Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Did you ask why you got rejected? They don't necessarily have to tell you why, but there have been reports that they will in some cases. I think it would be wise to find out the reason your first application was rejected, and if it's something simple that can be fixed, or a mistake, then you can take care of it, rather than simply going through the process again blindly.
One thing to keep in mind -- I've seen reports of rejections which aren't based on anything you did wrong, but because of other operational reasons. In many cases, they do not wish to assume the risk of offering you accelerating screening. This may not even be due to anything you did. Perhaps they know there's someone out there with your name and a criminal record, but they don't know their DOB or other data to verify it isn't truly you. Or someone with a similar name on a terrorist watch list... Or even some data they couldn't positively and independently verify about your own record.

I've seen people ask for a review and succeed the second time around. Other times, they may never tell you why.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
A nice perk for card members!

Global entry does speed up re-entry into the US. Just be aware that if you come in through MIA, the Global Entry kiosks are at a weird spot and they ask you to still wait in an immigration line afterwards. That airport is so behind the times, it's not even funny.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Did you ask why you got rejected? They don't necessarily have to tell you why, but there have been reports that they will in some cases. I think it would be wise to find out the reason your first application was rejected, and if it's something simple that can be fixed, or a mistake, then you can take care of it, rather than simply going through the process again blindly.
They said they couldn't tell me why. I was told that I had to write a letter to the DHS in Texas and I figured I wouldn't get a response anyways. I only enter the US 2 or 3 times a year so it's not a big deal. But maybe I'll try again.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs up GE reimbursement starts April 5 for Plats

Just talked to AMEX Plat phone agent.

Global Entry application fee reimbursement starts tomorrow (April 5) for individual plat members. No registration at amex.com is required. Amex system will see the application fee charge come through and process the credit automatically.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPpete
Just talked to AMEX Plat phone agent.

Global Entry application fee reimbursement starts tomorrow (April 5) for individual plat members. No registration at amex.com is required. Amex system will see the application fee charge come through and process the credit automatically.

Enjoy!
So does that mean we should wait to sign up til tomorrow, or that they will start processing the reimbursements tomorrow? Great news ^
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Wow this is pretty cool.

This benefits drag race between Chase PP and Amex Plat is going to make 2011 an interesting year.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Darn! I just signed up for Global Entry last month!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Is this for only US cardholders or worldwide?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Is this for only US cardholders or worldwide?
I cannot recall American Express ever introducing a benefit worldwide. This specific announcement pertains to Centurion and Platinum personal and business cards issued in the USA.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:25 am

I'm trying to decide if this benefit is worth it for someone who only travels internationally about 5 times per year.

You have to take a half day off work, and spend several hours of an afternoon driving to a location and interviewing, all to save maybe 20 minutes several times a year.

It's a cool perk, but i don't know that it is worth it unless you travel internationally a lot.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Darn! I just signed up for Global Entry last month!
I know the feeling. I applied less than a week ago (and used another of my Amex cards, so even if they do program a grace period into the calculation, I doubt I'll qualify). Oh well. Win some/lose some.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by johndoe123
One thing to keep in mind -- I've seen reports of rejections which aren't based on anything you did wrong, but because of other operational reasons. In many cases, they do not wish to assume the risk of offering you accelerating screening. This may not even be due to anything you did. Perhaps they know there's someone out there with your name and a criminal record, but they don't know their DOB or other data to verify it isn't truly you. Or someone with a similar name on a terrorist watch list... Or even some data they couldn't positively and independently verify about your own record.

I've seen people ask for a review and succeed the second time around. Other times, they may never tell you why.
I don't mean to take this conversation off-topic, but it is important to speak up about things like this. As a US citizen, I find it constitutionally problematic for the government to have this GE program & then reject some applicants without an explanation or due to no fault of the applicant. I am not an attorney, but it seems to be a lack of due process and equal protection.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by longleaf
I'm trying to decide if this benefit is worth it for someone who only travels internationally about 5 times per year.
It's an individual decision. But, I think you've made some false assumptions and also have assumed that things that apply in your situation apply generally:

You have to take a half day off work
The interview center at my closest airport has GE interview appointments every day of the year, including all holidays. So, unless you work every day of the year, it is not necessary to take a half-day off of work.

, and spend several hours of an afternoon driving to a location and interviewing,
Most people are probably not several hours by car from an interview center. But in the event that you are, one thing people have done is to schedule the interview when they will otherwise be at an airport with an interview center, such as when they're flying to/from that city, or even just connecting in that city. This eliminates having to make a special trip to the airport just for the interview. Since you're activated in the system within an hour or two of completing the interview process, some even do the interview before boarding their outbound flight for their next international trip, and can use GE upon their return.

all to save maybe 20 minutes several times a year.
If that's all it means to you, then you're perhaps not the best candidate. In many cases, the wait can easily be over an hour to clear Immigration. Plus, you also get to skip the Customs line.

One of the biggest benefits that people report is the reduction in variability and uncertainty in the wait: especially if you have to make a connecting flight, it can be very valuable to know that there won't be an extra wait that can vary anywhere between nothing and an hour depending on the situation, and cannot be predicted in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:21 pm

It's an individual decision. But, I think you've made some false assumptions and also have assumed that things that apply in your situation apply generally:

The interview center at my closest airport has GE interview appointments every day of the year, including all holidays. So, unless you work every day of the year, it is not necessary to take a half-day off of work.

Most people are probably not several hours by car from an interview center. But in the event that you are, one thing people have done is to schedule the interview when they will otherwise be at an airport with an interview center, such as when they're flying to/from that city, or even just connecting in that city. This eliminates having to make a special trip to the airport just for the interview. Since you're activated in the system within an hour or two of completing the interview process, some even do the interview before boarding their outbound flight for their next international trip, and can use GE upon their return.

If that's all it means to you, then you're perhaps not the best candidate. In many cases, the wait can easily be over an hour to clear Immigration. Plus, you also get to skip the Customs line.

One of the biggest benefits that people report is the reduction in variability and uncertainty in the wait: especially if you have to make a connecting flight, it can be very valuable to know that there won't be an extra wait that can vary anywhere between nothing and an hour depending on the situation, and cannot be predicted in advance.
all good points. I just looked at the interview cities, and didn't realize the interview locations are at the airport. I think i will probably sign up then, if i can schedule an interview the same day as my next international flight. Hopefully they let you set the specific interview date.

The variability and uncertainty of time it may take is a good point if you are in a rush when you arrive for whatever reason (dinner plans, meeting, etc).

Cheers
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf

You have to take a half day off work, and spend several hours of an afternoon driving to a location and interviewing, all to save maybe 20 minutes several times a year.

It's a cool perk, but i don't know that it is worth it unless you travel internationally a lot.
The process is pretty simple. Most is done on line and via the phone. You are required one visit which is painless.

If you travel solo it's probably worth it for 5 trips. You can not take a traveling companion in the line with you so you would end up waiting anyway.

However..... They do put a CBP sticker on your passport or Green Card which DOES allow you to cut to the front of the line. Of course while permissible you do generally tick off the others in line!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.