Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by britz
Awesome, thank you! I was wondering about submitting the whole receipt vs the first page. First page it is!
No problem! They only need to compare the ticket number and your FFP number on first page to your BP. Both should have AA's number on it. The email address ([email protected]) should have been provided by the call agent already, so you just need to hit reply with your BP, first page of receipt, AA number again and your phone number.

I've also never seen a number of missing credit reports like this happened just for one particular week. While AA's IT isn't great to start with, CX is nowhere better in terms of IT afaik.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
No problem! They only need to compare the ticket number and your FFP number on first page to your BP. Both should have AA's number on it. The email address ([email protected]) should have been provided by the call agent already, so you just need to hit reply with your BP, first page of receipt, AA number again and your phone number.

I've also never seen a number of missing credit reports like this happened just for one particular week. While AA's IT isn't great to start with, CX is nowhere better in terms of IT afaik.
Update- I called today and agent said the last note in the computer is that flights were credited elsewhere. The agent confirmed they have received my boarding pass and e-ticket and requested it be looked in to. I was hoping she would be able to see the AA number as you said but she said there was nothing she could do until it was investigated by a "special team". I guess I'll call again Monday.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by britz
Update- I called today and agent said the last note in the computer is that flights were credited elsewhere. The agent confirmed they have received my boarding pass and e-ticket and requested it be looked in to. I was hoping she would be able to see the AA number as you said but she said there was nothing she could do until it was investigated by a "special team". I guess I'll call again Monday.
Sorry you have to deal with this. Did they send you the email after the call, which mentions a reply with these items is good?

I could tell my last phone agent definitely did some work, but my 2nd call was a simple "nothing I could do at the moment other than waiting for partner's confirmation" just like yours. I was not even sure if she meant CX or her team member, since CX said everything was sent over to AA already (basically "nothing we could do")
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I called about my 8/29 LAX-HKG segment last night and no love for me either. Agent said someone had 'picked up' my missing miles request (not sure if it was the first one or the second one I put in) and that they were waiting for a response (from CX I presume). Also that I should wait for 30 days before I bother anyone.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by kabroui
I called about my 8/29 LAX-HKG segment last night and no love for me either. Agent said someone had 'picked up' my missing miles request (not sure if it was the first one or the second one I put in) and that they were waiting for a response (from CX I presume). Also that I should wait for 30 days before I bother anyone.
I was told only 7 - 10 business days, and I waited 7 between 1st and 2nd call. Sounds like a lazy agent to me...

Off topic, now even my AA ticketed AA operated flight credits failed to post immediately (3 days after the trip)...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
Any recent experience with Upgrade Issues?

I was wondering if anyone can share recent experience with credits posting on AA with flights upgraded with Asia Miles. Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:47 pm

I was told only 7 - 10 business days, and I waited 7 between 1st and 2nd call. Sounds like a lazy agent to me...

Off topic, now even my AA ticketed AA operated flight credits failed to post immediately (3 days after the trip)...
I had the same issue. End Aug flights were not credited into my AAdv account. Called Exec Plat line and got transferred to Customer service. Missing miles credit request was made. Response after a week was that the missing miles were credited to a different FFP. Called my company travel agent requesting for invoice to be able to send together with my boarding passes as evidence that my AAdv number was recorded at time of travel. My travel agent made another missing miles credit request on my behalf and I also scanned and send my boarding passes to the customer service email address. My miles were credited after 4-5 days.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by kaninahbu
I had the same issue. End Aug flights were not credited into my AAdv account. Called Exec Plat line and got transferred to Customer service. Missing miles credit request was made. Response after a week was that the missing miles were credited to a different FFP. Called my company travel agent requesting for invoice to be able to send together with my boarding passes as evidence that my AAdv number was recorded at time of travel. My travel agent made another missing miles credit request on my behalf and I also scanned and send my boarding passes to the customer service email address. My miles were credited after 4-5 days.
Glad you could get it done within short period of time but it's pretty strange why almost everyone in the same week got "posted to other FFP".
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just called again and got the 'we are still waiting for Cathay and it could take up to 30 days' response from Aadvantage.... sheesh. I don't even have an Asia Miles account, so I don't see anyway they could say they posted it to another FFP.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I finally got my missing flights from 8/25, 8/26, 8/27 posted then had to ask for a few flights to retroactively give me the EXP bonus instead of the PRO bonus.

