Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways added to Airport Clubs Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:50 am
Original Poster

cent/Plat now has access to US air lounges !

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ame...k=MW_news_stmp

looks like you don't even need to fly us air, unlike the current lounge program.^
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
US Airways added to Airport Clubs Access

https://www217.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

Thanks American Express for the additional airport club! Let's get it over with and pay the fees for a Priority Pass exclusive to only US airports.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Now if they would only add delta sky clubs to the priority pass....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Plus for US Club you do not need to be traveling (or you could be traveling someone else).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cova
Plus for US Club you do not need to be traveling (or you could be traveling someone else).
Almost all the clubs I have seen though have been past security (the worldperks lounge at DCA was pre security I believe and I think that is about the only one I have seen presecurity and not sure with the merger if it's there anymore). If you aren't travelling, how do you go to a post security lounge with no boarding pass?

Being able to access the lounge would be nice on those nights I have an early morning flight and do a park and flight the prior night.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Almost all the clubs I have seen though have been past security (the worldperks lounge at DCA was pre security I believe and I think that is about the only one I have seen presecurity and not sure with the merger if it's there anymore). If you aren't travelling, how do you go to a post security lounge with no boarding pass?

Being able to access the lounge would be nice on those nights I have an early morning flight and do a park and flight the prior night.
There are previous threads which discuss this.
Same as if you were a Presidents Club member and wanted to get into a Continental Lounge without flying - you can do it, it's just a pain in the a...

I think the more useful point here is that if you are flying with any airline whatsoever, you can access the US Airways clubs now.
That cannot be said about any other Amex partner airline lounge.

It is pretty much the same level of access to their lounges as if you were a paying member of the "US Airways Club" lounge program - in which a standard membership costs $450 a year (less than Continental charges) - which would justify the entire cost of the Amex Plat card...
However, a full membership in US Airways Club entitles you to open access also to all Continental and United Lounges too (and vice-versa through reciprocal arrangements).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by cova
Keep in mind that all other airlines' lounge programs have hundreds of member lounges around the country...

There are only 13 US Airways lounges in the entire planet...

It's not like some massive floodgate has been opened...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by S.Bling
Keep in mind that all other airlines' lounge programs have hundreds of member lounges around the country...

There are only 13 US Airways lounges in the entire planet...

It's not like some massive floodgate has been opened...
There aren't "hundreds of member lounges" available around the country unless you're including Regus lounges somehow. I agree that this isn't a watershed moment, but it is significant, particularly with the lack of requirement to be flying on US metal to get in.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

very nice! any info when this starts? I have a roundtrip to CLT on Saturday.

Too bad their club at BWI closed.....

FDW
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
...any info when this starts?
I would say access is effective now because the US Airways clubs are already listed here...

https://www217.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

...as noted in post #2.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
There aren't "hundreds of member lounges" available around the country unless you're including Regus lounges somehow. I agree that this isn't a watershed moment, but it is significant, particularly with the lack of requirement to be flying on US metal to get in.
I count in the USA alone a couple of dozen PresidentsClubs, 45 SkyClubs, over 30 AdmiralsClubs, plus AA Flagship lounges, etc.

And those are just the "owned and operated by" lounges for the airline themselves - there is reciprocal access for a bunch of others within their alliance.

Not geting into semantics, but my point was that while it is a welcome addition to have new lounges that do not require a same-day ticket on their metal - there are very few US Airways lounges in existence worldwide to start holding celebratory fireworks parties, lol.
US Airways has been closing lounges this year to save costs, not adding them. (Amex's deal surely provided a cash injection to stave off some more closures.)

So:
- It's great that Amex added a new lounge partner.
- Caveat is that it's the smallest lounge partner.
- and keep in mind that this is probably a precursor to announcing the impending loss of CO lounges (of which there are many more), rather than the addition of UA lounges (of which there are 26 in the US alone).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:39 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
- and keep in mind that this is probably a precursor to announcing the impending loss of CO lounges (of which there are many more), rather than the addition of UA lounges (of which there are 26 in the US alone).
Yikes! Let's hope not... I was just starting to think maybe Amex would add some other Centurion benefits as well... here's hoping.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I count in the USA alone a couple of dozen PresidentsClubs, 45 SkyClubs, over 30 AdmiralsClubs, plus AA Flagship lounges, etc.
Well, AA Flagship lounges are not accessible via Amex Platinum (which is what this thread is about, no?)

By my math, a couple dozen (i.e. 24) + 45 + 30 = 99 "hundreds" seems like pretty generous rounding...

And those are just the "owned and operated by" lounges for the airline themselves - there is reciprocal access for a bunch of others within their alliance.
Alliance lounges have never been accessible via US Amex Platinum to my knowledge (which, again, is what this thread is about) and thus would seem moot for this conversation and any conclusion regarding the percent increase of lounges now available to Amex Platinum card holders, which would seem to be the relevant data point for this thread, no?

Regards
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
BTW, I don't disagree with you on this prediction at all, but at this point it's just that; a prediction. The US Airways partnership is now apparently fact.

Regards
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Hurray! I had actually stopped flying US and started booking AA for access on most of my trips. Being PHX based, this is huge news. I'm renewing Plat for sure this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.