Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jgold47
I think you get a free additional card vs. the $175 for the normal card. I could theoretically just get my wife the free gold card, but she travels on her own occasionally and uses it for the lounges.
Well and it is one free and three more for $175. My wife, mom, mother-in-law and brother-in-law all carry the extra cards. TBH we had a mini-reunion at a Priority Pass lounge once and ate our way past the supplemental fee for the year.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Does opening an access investing account still let people apply for the Morgan Stanley Platinum? Looking to signup for the free AU.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:15 am

Can the co-branded MS Plat be product changed to a Gold?
And can a Gold be product changed to a MS Plat?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Can the co-branded MS Plat be product changed to a Gold?
And can a Gold be product changed to a MS Plat?
I'm sure they can upgrade a co-branded card. Not sure about doing a downgrade.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:20 am

I am absolutely confused with this card, as is my MS broker. I have yet to apply for it, as I can't seem to figure out if the fee is waived for MS assets over $1M, or if you simply receive a $500 annual credit if you spend over $100K in a year. I also phoned AmEx, and they cited the $500 spending reimbursement, but had no knowledge of the fee waiver. Is there anything in writing out there from either AmEx or MS that clarifies the fee waiver, as I do meet eligibility requirements? I'm not so sure that I would be charging $100K to the card, as MR points are not that valuable to me.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
I am absolutely confused with this card, as is my MS broker. I have yet to apply for it, as I can't seem to figure out if the fee is waived for MS assets over $1M, or if you simply receive a $500 annual credit if you spend over $100K in a year. I also phoned AmEx, and they cited the $500 spending reimbursement, but had no knowledge of the fee waiver. Is there anything in writing out there from either AmEx or MS that clarifies the fee waiver, as I do meet eligibility requirements? I'm not so sure that I would be charging $100K to the card, as MR points are not that valuable to me.

read the first few posts in this thread

read the T&C before applying to confirm whats current
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fee is waived only when you enroll to a particular program. It is asset based not spend based.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Fee is waived only when you enroll to a particular program. It is asset based not spend based.
I know that I do meet the Morgan Stanley investment asset requirement of $1M+, but my broker is unfamiliar with the Platinum card fee waiver. I spoke to Morgan Stanley customer care today, and they said that my broker should be very familiar with the procedure, and that I should bluntly tell him that I want the card and I want the fee waved, or I may ask to transfer my account to another Morgan Stanley office. That’s not my style, but my guess is that customer care knows something that I don’t know regarding how brokers deal with the AMEX card. My broker has managed my portfolio favorably over the years, so I’d like to maintain a good relationship.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that I do meet the Morgan Stanley investment asset requirement of $1M+, but my broker is unfamiliar with the Platinum card fee waiver. I spoke to Morgan Stanley customer care today, and they said that my broker should be very familiar with the procedure, and that I should bluntly tell him that I want the card and I want the fee waved, or I may ask to transfer my account to another Morgan Stanley office. That’s not my style, but my guess is that customer care knows something that I don’t know regarding how brokers deal with the AMEX card. My broker has managed my portfolio favorably over the years, so I’d like to maintain a good relationship.
I am not MS client but a friend is. Last year he mentioned about the need to enroll to a certain program - I believe it is called Premium Cash Management, else the fee would not be REIMBURSED. The fee is not "waived" per se, but being reimbursed by MS in the form of something called Engagement Bonus. Once he is enrolled, each year after he paid the fee, it was reimbursed by MS, automatically. He did say he wondered how many MS clients actually knew about such benefit existed.

Now his enrollment was a couple years ago so not sure if such benefit still exists in the same form. That is a different issue.

Also AMEX does not know how MS handles the annual fee. He called for retention this year and AMEX gave 50K pts without any requirement despite his fee had already be reimbursed by MS.

Yes, your broker or asset manager should know about the details. He should know the mechanism on how this is done. Customer Service is not the dept you deal with on this.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 11, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am not MS client but a friend is. Last year he mentioned about the need to enroll to a certain program - I believe it is called Premium Cash Management, else the fee would not be REIMBURSED. The fee is not "waived" per se, but being reimbursed by MS in the form of something called Engagement Bonus. Once he is enrolled, each year after he paid the fee, it was reimbursed by MS, automatically. He did say he wondered how many MS clients actually knew about such benefit existed.

Now his enrollment was a couple years ago so not sure if such benefit still exists in the same form. That is a different issue.

Also AMEX does not know how MS handles the annual fee. He called for retention this year and AMEX gave 50K pts without any requirement despite his fee had already be reimbursed by MS.

Yes, your broker or asset manager should know about the details. He should know the mechanism on how this is done. Customer Service is not the dept you deal with on this.
Thank you for the information. That will definitely help when I have a conversation within the next couple of weeks with my asset manager.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:36 pm

I have discovered (in a talk with MS Cash Management department) that the Premier Cash Management program (which is what provides the annual $550 "reimbursement" for the Amex Platinum Card) is going away in January.
The program which will replace it is called CashPlus and there will be 2 levels. A "Platinum" CashPlus Account will give the $550 rebate for the cost of the Amex Platinum Card. But, there are different requirements than PCM for establishing a CashPlus Account and for retaining it without having to pay a monthly fee ($45 for the Platinum CashPlus Account.)
Of course it's still possible to get an Amex Platinum Card (plus 1 additional free AU) by just having the required MS Account(s) and balances.
This is the online link to the CashPlus Disclosure Statement:
https://www.morganstanley.com/wealth...estatement.pdf
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by AjFlyer
I have discovered (in a talk with MS Cash Management department) that the Premier Cash Management program (which is what provides the annual $550 "reimbursement" for the Amex Platinum Card) is going away in January.
The program which will replace it is called CashPlus and there will be 2 levels. A "Platinum" CashPlus Account will give the $550 rebate for the cost of the Amex Platinum Card. But, there are different requirements than PCM for establishing a CashPlus Account and for retaining it without having to pay a monthly fee ($45 for the Platinum CashPlus Account.)
Of course it's still possible to get an Amex Platinum Card (plus 1 additional free AU) by just having the required MS Account(s) and balances.
$45*12=540...so cheaper than paying the AF for those that do not otherwise qualify.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
$45*12=540...so cheaper than paying the AF for those that do not otherwise qualify.
Good catch, plus a free AU!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AjFlyer
I believe there are currently two reimbursements:
1) $550 rebate for assets over $1M (given at time of application, as well as annually to offset annual fee)
2) a $500 rebate at your anniversary for spending over $100K per year

I believe that #1 is what is changing Jan 2020 (with no changes to #2 ), but is this correct?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Morgan Stanley appears to have relaunched its Premier Cash Management Program as "CashPlus". Among the benefits for a Platinum CashPlus account is a $550 Platinum annual fee reimbursement and a debit card with price protection. The minimum requirements for a fee-free Platinum CashPlus account appear to be $25,000 deposit in the sweep fund (MGPXX, which appears to yield 1.25%) and a $5,000 monthly direct deposit. This appears to be a pretty compelling option and a strong competitor to other brokerages' cash management accounts.

https://www.morganstanley.com/what-w...ement/cashplus

Any one else considering this? I'd potentially consider moving my Fidelity Cash Management account to Morgan Stanley for a fee-free Amex Platinum and slightly (~0.15%) less in cash yields.

Last edited by progapanda; Jan 27, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.