FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/982652-archive-lost-baggage-luggage-delay-loss-damage-advice-etc-pre-2018-a.html)

arlflyer Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 25151123)
Sometimes people travel for more than just a 3 day business trip - try for a couple of back-to-back cruises with a land trip before and after (or between) :D

Swim trunks, two pairs of shorts, two golf shirts, belt, underwear, Sperrys, shaving kit. Done. Wash it all out in the sink.

But I know that different folks' needs vary - I am definitely a minimalist.

The worst is drastically different climates - winter to tropical, etc. Though that just gets me on volume, not weight.

_kurt Jul 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 25146603)
If you want an expensive, FABRIC designer suitcase you should buy a shipping carton for it.

I'm surprised to see people criticizing a $300 eagle creek bag as "expensive… designer" etc. To me, eagle creek is a well priced, sturdily built, good value brand. There are plenty of folks on this forum who pay twice as much for a suitcase...

Kensterfly Jul 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt (Post 25152992)
I'm surprised to see people criticizing a $300 eagle creek bag as "expensive… designer" etc. To me, eagle creek is a well priced, sturdily built, good value brand. There are plenty of folks on this forum who pay twice as much for a suitcase...

Well, "expensive" is relative but using a floral fabric suitcase for checked baggage and getting upset if it gets dirty is just looney tunes. I have a $500 Victorinex carry-on. I don't throw a fit if my bag gets a few marks on it if I need to check it.

Khuxford Jul 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Help with baggage claim!(miles)

Hi everyone, I may be posting this in the wrong venue, if so please just give me a heads up! I currently have an open baggage claim with American Airlines for my luggage they lost on 6/24. I just received it today and the rep I spoke to said they will still reimburse me for the items I have had to replace. After 30+ days, I've replaced everything lol. So I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice; I'm taking a trip to Germany in September, I need some extra miles to top up my account to get a business class ticket for myself. Do you think I could go about it and see if they would just give me the miles or a voucher for the ticket? I would rather do this than go through the hassle of gathering the receipts and sending all the junk in. Thanks for your help!

Yoshi212 Jul 31, 2015 12:00 am

It's worth a shot. The department might not be able to give large amounts of miles that you desire by design or they might have flexibility. If you're willing to forgo reimbursement in dollars and just ask for miles they might go for it. I've had luck when it comes to being bumped from a flight and asking for a larger voucher amount and decline a hotel if I have a place to stay. As this is generally less paperwork for the employee they often jump at the deal. Some have declined saying my voucher amount was too high to add more to.

JDiver Jul 31, 2015 10:31 am

I rather suspect this would be best asked in the (pre-merger AA forum; I've alerted the moderators. In the meantime:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Djokison Aug 1, 2015 10:15 am

GIG lost baggage service phone number?

Does anyone know the direct number to contact AA baggage service in Rio? (Or know any way of contacting them for that matter?)

TIA

AAExpDFW Aug 1, 2015 10:36 am

Off the GIG website... Local res plus and airport phone

Central Reservations - Rio de Janeiro: 4502-5005
Central Reservations - São Paulo: 4502-4000
Central Reservations - other cities: 0300 789 7778
Airport Phone: +55 21 3398-4929
Check-in: Terminal 1
Code: AA

inpd Aug 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Should be start demanding miles/compensation for late baggage?

Personally, I rarely ask for miles because quite frankly I have far too many already.

But I do find asking for miles is a good way to get an airlines attention and hopefully correct bad behavior.

With that in mind, I've noticed that the year before last year on about 30+ flights no missing/late bags. But in the last year. Wow. It seems one in three flights my bags arrive one day, some time 3 days late. Its very annoying.

Often1 Aug 22, 2015 1:38 pm

You can ask for anything you want. You can even demand it. But, AA could care less. Unlike other carriers, it tends not to toss miles around.

If you are seriously experiencing a 33% significant delay rate and fly a lot, something is genuinely wrong on your end.

inpd Aug 22, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 25311565)
You can ask for anything you want. You can even demand it. But, AA could care less. Unlike other carriers, it tends not to toss miles around.

If you are seriously experiencing a 33% significant delay rate and fly a lot, something is genuinely wrong on your end.

Correct, AA doesn't throw around miles but I dont care about that. I just want someone to notice and some sort of corrective action.

Compared to last year I am booking tighter connections. For example in international transit from Asia via LAX I booked a 2.5 hour connection (bags 2 days late). I booked a domestic connection via DFW of 1 hour (bags arrived 1 day late). But they are of course all within MCT.

FWAAA Aug 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes, the OP should demand miles and other compensation every time their bags are delayed. I know I do.

The OP's high bag delay rate is precisely why I rarely check a bag. Learn to travel light and you can generally use carry on bags to prevent AA's chronic checked bag failures from ruining the trip. And if traveling with heavy/bulky things that absolutely have to travel, FedEX and UPS are experts at actually delivering on their promises.

jerry a. laska Aug 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 25311586)
Correct, AA doesn't throw around miles but I dont care about that. I just want someone to notice and some sort of corrective action.

Compared to last year I am booking tighter connections. For example in international transit from Asia via LAX I booked a 2.5 hour connection (bags 2 days late). I booked a domestic connection via DFW of 1 hour (bags arrived 1 day late). But they are of course all within MCT.

If you are just trying to get someone's attention isn't this just the same issue as this previous thread (and the advice and answers that were provided to you then):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...opriately.html

Originally Posted by arollins
3 things that are so simple, there is a contact AA on their website to send an email, you can also write a letter and you can call then to voice your concerns.
Thanks. I knew about them. But which one of those three methods is most likely to be listened to and not generate a pro-forma response with a bribe of miles ...

inpd Aug 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Well I think this is a related but more specific question, "Should we start demanding miles/compensation for late baggage?"

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2015 3:32 pm

I wish I could get a 33% delay rate given that the insurance on my American Express card pays out $700 to purchase items should the bags be delayed by 6 hours and another $700 after 24 hours

I would expect that the insurers would be reclaiming off the airline

Other airlines do give out prepaid visa cards ( or similar ) for delayed baggage to cover costs of incidentals and where haven't, have in the past ( when didn't have this insurance ) did just write in with receipts for purchases made and get them reimbursed by the airline