Somehow, my supposed first flight after EXP would not retroactively adjust the elite bonus, but after proving the math to the AAdvantage agent and we realized it was only just 938 extra RDM, she gave me an extra 1000 RDM as a customer service bonus instead of jumping through more hoops to get it fixed.

This pushes my YTD EQDs to 15K, so now I know what it’s like to get the MQD equiv of DL Diamond, and my EQMs to 114K. After a few more trips, will end the year at 130,500 EQMs, wondering if it’s worth MRing to 150K or focus requalifying next year?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I finally got my missing flights from 8/25, 8/26, 8/27 posted then had to ask for a few flights to retroactively give me the EXP bonus instead of the PRO bonus.

Somehow, my supposed first flight after EXP would not retroactively adjust the elite bonus, but after proving the math to the AAdvantage agent and we realized it was only just 938 extra RDM, she gave me an extra 1000 RDM as a customer service bonus instead of jumping through more hoops to get it fixed.

This pushes my YTD EQDs to 15K, so now I know what it’s like to get the MQD equiv of DL Diamond, and my EQMs to 114K. After a few more trips, will end the year at 130,500 EQMs, wondering if it’s worth MRing to 150K or focus requalifying next year?
Depends on how easy it is to clear SWU on your route. To me it's a clear no given how hard it is for SWU to clear (DFW-HKG of course). JFK-LHR or other TATL might be easier to clear, but the I fare is fairly reasonable at the moment. Personally I would rather credit additional flights back to MPC (even MPC is the worst among OW) just in case CX leaves OW...But that's just me.

To me losing CX lounge accesses in LHR, YVR and HKG (and the ability to earn AA credits on CX) is worse than losing 4 SWU. Obviously this does not apply to AA members who fly domestic or non-Asia routes.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 27, 2017 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Depends on how easy it is to clear SWU on your route. To me it's a clear no given how hard it is for SWU to clear (DFW-HKG of course). JFK-LHR or other TATL might be easier to clear, but the I fare is fairly reasonable at the moment. Personally I would rather credit additional flights back to MPC (even MPC is the worst among OW) just in case CX leaves OW...But that's just me.

To me losing CX lounge accesses in LHR, YVR and HKG (and the ability to earn AA credits on CX) is worse than losing 4 SWU. Obviously this does not apply to AA members who fly domestic or non-Asia routes.
MPC is not the worst among OW - it is hard to climb up the ranks, but once there, renewal is not too bad. It gives SWUs that are way better than the AA form of it, just because inventory for upgrades are almost always available. Mileage accrual does kind of sting, but again Asia miles are transferable from many more major currencies, and are easy to earn in both the US and HK. It also is significantly of better value than AA (or even AS) miles, for those that bother enough to look into the program details with care. DM/GO get through the waitlist at certain times that AA/AS grabbers can only dream about. CX hardly cares about service recovery for OW elites, but a lot for their DM/GOs.

Trust me, once you switch to MPC, you will immediately start to hope for CX to leave oneworld
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
MPC is not the worst among OW - it is hard to climb up the ranks, but once there, renewal is not too bad. It gives SWUs that are way better than the AA form of it, just because inventory for upgrades are almost always available. Mileage accrual does kind of sting, but again Asia miles are transferable from many more major currencies, and are easy to earn in both the US and HK. It also is significantly of better value than AA (or even AS) miles, for those that bother enough to look into the program details with care. DM/GO get through the waitlist at certain times that AA/AS grabbers can only dream about. CX hardly cares about service recovery for OW elites, but a lot for their DM/GOs.

Trust me, once you switch to MPC, you will immediately start to hope for CX to leave oneworld
Really? I calculated my flight activity (E class LAX-HKG mostly) and it wouldn't even earn me MPC Gold. I'd be stuck at Silver (OW Ruby) so I don't see how easy it would be to renew MPC Diamond? With my same flight activity, I easily make EXP on AA.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
CX hardly cares about service recovery for OW elites, but a lot for their DM/GOs.
If CX is rhat good, why would it need to be giving out compensation?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Reason for Denial
CX HKG LAX Posted to Other FFP

This is a load of junk - I don’t even have Marco Polo/Asiamiles number. My AA number was on my original reservation both ways.

Edit: Wow looks Like I am not the only one getting this fake denial notice. Luckily have a picture of my boarding pass, etc.

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Sep 28, 2017 at 5:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.