Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 5:17 pm
wpj
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold

Just received the bad news:

new benefits:

-Complimentary enrollment in Priority Pass Worldwide (I think we already had this)
-200 Annual Travel Credit, to match US AMEX
-no booking fees on any travel booked through Plat Card Travel Services
-Toronto Pearson Airport Expanded Priority Lane Access, Complimentary Valet Service and 15% parking discount (on site lots)
-Gold Elite membership with Club Carlson
-Platinum Membership with Le Club Accorhotels
-Preferred Golf Membership for a full year
Old May 25, 2012, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Are you saying that this is for the normal, standard Amex plat that is currently $399 or for the aeroplan plat? If its for the standard one then goodbye platinum for me! Apart from the $200 credit there is absolutely nothing of interest in the other offerings unless possibly the PP includes entries.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:45 pm

Just received my glossy good news package from Amex Canada. After reading through the underwhelming "improvements", I noticed the increased fee (from $399 to $699).

I use my card on a fairly constant basis and on the rare occasion(s) that I've been compelled to use any of the benefits associated with the card, I've been thrilled with the service. That said, the increased fee is completely unjustifiable.

So it's likely Gold or goodbye for me.

To sum up: Amex is really taking the piss on this one.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

What kind of PP they are offering anyway?
Old May 25, 2012, 6:49 pm

BYE BYE platinum !!!
Old May 25, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Canada (25k), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Platinum)
Amex Plat is great in Canada for $399. Especially with Fairmont benefits.

$699 is a different story even with the $200 in airline expenses.

I haven't received anything in the mail yet but I am certainly interested.

Club Carlson
Le Club Accorhotels

Unless they add some sort of improved airline status I will have to reconsider here. Marco Polo Gold would be good if made permanent, but even then, it is not the most useful for many Canadians.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

my membership isnt due till MArch... will I get the extra benefits free till MArch ?
Old May 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
The airline credit is nice, I would also like no fx fee and the same Mr conversion ratio as Americans. For that it'd be worth it to me.

Also, I've JUST paid my annual fee this month
Old May 25, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Will say bye bye to my plat next March.

Humm ... does it mean the $200 credit will be available to us in June?
Old May 25, 2012, 7:50 pm

Will wait and see the package, but the new benefits don't look all that exciting... if the Priority Pass comes with free visitors, then it'll be a little more appealing.

Also, I wonder what will happen with my fee-waived Platinum card - I got AmEx to waive the fee as long as I kept the AeroPlat card and paid the AeroPlat fee, which was the higher priced card.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
I have just spoken to an AMEX csr. She insisted that my ticket must be purchased via amex travel AFTER June 29th to count for the travel fee reimbursement. So apparently my July trip (booked via amex) will not be eligible.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Canada (25k), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Platinum)
Originally Posted by hoser2112
Will wait and see the package, but the new benefits don't look all that exciting... if the Priority Pass comes with free visitors, then it'll be a little more appealing.

Also, I wonder what will happen with my fee-waived Platinum card - I got AmEx to waive the fee as long as I kept the AeroPlat card and paid the AeroPlat fee, which was the higher priced card.
Same here on the fee waiver...I'm not going to say anything if they don't
Old May 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by wpj
new benefits:

-Complimentary enrollment in Priority Pass Worldwide (I think we already had this)
What you currently have is the "Standard" tier (retails for $99), each visit costs 27USD.

The new version is "Prestige" tier (retails for $399), you and 1 guest can visit for free, as per the AMEX brochure.

Originally Posted by mars1982
Marco Polo Gold would be good if made permanent, but even then, it is not the most useful for many Canadians.
As permanent as it gets. No longer says "for 1 year" and it's listed in the same table as other lounge access privileges. Unless you only fly AC and use smaller Canadian airports, I think it is better than AC's MLL.

Originally Posted by BearSmart
Humm ... does it mean the $200 credit will be available to us in June?
Yes.

"For new travel booked after the effective date mentioned in the enclosed letter, be sure to use Platinum Card Travel Service and ask the travel representative to redeem your credit towards your travel. The Annual Travel Credit renews every January so, starting in 2013, you will be able to take advantage of it for any new travel booked that year."

Also once it's applied to a booking, it's gone for the year and if you decide to cancel the booking, you don't get the re-use the credit within the calendar year.

Last edited by beep88; May 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by hoser2112
I bet the fee waiver would still be valid, as long as you still own the AP Plat card.

However, the AP Plat card annual fee could go up as well.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
I bet the fee waiver would still be valid, as long as you still own the AP Plat card.

However, the AP Plat card annual fee could go up as well.
"Increases" the value of our benefit as cents to get 4 additional platinums for no free haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.