FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/982652-archive-lost-baggage-luggage-delay-loss-damage-advice-etc-pre-2018-a.html)

JDiver Dec 26, 2015 7:09 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 25917513)
Thanks, and thanks to the mods for the move

El "sistema" se ha vuelto una canijada. The "system" has gone to the dogs.

Duke787 Dec 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Question for the experts. AA cracked the hard plastic shell plate inside the bottom of my checked duffle bag. The plate holds the wheels so they are now unusable.

CSR here at RDU claims they can't do anything because the wheels are protruding so therefore it's not their problem.

Am I going to get anywhere with this either at the airport or filing a report online? If not I may give Citi a try since I used the Citi Prestige for the flight and it allegedly covers damage.

3Cforme Dec 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25917522)
El "sistema" se ha vuelto una canijada. The "system" has gone to the dogs.

That is an invitation to DOT enforcement action. Carriers have 30 days to acknowledge a written complaint and 60 days 'to send a substantive response.'

AA may not have enough well-trained response reps but surely there's enough lawyers to guide them to minimum compliance.

RaflW Dec 29, 2015 11:33 pm

Has anyone had experience getting bags delivered to Summit County, CO (or I suppose any AA bags that need to get delivered 92+ miles from the destination airport).

It's a mountain drive, though Interstate, to get up here. Do they just do one run per day with a courier? Our friends were part of the massive mess at DFW on Sunday/Monday. IE: booked Sunday, managed to get on as standby on Monday, but w/o their bags making the standby.

The tracking app says they bags have finally arrived at baggage claim at DEN. Now what? Long hold times on the phone, of course...

JDiver Dec 30, 2015 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 25918353)
Question for the experts. AA cracked the hard plastic shell plate inside the bottom of my checked duffle bag. The plate holds the wheels so they are now unusable.

CSR here at RDU claims they can't do anything because the wheels are protruding so therefore it's not their problem.

Am I going to get anywhere with this either at the airport or filing a report online? If not I may give Citi a try since I used the Citi Prestige for the flight and it allegedly covers damage.

It's pure B.S., of course, and USDOT has become tired of these shenanigans.

Next time you communicate with AA, refer to (or include a copy of):

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Exec_Plat Dec 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW (Post 25934014)
Has anyone had experience getting bags delivered to Summit County, CO (or I suppose any AA bags that need to get delivered 92+ miles from the destination airport).

It's a mountain drive, though Interstate, to get up here. Do they just do one run per day with a courier? Our friends were part of the massive mess at DFW on Sunday/Monday. IE: booked Sunday, managed to get on as standby on Monday, but w/o their bags making the standby.

The tracking app says they bags have finally arrived at baggage claim at DEN. Now what? Long hold times on the phone, of course...

They will send a courier out. No guarantees on 'one trip per day'... AA baggage gives it to the low bid courier and thats that.

I collect phone numbers. When I lose a bag or one is delayed I will try and scarf up every telephone number I can at the baggage desk. Asking gets you an 800 number. Snooping can get you a direct number. Ive also called the ticket counter number if I have that and gotten either a transfer or a direct number from them....

RaflW Dec 30, 2015 12:26 pm

So it's now Wednesday afternoon, hold times are nuts, twitter DM has gone unanswered, and we're just sitting out a ski day. I know DFW was a disaster, but for an itn. that was supposed to arrive DEN Sunday afternoon, this is really starting to suck.

My friend din't get a direct number for the bag desk in Denver (in fach the bag desk phone rang while she did paperwork and one rep said to the other, "Don't answer it, you'll be on the phone for ever helping people" which didn't inspire confidence.

That said, if anyone has direct #s to AA in Denver and was willing to private message me here (or post it), we'd really appreciate it!

Aleko Dec 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aleko (Post 25838237)
Well, according to one agent I spoke with today, they are currently working on claims filed in August. Another one told me I should hear back from them within two days of submitting my baggage questionnaire... I guess we'll see.

