXXX
Order Date: 01/24/2013
Shipping Address:
(My name)
(Unknown address in a different state)
(my email address)
Redemption item: $200 cash back

-----
The only problem is, I did not request for this redemption. At first I was terrified, wondering if someone has hacked into my account. The email seemed legit, with my name and email address. But the $200 was being sent to an out-of-state address I didn't recognize. I called Amex immediately, telling the representative what happened. She said all she could do was to file a report with the technical department, and the problem should be solved in a few hours. After the call I also sent a secure message to Amex. And this is the reply I got a few moments ago:

"It appears that the mentioned correspondence was intended to a different recipient. We're sorry that it got delivered at your email address and regret the inconvenience this may have caused.

I've taken necessary actions in this regards and this shouldn't happen again. Please note that the processing may take about 7 - 10 business days to complete."

7-10 business days? This is scary. I wonder if any of my personal information was sent to a different recipient in the past without me knowing....
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
ever heard of email phishing/spamming scams?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

That's the first thought I had, phishing. But after calling Amex they confirmed that they did send me the email in error. Who knows how many emails they sent out in error....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
ever heard of email phishing/spamming scams?
Ever heard of Amex system glitches, errors, and security breaches?

It's been widely reported over the last few years that there have been security compromises with Amex's (as well as other CC and Banking institutions such as BofA and Citibank) data recovery and backup systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.