Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Eliminates Foreign Currency Fees USA Centurion and Platinum cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Eliminates Foreign Currency Fees USA Centurion and Platinum cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Thumbs up T&C's Updated!

Just opened up the online version of the cardmember agreement for my Plat Amex (it's in PDF format) and it now shows under "Fees":

Transaction Fees
• Foreign Transaction None
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Just opened up the online version of the cardmember agreement for my Plat Amex (it's in PDF format) and it now shows under "Fees":

Transaction Fees
Well that's a lot easier than me waiting for my Sainsbury's purchase to post

Strangely, despite having digital signature pads, Sainsbury's still required me to sign a paper slip when I swiped my US AmEx card. Won't be doing that too often.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:48 am

Transaction Fees
I can also confirm No Foreign Transaction fee in online cardmember agreement ^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA*G
Foreign Transaction Fee
We no longer charge your account a Foreign Transaction Fee. In Your Agreement for Transferring Funds Electronically,
the following is added after the first sentence of the sixth paragraph: “However, we do not charge this fee for ATM
withdrawals made using cards issued on U.S. Consumer or OPEN Platinum Card or Centurion Card accounts.”
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Transaction Fees
Link?
Looks like the application page still shows 2.7%.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Link?
Looks like the application page still shows 2.7%.
If you have a Platinum Charge card, login in your account summary page and on the right hand side you will see a link to cardemember agreement.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:03 pm

FYI: New agreement date is as of 3/27/2011
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ditto for Centurion. I also see this line...

Foreign Transaction Fee
We no longer charge your account a Foreign Transaction Fee. In Your Agreement for Transferring Funds Electronically, the following is added after the first sentence of the sixth paragraph: “However, we do not charge this fee for ATM withdrawals made using cards issued on U.S. Consumer or OPEN Platinum Card or Centurion Card accounts.”

Unfortunately my Starwood Amex still says 2.7%
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Nice! It's about time they did away with the fees. I wonder if any of the Gold cards will have the fees removed in the near future...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:54 pm

Images of New Agreement - 3/27/2011

I have been following this thread closely and want to thank everyone for the heads up on this change. I've embedded images of the new agreement for reference.

Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:29 pm

On the assumption that I have made a lot of money for AMEX over the years, combined with the fact that a bunch of foreign currency transaction fees were just processed on my statement from a recent trip abroad, I had the novel idea of phoning AMEX Platinum to see if they would waive the fee for this long standing platinum card holder.

In any event:

the response was a big No. And, apparently, many others have asked over the past week or so. All got the big goose egg.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Charge successfully posted from 27 March 2011 with no forex fee! It does show up with a blue dot in the "Foreign Spend" column, and the details give the amount of the charge in the original currency.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Charge successfully posted from 27 March 2011 with no forex fee! It does show up with a blue dot in the "Foreign Spend" column, and the details give the amount of the charge in the original currency.
nice!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Tested No FOREX in Jamaica

Here we go...I'll also be using the Plat in Europe this weekend.

I blacked out my charge amounts so you all don't think I'm an alcoholic

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by krpjr
Here we go...I'll also be using the Plat in Europe this weekend.

I blacked out my charge amounts so you all don't think I'm an alcoholic
I cant see your pending charges LOL!!!

Last edited by mia; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22 am Reason: Please do not include images in quotations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.