Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 1:26 am

Thank you. After all, I decided to do a charge back but had a really had time to prove that my package got stolen to Amex. Seller actually got the tracking number saying my package has been delivered and no way to follow-up with them. Amex still managed to refund the money I paid for but overall very long process. I almost cried because the package was $2100 worth of value and got me anxious whether or not to get my money back.

I also have another item (PC) lost ($2700). This one is paid with Paypal using Amex Gold. Does anyone know if paid by Palpal (not through Amex because the statement shows PAYPAL...), PP could be applied? Has anyone gotten any trouble filing PP claim? It sounds absurd but my son actually left the packback outside at the soccer field while playing with his mate. Do you think Amex will buy the story?
Old May 25, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
You should go to your homeowner insurance and claim.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tomvu1606
Thank you. After all, I decided to do a charge back but had a really had time to prove that my package got stolen to Amex. Seller actually got the tracking number saying my package has been delivered and no way to follow-up with them. Amex still managed to refund the money I paid for but overall very long process. I almost cried because the package was $2100 worth of value and got me anxious whether or not to get my money back.

I also have another item (PC) lost ($2700). This one is paid with Paypal using Amex Gold. Does anyone know if paid by Palpal (not through Amex because the statement shows PAYPAL...), PP could be applied? Has anyone gotten any trouble filing PP claim? It sounds absurd but my son actually left the packback outside at the soccer field while playing with his mate. Do you think Amex will buy the story?
go read paypal's terms

the transaction should say whether purchase protection is activated
Old May 29, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do you think Amex will buy the story?
At least I won't.

I also have another item (PC) lost ($2700).
It sounds absurd but my son actually left the packback outside at the soccer field while playing with his mate.
While exists in real-life for professional gaming, it is rare for a laptop to cost $2700. Unless your son is a professional gamer (which usually have sponsorships or prize), I don't see how a child will need a $2700 laptop.

This one is paid with Paypal using Amex Gold.
Another ding - why would someone use PayPal when credit cards are accepted?
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.

That sounds like you'd have to file a police report. You're saying it was left out and subsequently stolen? Amex might cover it, but if you keep making claims like that they'll probably kick you out. That's a dubious story to me, so I would imagine it doesn't sound great to Amex either.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by caliform
That sounds like you'd have to file a police report. You're saying it was left out and subsequently stolen? Amex might cover it, but if you keep making claims like that they'll probably kick you out. That's a dubious story to me, so I would imagine it doesn't sound great to Amex either.

You wont need a police report for a lost item. I had this happen with a camera a couple years ago. One of the kids took it on a field trip, and left it sitting on a bench. AMEX covered it with very few questions. But like Cali said, multiple claims will likely cause them pause, and have a chance that they decide you are no longer a worthwhile customer and close all your accounts.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Beneficiaries & purchase protection

I have a question about the purchase proection offered by American Express, when using the Delta SkyMiles Gold card. We purchased an iPhone 11 for a family member in mid-January of this year. Unfortunately, the phone was lost at a train station while abroad and not retrieved (it was clearly stolen by whoever found it).

I was thinking that the purchase protection may come in handy here. However, in the terms and conditions of the card it states "Eligible Beneficiary means the Card Member or other intended beneficiary entitled to make a Claim." This makes us think purchase protection applies only to items in direct control by the cardholder, but this seems somewhat restrictive as then gifts may never be covered. Also, I find the definition of "intended" beneficary somewhat nebulous and it is not clearly spelled out in the same document. Does intended mean anybody identified by the cardholder; i.e. receipients of gifts bought with the card?

Later I read that no coverage is covered for, "theft of, or from, baggage not carried by an Eligible Beneficiary or under the control of an Eligible Beneficiary or a traveling companion known by the Eligible Beneficiary," I am of the opinion this clause does not apply, as no baggage was involved.

What do you think? Could we make a case for purchase protection? Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Terms for Skymiles Gold Purchase Protection are here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...-Rev-03-18.pdf

This benefit covers theft or damage. It does not cover lost items. (Your supposition that it was stolen after it was lost, doesn't change the character of the original loss, see Exclusion 7)
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by mia
Terms for Skymiles Gold Purchase Protection are here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...-Rev-03-18.pdf

This benefit covers theft or damage. It does not cover lost items. (Your supposition that it was stolen after it was lost, doesn't change the character of the original loss, see Exclusion 7)
We can prove it was theft. The police agree and are treating it as a theft.

The original question still remains: can we claim the protection despite the stolen item being lost by a family member and not the cardholder?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I cannot think of any reason not to submit a claim.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:44 pm

Question Amex Purchase Protection Return

I bought an item on my Amex Gold from Walmart and lost it. I filed purchase protection and they refunded me after validating my claim. It’s been 2 months and now I found the item that I thought I had lost.

My question is what would happen if I returned this item to Walmart and got credited for it onto the account ? Has anyone ever done this before ? Would Amex take back the money they awarded me from 2 months ago when they honored my claim?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:12 pm

just be an honest civilian and contact amex, they may tell you to just keep the item and thank you for your honesty
IndyHoosier and bladerunner6 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Fapster
I bought an item on my Amex Gold from Walmart and lost it. I filed purchase protection and they refunded me after validating my claim. It’s been 2 months and now I found the item that I thought I had lost.

My question is what would happen if I returned this item to Walmart and got credited for it onto the account ? Has anyone ever done this before ? Would Amex take back the money they awarded me from 2 months ago when they honored my claim?
Contact AMEX Assurance and see what they want.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.

Audit trail, easy case for someone..
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... what would happen if I returned this item to Walmart and got credited for it onto the account?

Has anyone ever done this before?
No, because that wouldn't have ever crossed my mind.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 26, 2020 at 6:06 am Reason: See Flyertalk Rule 12.2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.