Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by amexamex
My $240 necklace fell down the rain, I filed accidental damage under protection. Amex said they don't cover item that irretrievable. A friend who is a plumber said he might be able to locate the item. What should I do?
What card was it? Can it be considered a "lost" item? (Gold and Plat cards cover those)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Amex said they don't cover item that irretrievable. ....
Correct, this is in the published Purchased Protection benefits:

General Exclusions
Benefits are not payable if the Covered Incident for which coverage is sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:

14. purchases that are lost and/or irretrievable (i.e. item is neither stolen nor damaged), misplaced, or
Mysteriously Disappeared.
If you like the necklace you should probably retrieve it.
levilevi likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: s
I have Gold Delta, item bought < 120 days. It's a hassle to retrieve under the drain. Klanfa, the exclusion 14 says not covered
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: N/A
Here’s a new one. Ordered a nice bottle of champagne but when it arrived in the mail it was piping hot and am positive the contents are no longer at close to ideal conditions.

Does purchase protection cover this consumable, although it is not perishable? I know consumable and perishable together are not covered.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
....Does purchase protection cover this consumable, although it is not perishable? I know consumable and perishable together are not covered. [/left]
Don't think I understand the question. Wine is a consumable, and consumables are excluded. You seem to know this but think that because it's not also perishable that the exclusion doesn't apply?

The following purchases are not covered:
1. consumable or perishable items with extended or limited life spans (including, but not limited to: food, perfume, light bulbs, batteries);
Note also this:

General Exclusions
Benefits are not payable if the Covered Incident for which coverage is sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:
11. damage or theft while under the care and control of a common carrier (including but not limited to transportation services, postal services, delivery services for hire);
I think they are telling you to file a claim with the merchant or the carrier if you think the item was damaged by excessive temperatures in-transit.

This article may be helpful:

https://www.vinexpo-newsroom.com/imp...ons-champagne/

It doesn't sound as if a few days at temperatures in the mid-80's had an effect worth mentioning, but a much higher temperature, or a longer time period, did.

Last edited by mia; Dec 1, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:24 pm

My $240 necklace fell down the rain, I filed accidental damage under protection. Amex said they don't cover item that irretrievable. A friend who is a plumber said he might be able to locate the item. What should I do?
oh this sucks. Ironically it’s what chase premier credit cards like CSR or Ritz cover. Those cards , on the other hand, do not cover lost items so I only put purchases on Amex plat or citi prestige (prestige has price protection and +2y warranty)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:09 pm

Not purchase protection, but travel/baggage protection and I see some posts for that here so I thought I would add:

My wife and I were on a snorkel excursion while in Maui this summer and she lost one of her diamond Tiffany stud earrings in the water as she took the mask off her head (I know... she knows... she felt really bad and it was a silly mistake, but life goes on). They were just super tiny earrings I bought her when we were first married, but they were/are about $500 a piece. Got home from the trip, filed the claim right away after remembering a points guy article about any travel on any common carrier you buy a ticket for being valid for baggage insurance. Amex found the charge for the tickets on the boat, and asked for additional information, extra copies of the receipts on the purchase of the jewelry once, which we actually had since we save them for jewelry (but the earring purchase was over 10 years ago). Amex refunded us the price of the pair of earrings, which is about the price of just a little over one earring in today's prices, but it was enough to get the earring replaced. Overall was a great experience.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Any experience filing a claim without the original receipt?

I bought a cashmere scarf that found its way into the laundry after a trip. Tried re-stretching it but it's done for. However...i already tossed the receipt as it was purchased back in June.

Nearing the 120 day mark so I'm going to file a claim, just interested as to what to expect.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gooselee
Any experience filing a claim without the original receipt?

I bought a cashmere scarf that found its way into the laundry after a trip. Tried re-stretching it but it's done for. However...i already tossed the receipt as it was purchased back in June.

Nearing the 120 day mark so I'm going to file a claim, just interested as to what to expect.
Not sure how you can file a claim after 90 days.

Nevertheless, AMEX CS can help you to get a copy of the sale receipt.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Not sure how you can file a claim after 90 days.

Nevertheless, AMEX CS can help you to get a copy of the sale receipt.
The purchase protection window was extended to 120 days in most states back in August.
gooselee and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Ok so as it turns out I was an idiot and it has been almost 150 days, not 120, so I'm out of luck and the receipt is now a moot point. But yes, the latest T&Cs I downloaded show a 120 day window for purchase protection now.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Member
Eh, got rear-ended today. Car has broken rear axle, and the whole was not my fault. Besides the fact the car is non-drivable currently, and only 4 months old, the impact made some other damages which I am discovering right now.
At least three of the items purchased in the last 4 months were damaged, and I am not sure whether they qualify for a purchase protection (accidental damage) since they were in a trunk or on the roof of car. My bag with new laptop hit my daughter's trumpet (all bought end of August/beginning of September). Laptop is broken, trumpet is dented (seriously - was cheap one, but for trumpet cheap still means $300). Our roof cargo box (Thule, used it only once:/) is cracked. Even do not know how to approach that, whether it is a valid claim since all that happened irrelevant to those items - there were only at the time of accident in a car. Can someone comment whether it is worth to file a claim, or swallow it as I it would look like I am an idiot (has only police report as regards car, no description of Thule, trumpet, laptop damages), and be happy I am without any hurt.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by piotrs
Eh, got rear-ended today. Car has broken rear axle, and the whole was not my fault. Besides the fact the car is non-drivable currently, and only 4 months old, the impact made some other damages which I am discovering right now.
At least three of the items purchased in the last 4 months were damaged, and I am not sure whether they qualify for a purchase protection (accidental damage) since they were in a trunk or on the roof of car. My bag with new laptop hit my daughter's trumpet (all bought end of August/beginning of September). Laptop is broken, trumpet is dented (seriously - was cheap one, but for trumpet cheap still means $300). Our roof cargo box (Thule, used it only once:/) is cracked. Even do not know how to approach that, whether it is a valid claim since all that happened irrelevant to those items - there were only at the time of accident in a car. Can someone comment whether it is worth to file a claim, or swallow it as I it would look like I am an idiot (has only police report as regards car, no description of Thule, trumpet, laptop damages), and be happy I am without any hurt.
Worst thing they can say is that they won't cover it so might as well give it a shot. They'll likely ask for your other insurance policies that could have potentially covered it to ensure no double coverage. They'll also be looking for repair estimates I imagine.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:05 am

Yea, have you settled with the insurance company of the person who hit you yet?. If not, I would get the receipts in order for all those things and then use that with the insurance company of the person who hit you. Especially the cargo box as it is an automotive add on like lights or performance parts would be. If everyone is in 100% agreement that it isn't your fault the insurance company should be really anxious to pay you off for these things in exchange for you to agree it is settled and not going to court.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by piotrs
Most obvious thing would be adding them to the claim you are submitting with the other person's insurance. If possible, dont touch the items, take pictures of them as they are laying in place with damage, and document everything, including seeing if the police can add to their report.

That said, read the purchase protection policy. You should be able to figure out what if any coverage you might have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.