Just to give an update, I have to give AA thumbs up on this one. I called to follow up on my case about a week after sending my claim form, got a nice agent on the phone who asked me a few questions (mostly all the same questions that were on the form). He asked if I had proof of purchase (with price) for my suitcase because it was required for claims over $150 (I put $300 as value on my claim form). I told him I didn't, but I found a link to the same bag currently being on sale at Macy's for $170 (and provided him with that link). He asked if I would accept $170 (otherwise, I would have to come up with original receipt as a proof of price to get my requested $300), which I did. I had a check for $170 in my hands a week later. ^

Exec_Plat Dec 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW (Post 25936698)
So it's now Wednesday afternoon, hold times are nuts, twitter DM has gone unanswered, and we're just sitting out a ski day. I know DFW was a disaster, but for an itn. that was supposed to arrive DEN Sunday afternoon, this is really starting to suck.

My friend din't get a direct number for the bag desk in Denver (in fach the bag desk phone rang while she did paperwork and one rep said to the other, "Don't answer it, you'll be on the phone for ever helping people" which didn't inspire confidence.

That said, if anyone has direct #s to AA in Denver and was willing to private message me here (or post it), we'd really appreciate it!

If Im sitting out ski days, Im in a car NOW going to pick it up!

flipmooooooode Dec 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Anyone have advice on what my plan of attack should be to find a bag that is (supposedly) sitting at an unspecified baggage claim in an unspecified terminal at DFW? My flight to DFW on Saturday diverted to Shreveport, and I decided to rent a car and just drive home from there. I called Shreveport today, and an agent there said my bag was loaded on a flight to DFW, but didn't know which one. ...Ok, great that it's not lost, but it's AA, so it could have gone to any one of 20+ bag claims spread across 4 different terminals at DFW. Since SHV -> DFW is a short hop, I checked terminal B last night with no luck. Seems like in the chaos of rescheduling, some SHV -> DFW flights did indeed go to terminals A and C. Is there a logical way to go about this, other than doing a walking tour of every bag claim? Should I just do nothing and hope someone finally scans the bag tag? The last place the tag was scanned was Shreveport. Seems they don't actually scan those things as often as I thought...

Exec_Plat Dec 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by flipmooooooode (Post 25937183)
Anyone have advice on what my plan of attack should be to find a bag that is (supposedly) sitting at an unspecified baggage claim in an unspecified terminal at DFW? My flight to DFW on Saturday diverted to Shreveport, and I decided to rent a car and just drive home from there. I called Shreveport today, and an agent there said my bag was loaded on a flight to DFW, but didn't know which one. ...Ok, great that it's not lost, but it's AA, so it could have gone to any one of 20+ bag claims spread across 4 different terminals at DFW. Since SHV -> DFW is a short hop, I checked terminal B last night with no luck. Seems like in the chaos of rescheduling, some SHV -> DFW flights did indeed go to terminals A and C. Is there a logical way to go about this, other than doing a walking tour of every bag claim? Should I just do nothing and hope someone finally scans the bag tag? The last place the tag was scanned was Shreveport. Seems they don't actually scan those things as often as I thought...

In all likelihood your bag is actually being stored somewhere WAITING to be scanned. Perhaps out in the open, but perhaps behind closed doors. Even if you searched every bag claim you might not see it....

RaflW Dec 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 25936857)
If I'm sitting out ski days, I'm in a car NOW going to pick it up!

Frankly they were so exhausted from the 30+ hour nightmare getting out of DFW, basically not sleeping and going to over a dozen different gates in 3 terminals in search of elusive standby seats, that Tuesday was a write-off for skiing.

Today there was energy for a major shopping excursion to the Columbia Outlet store in Silverthorne, and skiing starts tomorrow. AA will be getting all the receipts (my friends were very restrained and found good bargains at the outlet). Part of it is lacking that much confidence that the bags could in fact be found at DEN's AA bag office -- it was a mess when they left the terminal Monday night.

