Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:23 am

I used my extra $200 that was good from 12/10 - 12/31 last year on a DL Sky Club membership. It's been great for me, mostly for use in AS, AF, BA and other clubs. Anyway, I have to use another DL $200 before the end of the year. I was considering going to the airport and buying some DL GCs...

I went to the Sky Club site, and noticed that they are currently running a promo for renewing or joining Sky Club that is good until 12/31. If you join by then, you can get 2 extra months (14 months) or 1,500 MQMs. The promo codes are at https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...omos/index.jsp

If you aren't already a member, you also get the $50 initiation fee waived by using one of these promos. It also mentions that you are free to renew early. So I renewed my membership that runs out mid-February for $300. With the $200 credit, it will cost me $100 for 14 months of membership.

Now to decide which airline to elect for 2012.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
... DL Sky Club membership. It's been great for me, mostly for use in AS, AF, BA and other clubs....
I would be surprised in a DL membership helped you enter a BA lounge?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I would be surprised in a DL membership helped you enter a BA lounge?
You're right, that was Priority Pass...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by aviators99
You're right, that was Priority Pass...
don't think any of the BA lounges accepts Priority Pass
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:03 pm

Actually Priority Pass is accepted at BA Galleries at IAD.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:29 am

For those like myself who would prefer cash back instead of airline gift cards or incidental reimbursements, I think I've found a nice loophole. You can purchase Delta gift certificates (can't buy them online; have to purchase them from Delta at an airport or Delta office), then, according to Delta's gift certificate T&C, you may receive a refund for the gift certificate if returned within one year (again, at an airport or Delta office). Delta, according to its T&C, may charge a 10 percent fee for the refund. If Delta does, that's still $180 of the $200 you'll receive back. I bought four $50 Delta gift cards yesterday. Will wait for the AMEX credit to post, then return the gift cards.

Anyone else try this?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:58 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
For those like myself who would prefer cash back instead of airline gift cards or incidental reimbursements, I think I've found a nice loophole. You can purchase Delta gift certificates (can't buy them online; have to purchase them from Delta at an airport or Delta office), then, according to Delta's gift certificate T&C, you may receive a refund for the gift certificate if returned within one year (again, at an airport or Delta office). Delta, according to its T&C, may charge a 10 percent fee for the refund. If Delta does, that's still $180 of the $200 you'll receive back. I bought four $50 Delta gift cards yesterday. Will wait for the AMEX credit to post, then return the gift cards.

Anyone else try this?
Did you get credited for the delta GC purchase?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Buying Skymiles?

I have searched this thread, but have not found the definitive answer as to if the purchase of Skymiles will be reimbursed. Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) done this?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PL, AMX Plat, AMX DR, Hertz Gold, mx hotel
Delta skymiles not reimbursed

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
I have searched this thread, but have not found the definitive answer as to if the purchase of Skymiles will be reimbursed. Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) done this?
I tried and it didn't work - keep in mind though that my fee was 320.00 so it seems like from previous posts - anything over say 100 has a tougher time of getting "automatically" credited

Last edited by wdmonet; Dec 23, 2011 at 8:27 am Reason: hit enter too quick!!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:58 am

It worked for me after a phone call and a couple of months of waiting.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I tried the double-up miles offer (for $39) on a ticket and that was not reimbursed.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
What date does a Sky Club purchase post to your Amex account? I will be at the airport on Dec 31. In my experience, my online Delta ticket purchase has always posted on my Amex the day after the purchase. Is the same true for a sky club purchase?
(Sorry for the double-post. I already posted this ? earlier today in the Delta forum, then realized this could be a better place.)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by budblab
What date does a Sky Club purchase post to your Amex account? I will be at the airport on Dec 31. In my experience, my online Delta ticket purchase has always posted on my Amex the day after the purchase. Is the same true for a sky club purchase?
(Sorry for the double-post. I already posted this ? earlier today in the Delta forum, then realized this could be a better place.)
I wouldnt worry about it. They give you receipts at the time of purchase and I believe it is related to transaction date, not posting date. My skyclub purchases were reimbursed about 3days later. If you are concerned, I would try to make the club purchase earlier upon arrival at the club and not at closing time.

Everyone should expect delays from account activity from any transactions from Dec 24-26 as well as Dec 31 -Jan 2.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by wdmonet
I tried and it didn't work - keep in mind though that my fee was 320.00 so it seems like from previous posts - anything over say 100 has a tougher time of getting "automatically" credited
I bought the MQM deal at the end of the year. I think the fee was 500 dollars, and I called plat customer service to have them credit my remaining 150 in airline credit towards that. It shows up on your amex bill specifically as "airline/travel fee" or something, so it wasn't hard to argue with them, but I did have to call twice to make sure it was credited.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Hilton
Originally Posted by InfoMofo
I bought the MQM deal at the end of the year. I think the fee was 500 dollars, and I called plat customer service to have them credit my remaining 150 in airline credit towards that. It shows up on your amex bill specifically as "airline/travel fee" or something, so it wasn't hard to argue with them, but I did have to call twice to make sure it was credited.
Are you saying that you bought the 5000 MQMs for $495 and AMEX reimbursed you your remaining $150 for that purchase? What does it look like on your AMEX statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.