Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:55 pm

Just transferred 67,000 Amex to Avios, resulting in 100,000 Avios. Then booked 4 RT tickets to Hawaii in August fom LA for 100,000 and total $87.00 tax. The tickets on AA would have cost $3200.00. Even got to travel on weekends both ways!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Transfer to Air Canada, ANA, or Singapore Airlines for travel on UA or any Star Alliance carrier. Same caveats apply.
How long have recent transfers from AMEX to ANA taken? I see value in them for a few awards I have in mind, it's just that I've heard that it can take a while for points to hit the account, and that they won't hold awards to protect them while points are being transferred.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Transfer time information is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fer-times.html
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: united
Amex transfer points to Delta or British Airways?

I have 150k amex platinum points. I am a frequent flier on American. I am planning travel from JFK to Venice (VCE) in august.
I want to transfer points and am not sure if I should transfer to british air (1 amex pt=1.5 BA) or Delta (1:1)?

If I transfer to British Air, can I get American miles towards status?
Is the point value stronger on BA or Delta?

Delta appears to have cheaper flights so the points may be easier to get business class?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:00 am
mia

Originally Posted by tjpatte
If I transfer to British Air, can I get American miles towards status?
No. You can redeem BA points for travel on any OneWorld airline, including AA, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with elite status.

Do not transfer to BA, DL or any other airline on speculation. Locate award availability for your specific travel dates and transfer while in process of booking. You will need to compare the full cost of the redemption to decide. If you redeem through BA for transatlantic travel the fuel surcharges, taxes and other fees can be in the range of $1,000 per person. This is offset by Delta's notoriously poor award availability at the lowest mileage levels.

If you plan to travel in August 2012 you should already be looking for seats. Bear in mind that routing through London will be difficult in early August due to the Summer Olympics.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:08 am

Also be aware that if you are willing to risk a wait, there are often bonuses and incentives to transferring. Especially Delta. Heed Mia's advice first.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:19 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
BA may be..Expensive Higher YQ's etc., Messy LHR-LGW may be only award availability.

If switching miles to BA you also have options with IB via MAD and AB via BER

Both with lower Taxes etc.

Getting Peak Summer seats on Delta at reasonable mileage rates is going to be a Challenge, and as mia has mentioned with London you have The Olympics in August.

Heed advice and look for Award seats first before transferring anything. Finally you do not get miles when using Points for Awards, unless its MFU.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: united
If i transfer points to BA, can i book the flight on American Airlines and use points towards that ticket purchase?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If i transfer points to BA, can i book the flight on American Airlines and use points towards that ticket purchase?
BA Avios can be redeemed for travel on AA. But all BA redemptions for travel on AA are subject to fuel surcharges except for AA flights within the Americas.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:18 am
mia

You can redeem BA Avois points for travel on any OneWorld airline including AA, but you do the entire transaction with British Airways. The first step is check to see if BA is showing award availability through AA (or another airline) on the dates you wish to travel.

In which class of service are you planning to travel: economy or business? The BA fuel surcharges and fees on a transatlantic economy class ticket will not save much compared to buying the tickets outright. Business class is a diffeent proposition.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Here is a good summary of using BA Avios points. he also has a good summary of using MR points to Europe here.
Old May 9, 2012, 3:48 pm

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I also have 135,000 MR points.

My dilemma is how many to transfer to BA and how many to keep for potential future bonus promotions with other airlines.

I already have 52,000 BA Avios and thinking to transfer 100,000 MR to bump up Avios balance to 200,000.

Why? I want to do business class trip from Boston to Dublin, another one from NYC to Vancouver, and have some leftover for either NYC-Lima or NYC-Sao Paulo.

Another idea it to wait for Delta 25-33% bonus transfer promotion.

Alternatively, I am thinking transferring 1:1 to ANA or Singapore.

Any suggestions?
Old May 9, 2012, 3:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
...I want to do business class trip from Boston to Dublin...
Via London or non-stop? (Is there a partner carrier which flies that route?)

Last edited by mia; May 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by BigRedBears

Another idea it to wait for Delta 25-33% bonus transfer promotion.

Alternatively, I am thinking transferring 1:1 to ANA or Singapore.

Any suggestions?
I wouldn't bet $$ on any DL transfers anytime soon. It's been a hot minute, and with the rumored DL changes, we may not see any DL bonuses again. They may prove me wrong tomorrow, but I'd be shocked.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Via London or non-stop? (Is there a partner carrier which flies that route?)
Even though Aer Lingus is not in OneWorld alliance, it is a partner with BA and it flies Boston-Dublin directly.

The idea is that the route is 2993 miles meaning it barely squeaks into 25K Avios bucket for business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.