Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 767-300ER / 763 “Next Generation Business Class” / NGBC seating (OBSOLETE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
OBSOLETE: Boeing 767-323ER "Next a Generation Business Class" / NGBC
angled flat Business class seats 2 - 2 - 2 configuration

The first AA 767-323ER with angled flat 2x2x2 "Next Generation Business Class" flew 8 June 2006. The last 763 commercial flight with NGBC seats was Sunday 29 Oct 2017, American Airlines flight number 1236 from Miami (MIA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). (Through previous week it had flown between JFK and CDG, FCO, MXP. THERE ARE NO MORE ANGLED FLAT SEATS.

"The last angle-flat widebody aircraft in American Airlines’ fleet was a 25-year old Boeing 767-300ER with the registration N373AA. The aircraft will be ferried to the desert in Roswell, New Mexico, on Monday as American Airlines flight 9709. This last flight will be the 16,357 flight cycle recorded by this aircraft, which is just shy of 100,000 flight hours since being delivered brand new to American Airlines in June 1992." (TPG)

See The Points Guy American Airlines Just Flew Its Last Widebody Flight With Angle-Flat Business Class Seats 30 Oct 2017.

N.B. Approximately half the 763 fleet will be converted to the new 763 version with fully horizontal flat seats as described in this thread, and will initially be found on transatlantic routes, in accordance with the AA-BA-IB Joint Business Agreement; the remainder will fly non transatlantic routes until they are grounded.

NGBC Seat Specifications

Angled lie-flat, 9 degrees slope, in seat-containing "shell"
Width: 763: 20 in/51 cm regular, 23.6 in/60 cm in sleep mode with outer armrest dropped down; 777/75L: 21 in/53 cm regular, 26 in/66 cm in sleep mode with outer armrest dropped down
Length: 77 in/195 cm
Pitch: 763: 59 in/150 cm; (777 60-61 in/152-155 cm; 75L 58-59 in/147-150 cm)
Adjustments: 5 motors, 4 preset positions, 1 memory
Forward slide: 10 in/25 cm
Power port: 763/777 15v DC, car cigarette lighter socket, 75W (probable), on the 763 also used to power portable entertainment unit
Entertainment (763): none built-in; flights to/from and outside of North America are provisioned with portable 10.6" (1.78:1 screen ratio) unit (PEA by IMS Inflight), built on Panasonic hardware and Windows XP OS, with noise-cancelling headsets (Bose QuietComfort 3)
Manufacturer: Recaro Aircraft Seating
Model: apparently a customized next-generation version of the CL 6510
Cushions: unknown.

Helpful Hints for Using the NGBC Seats

DOs
Push the sleep position button again after the seat has stopped moving to cycle through two different preset positions.
Memorize your most comfortable position by pressing the MEMORY button once - that makes it easy to recover that position when you change seat position to exit or allow a fellow passenger to exit/enter (just hold the MEMORY button down).
Find the magazines in the second (bottom) shelf, below the one marked something like "No Magazines." Many seem to overlook the presence of a second shelf in the 763; there is a "glove box" in the 777.
Brace yourself using the seat shell in front of you to climb over a sleeping passenger who is blocking your access to the aisle from your window or middle seat.
Try putting a folded duvet or pillow under your feet to have a flatter seat.
Use the centrally located vertically oriented "glove box"-like divided space (between seats) to hold water bottles and other items (these are narrower in the 763 than in the 777).
Hang an old amenity kit or shoe bag from the coat hook and put your shoes or other items in it.
Retract the outboard seatside divider for a bit more room - this is best in a window seat.

