Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Yes, thanks to the other posters for support. Amex Plat holder for 5 years. Don't travel as much but the $200 reimbursement for airline credit using gift card method was useful to justify card. Now that card annual fee up from $450 to $550 and I have little use for $200 Amex credit, I am cancelling. Never have used global entry with Amex as I have had it for the last 5 years but my birthday was just a few days ago and I am eligible for renewal. Hence, the last hurrah for reimbursement. Not trying to game the system. I appreciate everyone's responses and support!
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Curious, does anyone know how long it takes for item to post to account.
FWIW I paid for GE renewals for myself and a family member (neither one on an AMEX Plat actually -- Bonvoy Brilliant and CSR -- but that shouldn't matter for the purposes of this specific question) in the last 2 months and both charges posted within 1-2 days.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Yes, thanks to the other posters for support. Amex Plat holder for 5 years. Don't travel as much but the $200 reimbursement for airline credit using gift card method was useful to justify card. Now that card annual fee up from $450 to $550 and I have little use for $200 Amex credit, I am cancelling. Never have used global entry with Amex as I have had it for the last 5 years but my birthday was just a few days ago and I am eligible for renewal. Hence, the last hurrah for reimbursement. Not trying to game the system. I appreciate everyone's responses and support!
I apologize for my judgy response, I thought this was just a churn card and you were just trying to milk a first year fee waiver or something.

Sorry I jumped to conclusions!
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Dec. 14 $100 Global Entry renewal charge on Business Platinum
Dec. 19 $100 statement credit

It's a very nice card benefit.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:29 pm

I've had my Biz Plat for 3 years now and can't remember if I've used the $100 Global entry credit on it. Without searching through all my past transactions, is there a quick way to determine if I've used it (similar to the "meter" for the annual $200 airline reimbursement)?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:56 am

Not aware of any tracker for this benefit. I have used it several times and dont recall receiving/seeing anything like that.

You could try logging in to the full website, go to statements and activity > custom date range > search for global. It's not clear what the date limits are but I can get it working ok for a 2 year search, and see all my credits called "TSA GLOBAL ENTRY FEE CREDIT".

If you do end up reviewing statements, the credits are always at the top in the Payments and Credits section, so it may not too time consuming.

Or call Amex and ask
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:53 pm

Looks like all members in the state of NY will be loosing the ability to renew or enroll in Global Entry. Another lost benefit but at least not Amex's fault.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Can TSE Pre/Global Entry Statement Credit Cover a Friend?

I haven't charged a TSE Pre or Global Entry application fee to my Amex Consumer and Business Platinum cards, because I used a non-Amex card. If I charge a friend's application fee to my card, will I receive a statement credit? They are not an authorized user on my accounts.

Thx..
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Explore
I haven't charged a TSE Pre or Global Entry application fee to my Amex Consumer and Business Platinum cards, because I used a non-Amex card. If I charge a friend's application fee to my card, will I receive a statement credit? They are not an authorized user on my accounts.
All that matters for the credit is that the charge posts from the correct merchant*, not who the application is for (I doubt they even get that info).

*I have successfully done this in the last month or so (but also on other occasions). It'll post as something like "US Customs/Trusted Traveler"
hhdl and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:58 am

Global Entry/TSA precheck for authorized users?

I remember reading somewhere, may have been on helpmebuildcredit.com but not for sure, that any authorized user gets a tsa precheck credit even if you add on the free level. Anybody heard of this or tried it?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by esaphire3
....precheck credit even if you add on the free level. Anybody heard of this or tried it?
I moved your question into a more specific thread. To clarify, you are asking if free employee Green Cards on a Business Platinum card have the Global Entry/Precheck reimbursement benefit?

Last edited by mia; Dec 6, 2021 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by Explore

Thx..
Yes I have done this twice with two different cards.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:41 am

esaphire3 I have not tried it on other cards but I do know that, for the Personal Amex Platinum card, if you add an authorized user under the "Add No Annual Fee Additional Gold Cards" benefit (I really hate that confusing branding) that the Platinum Gold Authorized User will receive their own independent Global Entry credit which is in addition to that of the primary Platinum cardholder.

For instance, I have an Amex Platinum card and I have set my wife up as a Gold AU on the account. I have charged my Global Entry application to my Platinum and she charged her Global Entry application on her Gold AU. I received two separate $100 credits on my statement for these applications.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
esaphire3 I have not tried it on other cards but I do know that, for the Personal Amex Platinum card, if you add an authorized user under the "Add No Annual Fee Additional Gold Cards" benefit (I really hate that confusing branding) that the Platinum Gold Authorized User will receive their own independent Global Entry credit which is in addition to that of the primary Platinum cardholder.

For instance, I have an Amex Platinum card and I have set my wife up as a Gold AU on the account. I have charged my Global Entry application to my Platinum and she charged her Global Entry application on her Gold AU. I received two separate $100 credits on my statement for these applications.
I contacted the site to clarify and they responded that the post maistakenly said the business platinum but it really meant for the personal platinum
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Resurrecting this thread for now.

Those in the Chase forum are now reporting that CSR (and potentially some other Chase cards) are now adding Nexus reimbursement to the list of available options for trusted traveller programs, and that perhaps this was related to the Aeroplan card they just launched. Thread over there includes a screenshot of someone having already received a credit.

Currently, Amex specifically excludes Nexus reimbursement in the terms (despite it charging from the same place), and I'm not aware of any card with a GE/Precheck credit until now that had actually been reimbursing for Nexus. To be honest, I'm not sure why - Nexus (at least, at retail) is half the cost. I'm not sure how this credit is handled by the issuers (do they just pay for the reimbursement all themselves...or is there some sort of deal with DHS where they help as a way to boost enrollment). Either way, wondering if anyone thinks Amex (or other issuers) might add Nexus to the list, now that Chase has. I'd love to see that.

My wife's needs to renew in the next few months, so we'll be putting it on the CSR. Mine renews a bit later in 2022, so would be helpful if Amex added this benefit as well.

This has always been annoying to me. As a dual citizen, who lives in the US but with lots of friends/family in Canada, we (outside of a pandemic), usually travel between the 2 at least 3-4+times a year. So GE on its own makes zero sense, so I've always just paid for it.
imnotalawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.