Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
I filed a claim a couple weeks ago for a laptop that fell and is not working properly. Amex Assurance requested a receipt which I provided. Today the status says CLOSED but no letter or anything indicating a approval o denial.

Does this means that it is likely a denial?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I filed a claim a couple weeks ago for a laptop that fell and is not working properly. Amex Assurance requested a receipt which I provided. Today the status says CLOSED but no letter or anything indicating a approval o denial.

pick up the phone and call and ask...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
pick up the phone and call and ask...
I did. The representative told to wait for a letter because she couldn’t see the decision 🙄
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704

Are you sure you also didn't get an email? I've always gotten email with PDF attached + follow-up letter in the mail. However, not sure if the website status shows something before the email letter arrives. But the email version usually arrives before the physical letter.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
Are you sure you also didn't get an email? I've always gotten email with PDF attached + follow-up letter in the mail. However, not sure if the website status shows something before the email letter arrives. But the email version usually arrives before the physical letter.
I received an e-mail this morning saying that the claimed was approved.

Yesterday it changed to CLOSED around 6 PM EST.

Email received this morning at 5 AM EST.

First time I called, the representative told me that she couldn't see the decision made and that I had to wait. Called one hour later and the representative told me it was approved.
gooselee and levilevi like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta
Purchase protection

Hello, does anyone knows how many days normally it would take to get an update on the Purchase protection claim. I had accidentally broken my new apple watch the same day i purchased and its been 4 days before i had been asked to submit the receipt. But after that i have not heard anything back from them yet.
If anyone has any idea on this part, please let me know.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by pichandru
Hello, does anyone knows how many days normally it would take to get an update on the Purchase protection claim. I had accidentally broken my new apple watch the same day i purchased and its been 4 days before i had been asked to submit the receipt. But after that i have not heard anything back from them yet.
If anyone has any idea on this part, please let me know.
You can't take it back the Apple Store and have them replace it? My wife broke her watch by accidentally bumping into a counter a week after the purchase and Apple had no problem giving her a brand new replacement (no Apple Care plan in place).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My son's airpods fell out of his pocket today in a busy walking area (on vacay). We only realized after about an hour. Of course, no sign of them after an hour of searching. Purchased <90 days ago with Gold card. I see that "lost" is only covered on certain cards. Blogs say Gold should cover "lost" but I can't find it in the terms on line. Ultimately they were "stolen" but I'm not sure how to fill out claim.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
....Blogs say Gold should cover "lost" but I can't find it in the terms on line. .....
The terms are here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ev%2003-18.pdf

Page 1: Covered Incident means the loss or theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
The terms are here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ev%2003-18.pdf

Page 1: Covered Incident means the loss or theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account
Thanks. I must’ve been on some other link. Went ahead and filed the claim.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

Thanks. I must’ve been on some other link.
Verify that I linked to the correct document by beginning here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:39 am

How much time normally its taking for the decision? from the date of submitting the receipt
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by pichandru
How much time normally its taking for the decision? from the date of submitting the receipt
It varies but Amex is pretty quick. I would call after one week if you haven't heard.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:01 am

OK. its been 5 days since i submitted the receipt.. Its been holidays so will try to keep calm for another 3/4 days or so, then will give a ring.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Verify that I linked to the correct document by beginning here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

It also says exclusions are: "purchases lost or misplaced (lost is only coverable
for Platinum and Centurion Cardmembers, this
exclusion is removed for Platinum and Centurion
Cardmembers)."

Amex terms use "lost" and "loss" in different ways. It feels intentionally confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.