DON'Ts
Put ANYTHING (including shoes) in the footwell space if you're reclining fully in the sleeping position: they may be damaged, or the seat won't fully extend.
Operate the seat without the seatbelt on: a seatbelt can get caught in the seat and can be difficult to retrieve.
Operate the seat with objects and wires on it: they can get snagged in the seat and can be difficult to extract.
Take the pillow and blanket and put it behind the seat in the space there; the pillow can slide under the seat where it can't be retrieved.
Carry-on Storage in NGBC Seat Footwells

The problem with putting your carry-on in front of you is that it will have to be removed if you recline your seat. The space where your footrest goes cannot fit both the footrest and your carry-on (or much of anything when the seat is fully extended). Some use their shoe bag / amenity kit for storage of small personal objects and hang it from the coat hanger in front of the seat.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 767-300ER / 763 “Next Generation Business Class” / NGBC seating (OBSOLETE)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The 767 with the new J Class seats/cabin flew first time with passengers this AM. DFW – LAX (AA #2407).

It will do some HNL service for a few days then go into Europe service.

EDIT TO ADD:

First hand reports on the seats
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581413

also:
post 517 in this thread
post 594 in this thread
post 917 in this thread
post 920 in this thread
post 928 in this thread
post 967 in this thread
post 1013 in this thread
post 1033 in this thread
post 1037 in this thread
post 1060 in this thread

The following 763's have been-- or are being-- converted presently:
Tail#'s
351 354 355 357 366 396 397 398 399

EDITED by moderator to add link to the Wiki article and links to a couple of photos like this one. and this other.

N.B. ALL 767-323ER "763"s have been converted to NGBC.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2008 at 2:57 pm Reason: to add reports / update with Wiki link
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The 767 with the new J Class seats/cabin flew first time with passengers this AM. DFW – LAX (AA #2407).

It will do some HNL service for a few days then go into Europe service.
^ ^ Any word on the registration number?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

[info corrected below]

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 8, 2006 at 9:38 am
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:19 am
TR35R

How many mice on it?
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
^ ^ Any word on the registration number?

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:25 am

Well, expertflyer shows that the flight was actually a 757-- so I'm not too sure of the info I was provided.. but suffice to say, for sure it flew somewhere for the first time w/ passengers today and will fly HNL for a bit, then Europe.

Actually, AA2407 was on the timetable as a 757 and flight tracker is showing it as a 763 West of TUS at the moment. It's due into LAX @ 908AM PDT.

Thanks Jon for the rumor!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:26 am

Well, expertflyer shows that the flight was actually a 757-- so I'm not too sure of the info I was provided
FlightAware is showing AA2407 as a 763.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL2407
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Though in route right now if there was an FTer on that flight once you see this give us a review.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Actually, AA2407 was on the timetable as a 757 and flight tracker is showing it as a 763 West of TUS at the moment. It's due into LAX @ 908AM PDT.
Ah-- thanks!
I've never known really where to accurately read that type of info. There is no such thing as a "more accurate source" than the one that gave me this info, so, I was surprised to see (what I thought was) contradictory info about the flight-- my bAAd.

Looking forward to some first-hand reports about the new product!

EDIT TO ADD: By the way-- I wasn't even right about the expertflyer info-- it clearly says: "DFW-LAX NRML B757 NOW OPTG 767C EDM FTWDP [name]"

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 8, 2006 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:38 am

Anybody know what route it will be on in European service?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by vedette
Anybody know what route it will be on in European service?
I don't know but I am getting a little giddy hoping I will have one on my DFW-LGW trip I have booked in J in Nov.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by chsb
I don't know but I am getting a little giddy hoping I will have one on my DFW-LGW trip I have booked in J in Nov.
Hopefully by Nov. they will have few more planes equipped with the new seats....

I too have a quick trip to LGW in early Nov and a trip to DUB in late Nov and another one in early Dec. I hope I get "lucky" on at least one of these flights
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat
I've been waiting for this development for some time -- thanks for the news JonNYC. I can't wait to hear the first reports from FT flyers!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just in...

The reg. # is N396.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:19 am

Looks like it's going on to form flight #283 to HNL this afternoon, then turn around and do flight #8 back to DFW overnight. No guarantees of course, but if you're planning to be on one of those flights, you might have a good surprise in store!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT
Just in...

The reg. # is N396.
Probably N396AN. I searched on the ACARS database (which is not 100% complete) and there's no activity for this plane since 21APR which would make sense. Plenty of hits for other AA 763s I searched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.