And AA's bag tracking I.T. is a customer confounding set of three webpages/sites (two by external providers, both of which crap out as you try to use them), and after 2.5 hours on useless telephone hold this morning we said f-it, let's shop. AA on Twitter was not really much use, either, just apologized and linked us to the same dead-end IT 'answers.'

And if AA balks at reimbursement, my friends will claim on their trip interruption insurance. We did debate the merits of a drive back to DEN but decided to stay here where the vacation is, given uncertainty of locating the bags at DEN.

I realize the DFW tornado meltdown, followed by ORD snow has been very significant. But AA's disruption recovery system is serously understaffed and under-resourced. And that's my nice way of saying it...

JonV Dec 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Posting here on the off chance there's something I could be doing, or some number I could be calling, that I haven't tried yet:

We were caught up in the DFW weather issues last Sat/Sun, and our four bags have now been missing for over three days. We were originally flying JAC-DFW-MIA on Saturday, were diverted to SAT, flight rescheduled for Sunday morning, with a crazy rerouting of SAT-DFW-IAD-EWR-FLL, the last two legs on UA. We checked in our bags on time Sunday morning, but huge delays meant we were already guaranteed to miss the connection at DFW before even boarding at SAT. Luckily we managed to get rebooked onto AA's direct afternoon flight DFW-FLL while still airside at SAT, and we arrived at FLL around 9pm Sunday evening. Obviously our bags weren't there - the online tracker showed them being unloaded at IAD about an hour earlier - so I went to the AA baggage office and filed a delayed baggage report.

I've spoken to the AA baggage call center several times now, and each time they have called IAD, apparently been assured that the bags were expedited to FLL, but they've been unable to reach FLL and have instead "sent them an urgent message". Nothing seems to have come of these "urgent messages" - the online bag tracker still shows the bags' arrival at IAD on Sunday evening as the latest event.

I suppose the bags may still be somewhere at FLL waiting to be scanned, but it's been almost four days now. Is it possible I made a mistake in going to AA at FLL - should I have filed my report at the UA office instead, since the bags were checked on an itinerary that had a UA flight as the final leg arriving into FLL? I've filled out UA's online form for delayed baggage, just in case, but haven't heard back from them yet.

The latest status is that when I got through to the AA baggage center today after a 90 minute wait, the agent said she already had my file number, that there was a "special team handling your case", and that she would forward me. I immediately got an answering machine for the central baggage office saying all agents are currently busy, please try again later... and now I'm facing another 90 minute wait just to get back to the agent who tried to forward me.

Is there anything else I could/should be doing at this point?

RaflW Dec 31, 2015 12:15 pm

"Is there anything else I could/should be doing at this point?"

We have a very similar question. Calls made to the 800# for delayed bags (if made late at night when hold times are not 2 or 3 hours) reach agents who can only send emails to the DEN bag office where our friends bags have been languishing for 3 days now.

The agent reached last night basically said that they can't even call the internal number for DEN because the Bag Office there won't answer. So the CSRs just send emails off to DEN with no way to know if a response happens. This is an unconscionable lack of customer service. I get that they don't want the public to be able to call that desk, but from other AA staff who are tasked with getting you your items?

Total B.S.

I am less than 50 e.q.p.s from AA Gold, and after watching this debacle unfold (not just for our friends, but seeing other friends in misery on Facebook, and other FTers here, etc) I'll stick with Delta. I have no illusions that they won't have delayed bags - we had a snafu at IAH 18 months ago, and it will happen from time to time. But I don't think DL would ever be this cavalier and inept.

JonV Jan 1, 2016 9:22 am

Well, I actually got a response to my twitter DM - several DMs back and forth in fact - but the conclusion was just "please continue working our baggage team". Which unfortunately involves 1-2 hour waits followed by an agent who seems competent and ready to help but is "unable to reach" the FLL baggage office.