Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Card to Gold Card: how to get the bonus points promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Today I reached out to American Express via chat to change my (US) Platinum Card to the Gold Card. I simply no longer use the benefits of The Platinum Card.

Prior to the chat I browsed the Amex cards. There was a promo for 90,000 points if you spend $6,000 within 6 months. I asked the rep if I would be eligible for that promo since, to my knowledge, I had never received any new card bonuses. I was told I was not eligible since I was downgrading my card but could apply for the Gold Card via the promo offer page. This made no sense to me. What is the difference? The rep simply said, “That’s the rule.”

The rep then made me a “tempting offer.” Agree to keep the Platinum Card and receive 35,000 points after spending $4,000 within 3 months.

From not eligible because it’s a downgrade to apply for the new card to a retention offer. The chat was taking too long and I had other things to do. I told the rep I would have to contact Amex when I had more time.

After chatting I read the T&Cs of the promo. It stated:

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Premier Rewards Gold Card, the Platinum Card®, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.

I have been a Cardmember for 26 years. I believe prior to receiving the Platinum Card (about 15 years ago) I had the Gold Card for five years or so and prior to that another American Express card.

Questions:
Is it standard to have to apply for the new card (vs “downgrade”) to get the promo offer?

Is applying for the new card the same as a new customer applying for a new card?

I would cancel the Platinum Card. Would American Express carry over my Member Since date? Is that on the new card application or does it require a call to American Express afterwards to link the history?

The rep did not mention I was ineligible for the promo because I currently have a Platinum Card and previously had a Gold Card. How flexible is American Express when it comes to, “You may not be eligible…”?

I have an excellent payment history with American Express and a very high FICO score. I do not play the game of chasing new cards for bonus points. This was my first time asking for points.

What have others’ experiences been?

Any tips or things I need to look out for?

Thank you for your help!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FogCityTraveler
1. There is no bonus when downgrading.

2. You can apply for a Gold card while holding a Platinum card, but you are not eligible for a bonus, because you have had a Platinum card, and also because you have had a Gold card recently enough that customer service can see it on your history.

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Premier Rewards Gold Card, the Platinum Card®, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.
3. When you apply for any American Express (USA) card there will be a Pop-Up to tell you if you are not eligible for the new account bonus. Customer Service does not have the authority to make exceptions. You can circumvent card-specific restrictions by applying for a different card (e.g. Business rather than personal, or a credit card rather than a charge card). but if you close your Platinum Card before opening another card which earns Membership Rewards your current points will expire.

4. You could downgrade from personal Platinum to Green (no bonus, but much lower annual fee and reasonable rewards). Then wait patiently for a bonus offer to upgrade to personal Gold, if that's the card you really want. Upgrade offers are typically not subject to the previous cardholder exclusion, but do read the terms.

5. Another way to circumvent the terms is to receive a targeted offer which does not include the previous cardholder exclusion. In recent years these offers have primarily been for Business Platinum and Business Gold cards. See this thread: AmEx Targeted NLL cards offers There is no mechnism to request a targeted offer.

Last edited by mia; Feb 29, 2024 at 7:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.