Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of MR points for hotels in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Best use of MR points for hotels in Hawaii

I have about 80,000 Membership Reward points and 30,000 SPG points. We planed to stay in Hawaii for a few days in August. I would like to get an advice from the expert here about the best way to redeem those points for hotel stay in Hawaii.

It seems that the choices are more with Hilton HHonors points in Hawaii. Should I transfer those points to the Hilton HHonors points to book the Hilton hotels? Or is there a better way to enable us to get the maximum number of free nights in Hawaii?

We also have earned 2 free nights with the Hyatt Gold Passport credit card which I guess can be redeemed for free nights directly with Hyatt in Hawaii.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 pm
alc

While I am an AMEX MR Canada member, but I think AMEX MR US (assumed you are from US base on your 80K MR to 30K SPG ratio) can transfer to VA (Virgin Atlantic) at 1:1 ratio, then from VA to HH is at 1:2 ratio. Hence, you end up getting MR to HH (via VA) at 1:2 ratio --- over the standard MR to HH (Direct) at 2:3 ratio.

But do keep in mind that you will need a lot more points to redeem a free night with HH over SPG. So I think you should go thru all the hotels available from HH and SPG, pick the one you really like on both, then using the 3:1 ratio for SPG vs 1:2 ratio for HH and see which one get you more free nights in Hawaii.

I do not much about Hyatt, but I do think that if you are going to stay for more than 2 nights, it will be better to stay at a single hotel then check-in and check-out.. especially if you have kids travelling with you. If you are going for 2 or 3 weeks, that might be different story.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

alc, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am in US. I have both 80,000 MR points and 30,000 SPG points which I got from the sign up bonus for two Amex credit cards after meeting the minimum spending requirements.

We will be staying at Hawaii for a week. We have not decided which islands we will stay at. I am just wondering if converting both MR and SPG points to HH will get us the maximum number of free nights in Hawaii.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by sndenm
alc, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am in US. I have both 80,000 MR points and 30,000 SPG points which I got from the sign up bonus for two Amex credit cards after meeting the minimum spending requirements.

We will be staying at Hawaii for a week. We have not decided which islands we will stay at. I am just wondering if converting both MR and SPG points to HH will get us the maximum number of free nights in Hawaii.
Have you checked the cash rates (including Priceline) for hotels and also looked at vacation rentals? Depending on when you go, hotels can be cheap, and those MR points used elsewhere for greater value. Check out SPG cash and points, if available.

Hilton just did a devaluation, so be wary of transferring unless you are cerain of your plans. I stayed at HHV and Waikoloa, both are okay but I would not blow my MR on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.