FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   MVD / Montevideo, Uruguay AA Flights and Contract Lounge Access (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/674152-mvd-montevideo-uruguay-aa-flights-contract-lounge-access-consolidated.html)

flyr16 Oct 27, 2009 6:12 am

Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20 (Post 12716104)
Can anyone update the current lounge situation at MVD? I am flying next month in J.

I am coming from the Four Seasons hotel a few hours away so will probably get the airport early. What time does check-in open? Would it be possible to check a bag in the afternoon, then go into the city for a few hours? How far is the airport from the city? I have never been to Uruguay before so any info will be very helpful!

We will also be heading through MVD in a few months time. Can you please post an update of lounge access, etc., upon your return? The new airport looks terrific and should be the "newest" "best designed" facility in Latin America once it opens. Thanks.

1/4MM@20 Oct 27, 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flyr16 (Post 12716445)
We will also be heading through MVD in a few months time. Can you please post an update of lounge access, etc., upon your return? The new airport looks terrific and should be the "newest" "best designed" facility in Latin America once it opens. Thanks.

Will do - I am there Nov 28th so I hope the new terminal is open by then...

rabble Oct 27, 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by flyr16 (Post 12716445)

The new terminal / airport really, is supposed to open November 15th. My understanding is that it will NOT have any airline run lounges. So no OW lounge. There's an airport run salon VIP with both a departures and arrivals lounge.

IB and LAN give passes to OW sapphires and emeralds to use the departure lounges, but AA only does it based on class of service. The only other alliance flying to MVD is TAM, i'm flying them next week on a hop up to GRU, but i don't have status with *A.

I'll give a report on the new terminal, i'm flying out on the day they are supposed to start using it.

TULOKCICT Nov 11, 2009 12:41 pm

I look forward to reading your report as I am thinking about flying out of MVD at the end of the month (side trip from Buenos Aires). Does anyone know how much a taxi from the city center to MVD should cost?

Originally Posted by rabble (Post 12716516)
I'll give a report on the new terminal, i'm flying out on the day they are supposed to start using it.

BlassSJU Dec 3, 2009 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by TULOKCICT (Post 12807347)
I look forward to reading your report as I am thinking about flying out of MVD at the end of the month (side trip from Buenos Aires). Does anyone know how much a taxi from the city center to MVD should cost?

Anyone knows how much this cab ride costs?

BlassSJU Dec 3, 2009 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by TULOKCICT (Post 12807347)

Anyone knows how much this cab ride costs?

1/4MM@20 Dec 3, 2009 3:21 pm

Flew out of MVD last Saturday night. I can only assume that the new terminal was not open as the terminal certainly did not seem new.

Lounge was fine. Pretty small but empty at the time of the AA flight. Small selection of booze, some wine (but no opener!).

Boarding was by bus which is always a pain....

bkkth Dec 4, 2009 8:44 am

Cabs and New Terminal

If I recall correctly, there is a flat rate from MVD to downtown. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $20. Perhaps a bit less, but it didn't seem to be any bargain to me. There is also bus service from the airport to Tres Cruses, the bus terminal in the city.

Regarding the new terminal, it was supposed to open in mid-November. When I stopped by the Pluna office in Punta del Este last week I was told it was open, but simply not in use. Go figure! Now I am told it will be in use by mid-December. I hope to make use of it on January 3rd! I would bet it is a beautiful facility.

MileHigh Dec 4, 2009 10:10 am

I'm off for my annual pilgrimage to Punta 28 Dec (MIA-MVD) and hope the new terminal is open by then. The buses are a real pain.

Hope to return as a Punta del Este homeowner which mean more time there to enjoy the ambiente.

MileHigh Dec 21, 2009 10:57 pm

Any one have an update on the new terminal? Is it operating?

And the lounge situation: I'm in J so I'm assuming I'll have access to the VIP lounge. Has anyone tried the FastPass service for arrivals? Looks like it is offered for USD45.00 which I'm more than willing to pay to avoid the long immigration lines.

erik123 Dec 22, 2009 5:41 am

terminal isn't open yet - and doubt it'll be open till january.

marshall cope Dec 22, 2009 6:09 am

High Mile or Anyone

Please can u advise me how much it costs by taxi from MVD to Punta del Este.
Also how long does it take. Any info would be great travelling in Jan...

Many thanks in advance

MileHigh Dec 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by marshall cope (Post 13034909)
Please can u advise me how much it costs by taxi from MVD to Punta del Este.
Also how long does it take. Any info would be great travelling in Jan...

Many thanks in advance

I used a remise a couple of years ago and it ran US$225. Now I rent a car. There is a bus service but I don't know what that runs.

Last year I arrived at EZE, took a taxi from EZE to AEP and flew to Punta. I think the RT AEP-Punta-AEP was about US$300.

marshall cope Dec 24, 2009 9:34 am

High Mile or Anyone

HM thanks for your reply,,,, Getting excited about this trip.....Puntas meant to be a great place... Happy Holiday and thanks again...

bkkth Dec 25, 2009 11:57 am

MVD

Pluna has excellent fares from AEP (BsAs) to MVD. Book on line at www.flypluna.com. The buses from Montevideo to Punta stop at the airport on nearly all runs, so there is frequent and cheap bus service. Finally, I have it from a "local" that the new terminal probably won't open until after January due to the busy summer business in January. I arrive in about a week and was hoping the new terminal would be open. I shall see!