Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:28 pm

877-263-9607. Keep in mind the following:

The Platinum CardŽ from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley is only
available to you if you have an eligible Morgan Stanley Smith Barney brokerage account
(“eligible account”). Eligible account means a Morgan Stanley Smith Barney brokerage
account held in your name or in the name of a revocable trust where you are the
grantor and trustee, except for the following accounts: Charitable Remainder Annuity
Trusts, Charitable Remainder Unitrusts, irrevocable trusts and employer-sponsored
accounts. Eligibility is subject to change. We may cancel your Card Account and
participation in this program, if you do not maintain an eligible Morgan Stanley
Smith Barney brokerage account.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I can't tell from browsing the small print, but does anyone know if this card has the GlobalEntry credit like the regular plat card?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
I have *significant* dollars in MSSB, which never seems to come into play with a normal cc app. Think this aids chances for approval? Already have 5 AMEX cards.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
I have *significant* dollars in MSSB, which never seems to come into play with a normal cc app. Think this aids chances for approval? Already have 5 AMEX cards.
I do believe that MSSB discloses the relationship value to Amex as part of the application process.

Nowadays, Amex and other creditors ask for the asset value3of you financial accounts as part of their application process.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:28 am

Well I applied for the MSSB AmEx Plat card on 3/27, and I got a call yesterday evening on 3/29 at 9:45pm informing me that I had been approved. I've both A) Never had an AMEX CSR call me to inform me I've been approved, and B) Gotten a CSR call so late in the evening!

I'm now in the weird position in which I have two active AmEx Platinum cards, but I'm cancelling my regular Plat before the annual fee hits in a month or so.

I'm no math professor, but I'm pretty sure 2 x Platinum = Centurion. Right?????
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
...2 x Platinum = Centurion. Right?????
In the American Express method 5.5 Platinum approaches 1 Centurion.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:25 pm

Well I applied for the MSSB AmEx Plat card on 3/27, and I got a call yesterday evening on 3/29 at 9:45pm informing me that I had been approved. I've both A) Never had an AMEX CSR call me to inform me I've been approved, and B) Gotten a CSR call so late in the evening!

I'm now in the weird position in which I have two active AmEx Platinum cards, but I'm cancelling my regular Plat before the annual fee hits in a month or so.

I'm no math professor, but I'm pretty sure 2 x Platinum = Centurion. Right?????
Call them now. They will give you a pro rata refund. I however got a retention bonus a month ago of 15K mr, bought $200 of us airways gift cards, then canceled and got $412.50 back plus the new card bonus of 50K mr. ^
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have a Morgan Stanley Smith Barney brokerage account and have the FMA (Financial Management Account) Card that has earned points in the MSSB rewards program. If you get one of these newly released Amex cards before 12/31/12 your points convert to Membership Rewards points which are much more valuable to me than MSSB Rewards, which is a nice plus.

Does anyone know if these new cards are charge cards or credit cards?

Can you get a bonus by refering someone (like a family member) to this card that has a MSSB account?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by KaiserG13
Does anyone know if these new cards are charge cards or credit cards?
There are two cards, one of each type.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
For those who already have a Plat card, do you still get the 50K bonus with the MSSB Plat?

I opened my Plat card last August with a 25K bonus. Would I get 0, 25K, 50K with the MSSB Plat?

You can apply online via http://www.americanexpress.com/mscards
Old May 16, 2012, 9:06 am

I got the 50K bonus, then canceled my other platinum which I had gotten a 100K
bonus. Then a 15k retention bonus. They then gave me a a refund on the annual fee paid for the first card.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

American Express Morgan Stanley Card

Anyone know about American Express Morgan Stanley Card? Anything special about this card vs a regular American Express card?

http://www.morganstanleyindividual.c...tions/MSCards/

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711463.html
Old May 29, 2012, 3:00 pm
mia

Moderator action

comptalk's question merged into existing thread. Reviewing the preceding post should prove enlightening.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by comptalk
Anyone know about American Express Morgan Stanley Card? Anything special about this card vs a regular American Express card?

http://www.morganstanleyindividual.c...tions/MSCards/

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711463.html
There's a bonus for $100K in spend that I'll never ever reach, but the big difference between the Regular Plat and the MSSB plat I've used is the free additional cardholder. That in and of itself isn't that great, but in addition to the primary cardholder, the additional cardholder also gets the reimbursed GlobalEntry enrollment. So I was able to get my GlobalEntry fees reimbursed for both my girlfriend and me. ^
Old May 30, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
There's a bonus for $100K in spend that I'll never ever reach, but the big difference between the Regular Plat and the MSSB plat I've used is the free additional cardholder. That in and of itself isn't that great, but in addition to the primary cardholder, the additional cardholder also gets the reimbursed GlobalEntry enrollment. So I was able to get my GlobalEntry fees reimbursed for both my girlfriend and me. ^
Does the additional card holder get to use the airline lounge by themselves?
That would be a nice bonus if true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.