Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card

Old Apr 2, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by hawata View Post
doesn't matter... I had to reapply for the regular Plat card and close the MS
do you happen to know the minimum qualifications to keep the account open?
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Apparently you can have a self-managed MS account with a $5k minimum. That way you can keep using your advisor at a new firm, and still maintain your MS Amex:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/getti...-stanley-card/

Not sure why you would want use an advisor at all if you can have a self-managed account for a modest fee.
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:53 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

I have merged jgold47's question into the primary Morgan Stanley thread.

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Apparently you can have a self-managed MS account with a $5k minimum..
It's not a self-managed account, it's a robo-advisor account with a limited set of investment options and models.
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Not sure why you would want use an advisor at all if you can have a self-managed account for a modest fee.
I mean, I could cut my own hair too..../s

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I have merged jgold47's question into the primary Morgan Stanley thread.

It's not a self-managed account, it's a robo-advisor account with a limited set of investment options and models.
Thanks - if it has to be an AAA account it probably wont work for me. If its any advisory account, I have a 529 over the limit sitting there. I suppose I can call and find out, but I've got a couple of the folks from my old advisors office hounding me to sign back up which I will not be doing.
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
I mean, I could cut my own hair too..../s
One of these days you will realize you are the one who is being fleeced:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:23 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
These are the published terms:

Eligibility Terms
Morgan Stanley Platinum Card is only available to you if you have an Eligible Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC brokerage Account ("Eligible Account"). Eligible Account means a Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC ("Morgan Stanley") brokerage account held in your name or in the name of a revocable trust where you are the grantor and trustee, except for the following accounts: Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Charitable Remainder Unitrusts, irrevocable trusts and employer-sponsored accounts. Eligibility is subject to change.

American Express may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program, if you do not maintain an Eligible Morgan Stanley brokerage Account.

Morgan Stanley may compensate your Financial Advisor and other employees in connection with your acquisition or use of the Morgan Stanley Platinum Card.
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:32 pm

My Financial Advisor is switching firms and I'd like to go with him. I use my amex plat quite a bit, especially for travel. Does anyone have experience with what would happen if I moved my account out of Morgan Stanley? I suppose I could just convert to a normal Platinum card, but my wife uses her card too. Its been several years w/them if that matters.
I do not recall any additional benefits with the MS Plat card. It is just another card to get the bonus. If you have no plan to stick with MS, I believe you can just call AmEx to switch it over to regular Plat card.

The minimum to keep a MS account open is either $3k or $5k. But again, there is no point of doing so since there is nothing special about the MS card.

The old Mercedes Benz Plat card has extra benefits. But it is gone. The Schwab Plat card has extra benefits too. There are three more Platinum cards.
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
I do not recall any additional benefits with the MS Plat card. It is just another card to get the bonus. If you have no plan to stick with MS, I believe you can just call AmEx to switch it over to regular Plat card.

The minimum to keep a MS account open is either $3k or $5k. But again, there is no point of doing so since there is nothing special about the MS card.

The old Mercedes Benz Plat card has extra benefits. But it is gone. The Schwab Plat card has extra benefits too. There are three more Platinum cards.
I think you get a free additional card vs. the $175 for the normal card. I could theoretically just get my wife the free gold card, but she travels on her own occasionally and uses it for the lounges.

Last edited by jgold47; Apr 2, 19 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
I think you get a free additional card vs. the $175 for the normal card. I could theoretically just get my wife the free gold card, but she travels on her own occasionally and uses it for the lounges.
Well and it is one free and three more for $175. My wife, mom, mother-in-law and brother-in-law all carry the extra cards. TBH we had a mini-reunion at a Priority Pass lounge once and ate our way past the supplemental fee for the year.